Primary Oil capacity?

kmalysa

Can anybody confirm the correct amount of fluid in a Primary for a 117cu Baker 6 speed, 05 Pitbull?
Owners manual shows 48oz, repair manual shows 32oz? the picture in the owners manual and a diagram in the repair manual seem to show a level that would be more consistant with 48oz.
When I drained mine got closer to 32oz out of it.
So which is correct 32 or 48oz????
Thanks Ken

moeszyslak

i believe if you look at the outer primary underneath where the inspection cover mounts it will say 1 quart capacity which is 32 ounces

BadBrad

2005 Pitbull
In Ohio you'll need 48 oz because the cold condenses the fluid more there than say Florida where it's warm and the heat expands. Sorry, it's Friday!!!!!!!!

32 sounds about right.

Raywood

The Pirate
Staff member
Calendar Participant
Troop Supporter
There was a correction put out by the factory on the 05 manual to correct this discrepancy

Vince81

Banned
*23* Ounces in the BAKER RSD Transmissions in ALL BDM Bikes.Thats Directly from Bert Baker & James Simonelli to me personally.It's also in every Shop Sheet I've got with New BAKER Transmissions I buy
My BAKER TorqueBox & DriveBrake Transmissions also take 23 ounces of Spectro 75-140 Full Synthetic.:2thumbs:
Vince

chacha

Chaff Your EHC!!
Calendar Participant
Well.....when I spoke with James at Baker, he was very clear. He said the initial load is 23 oz, but he then said to never put more then 20 oz in on a refil. I've measured the drain out a couple of times now and it's pretty much EXACTLY 20 oz.

Last edited:

Vince81

Banned
Well.....when I spoke with James at Baker, he was very clear. He said he initial load is 23 oz, but he then said to never put more then 20 oz in on a refil. I've measured the drain out a couple of times now and it's pretty much EXACTLY 20 oz.
In the past I've gotten like 21+ ounces outta my Original RSD Transmission outta the Pitbull when 1st built(after riding it and getting it good & warm).Every subsequent transmission I've installed in that Pitbull and the others has been a NEW In The Box BAKER which has taken
23 oz. of fluid ~without a doubt.
After riding the bike for about 30 minutes-(getting it good & warm)i've drained the original RSD transmission and gotten closer to 22 oz. so the only way to ensure that your not overfilling it is to *Level* the bike on a lift- put in 20 oz. and check the dipstick & fill repeatedly as necessary.
I dont reccomend "overfilling " any BAKER unit- but I also wanna know that it's Full and correctly up to capacity so I go by the 23 oz factory reccomended spec ALL the time.