Question for you S&S owners...

JoeFin

Hi Guys
IMG_3425.JPG
Here is a pic of the Rocker Boxes on the Heads.

Easy to see these are not the TP Eng Rocker Boxes but rather the S&S Rocker Boxes.

IMG_3428.JPG

Wish I had the presence of mind to take a better pic showing the pocket of oil around the Exhaust Valve Spring.

I ended up grabbing 1/16 Aluminum filler rod, bending a small ball hoop in it, and running it down through the Return Oil Gallery all the way to the Crankshaft Counter Balancers.

When I pulled it back up it brought with it a good sized chunk of what appeared to by "Varnish" like you would expect in a gas tank and carburator. Wish I was smart enought to get a picture of that too.

IMG_3430.JPG

I also poured a couple ounces of motor oil in the valve spring gallery to make sure it was draining properly.

I only applied 15 psi of air pressure to the Timing Plug hole but I could hear to air exscaping through to oil gallery servicing the Exhaust Valve Spring.

Thoughts

john sachs

Hi Guys
View attachment 112007

Easy to see these are not the TP Eng Rocker Boxes but rather the S&S Rocker Boxes.

View attachment 112008

Wish I had the presence of mind to take a better pic showing the pocket of oil around the Exhaust Valve Spring.

I ended up grabbing 1/16 Aluminum filler rod, bending a small ball hoop in it, and running it down through the Return Oil Gallery all the way to the Crankshaft Counter Balancers.

When I pulled it back up it brought with it a good sized chunk of what appeared to by "Varnish" like you would expect in a gas tank and carburator. Wish I was smart enought to get a picture of that too.

View attachment 112009

I also poured a couple ounces of motor oil in the valve spring gallery to make sure it was draining properly.

I only applied 15 psi of air pressure to the Timing Plug hole but I could hear to air exscaping through to oil gallery servicing the Exhaust Valve Spring.

Thoughts
The heads drain oil to the crankcase from the drain holes along side the exhaust valve spring area. That's normal. If that drain back hole was almost plugged, that could possibly create your leak. A bad exhaust valve guide can pass oil through the exhaust port, blows around while riding, and that sometimes looks like a leaking lower rocker box gasket. Pull the pipe, and check the port.
John

Th3InfamousI

Administrator
Staff member
Those are the old style S&S Billet Rocker Boxes, the TP ones you got may not have the oiling holes lined up correctly if he sent you the later style Twin Cam on accident that they very well thought you had a later model bike. This is the kit you need.

john sachs

Those are the old style S&S Billet Rocker Boxes, the TP ones you got may not have the oiling holes lined up correctly if he sent you the later style Twin Cam on accident that they very well thought you had a later model bike. This is the kit you need.

The heads are Evolution style heads for 3 7/8", 4.00" & early TP engines . Probably have square intake ports. Looks like an EDELBROCK intake manifold also. Call Tom Pirrone at TP Eng. , in Conn.
John

Mickmorris

Supporting Member
Hi Guys
View attachment 112007

View attachment 112008

View attachment 112009

Thoughts
Yes that helps immensely! Pictures are worth a thousand words.

Th3InfamousI

Administrator
Staff member
The heads are Evolution style heads for 3 7/8", 4.00" & early TP engines . Probably have square intake ports. Looks like an EDELBROCK intake manifold also. Call Tom Pirrone at TP Eng. , in Conn.
John
Agreed, EVO heads. I should have been a little more clear.

Just for some more information for the guy if he wants to learn what he has. Here's the link off that gasket set I posted that Dennis Kirk had up for their instructions. They show the S&S 51-1051 rockers which are EVO style heads. S&S started using a single 1 piece metal gasket in the last few years on the 107 and down motors instead of the old 2-piece paper as shown in the instruction picture.

Last edited: