Preventive maintenance?

Sven

1. Start from the front and go from one side to the other matching sides, or, move down the one whole side beginning at the front, and work from the back, then around up to the front again. That's, tighten/check nuts and bolts. You hold a shit load of tools in hand, and just find the right size and tighten. But this tightening is to see if it moves easily, not bark down on the head and move it with an over-torque.

2. White spray lith in a can, begin to spray every pivot point, meaning, peg pivots, lever pivots. Or, remove hardware and brush on anti-seize on the pivot bolt shafts and reassemble.

3. Liquids meaning, every two years you change brake fluids. The 3-amigos [trans-bag-primary] might be changed out as set each time.

4. Fork fluid would be ready to change out at this interval of 15k.

5. A cold compression test is noted by saving those numbers with a magic marker written somewhere on the toolbox; is the date, mileage, and comp numbers saved on the box, not lost on some piece of paper.

No H2O

Clean (or replace) air filter
Lube clutch and throttle/return cables
I use white nail polish to place witness marks on bolts so I can see if a bolt is starting to loosen

Mr. Wright

Knows some things
Supporting Member

DynoDave

Guru
Install new lifters @ 20,000 miles (per S&S).
I found this out the hard way. At 21,000 miles I dropped a lifter which trashed the camshaft.
Added HL2T limiters when I installed the new cam and lifters.

Sven

Battery terminal [corrosion] inspection and check tightening. Dielectric grease is heat-stable, vaseline is softer and heat will make it melt some, but better than nothing.

DynoDave

Guru
The rear drive pulleys on these bikes wear out fairly quickly. If you start getting weird noises at low speeds it may be the pulley.
The way to trouble shoot this problem is to put beeswax on the belt. If the noise stops (for about 100 miles) this is your problem.
You can also look online at images of worn pulleys for a visual confirmation.
If your bike is like mine the rear pulley matches the wheel. Exact replacements aren't available for the older models but you could use a Harley pulley.
A better solution is to have SuperMax machine off the teeth of your pulley and install their poly teeth. You'll never have to mess with it again.
Expensive but worth it in my opinion. Had mine done by them.

Last edited:
The rear drive pulleys on these bikes wear out fairly quickly. If you start getting weird noises at low speeds it may be the pulley.
The way to trouble shoot this problem is to put beeswax on the belt. If the noise stops (for about 100 miles) this is your problem.
You can also look online at images of worn pulleys for a visual confirmation.
If your bike is like mine the rear pulley matches the wheel. Exact replacements aren't available for the older models but you could use a Harley pulley.
A better solution is to have SuperMax machine off the teeth of your pulley and install their poly teeth. You'll never have to mess with it again.
Expensive but worth it in my opinion. Had mine done by them.
Thanks for the info!!