Party on the Farm II - 2023

Big D Florida

Troop Supporter
@mastiffdave
Hey Big'un...as always, have you and your lovely lady in my thoughts and prayers.
You know me better, or at least longer than most folks on the forum... I've got a long awaited return trip to Sturgis on the books this year, but would like very much to get home for your shindig this year. I'll be in touch.
Until then, safe travels and peaceful journeys brother.

liferider

Looking forward to retirement
Buffy so sorry for your loss. Y’all are in my prayers. Seems the last yr death has surrounded so many of us.

mastiffdave

Sitting out on a beautiful evening in barn thinking of some things about September.

I am proud to be blessed with a place that all the fine folks of this forum can gather and make new memories. I also am willing to take suggestions of things to do or change to make things better as good is never good enough in my world.

Two things are on my mind tonight and the first involves two of our favorite topics.
Food and our lovely ladies. I love that theses ladies bless us by coming and hanging with us but I see all the work these gals do to take care of the group while they are here and I don’t want any to feel like it’s expected of them to feed and clean up for us, they are to be honored in this group as far as I’m concerned .Everyone ,including the guys, helps out very generously and We’ve never missed a meal or refreshments and actually am looking to our tour of food that takes place here. I think it’s gone perfect for a lot of years by someone picking a meal and sponsering it but I don’t want to lose anyone for feeling under appreciated either. . If all are fine with this set up then let me be the first this year to Thank everyone for the meals , fabulous deserts, treats , farm fuel in quart jars, and the cleaning ,that we will enjoy. If there are any suggestions I’d love to hear them but privately please.

second is the group ride And I am wondering if it’s time to change it up a bit . As our group continues to grow so does the native population that are out on the roads with us. It’s a real challenge logistically to implement and it increases in stress each year Which I’m not afraid to do and actually enjoy the challenge. There is no feeling that compares to sharing a road adventure with a bunch of dogs and the comraderie during the day.
That being said there are members that medically are in need of food during the day . For catfish this is Provisions. That s why every ride will be a meal somewhere. Also with all the traffic here the group has to maintain a safe speed for the entire group.

That being said maybe I should just print up some maps of routes and just a bunch of small groups just take off. That way fast riders can run without endangering others And stop for food ,if and when they feel like it. .
Fir such large numbers there are only a few safe routes and I know they are getting boring so let’s hear some suggestions. (Private please)

For me it’s becoming more of a family reunion with family that you actually like instead of just some motorcycle event
I would be perfectly happy staying here and making sure a good meal is ready that evening and let everyone else ride.

Just some thoughts of mine trying to make a more enjoyable time for you all.

Can’t wait for party on the farm 2023.

Jersey Big Mike

100K mile club
Now if there was just a place close to the Pig Trail to take a break
Well there certainly is at the end of the Pig Trail (rte 40 end)
It would all depend on the groups desire for that stop -- Food is easy, food with libations a little more challenging.
We also could for a run, get to the end of the Pig Trail and divide into smaller groups who want different food choices etc -- we are not bound at the hip and we don't have to do everything together. Set a time and meet spot to re-group.
If we just stop there for needed break and not main meal, we could hit Alma for more food options on the way back.

mleach72

It looks like me and Tommy are bringing another friend to Arkansas. His name is Nate. He is a great guy. Tommy told him how much fun he had at the May Thang, and he wants to come along. He has an Indian Darkhorse Chief, but I warned him that he might buy a big dog when he gets home.:D

Chong

U-238
Well my observations ...

Alot of stress is on the hosts for these !! That stress is their personal commitment and devotion to give everybody the best experience possible . We need ways to reduce their stress !

They can't be in two places at once , Sometimes they need some flexibility to tend to unforseen circumstances.

Below comments are meant to reduce burden on hosts .. Someone to step in and coordinate efforts and take input from host .
Host has one person to deal with .. That person can sweat the details for there project.

Meal coordinator.
Doesn't have to be same person for each meal. Set time for meal, And keep it on schedule. They see to it Cooking/Food providers have what they need . Servers/Buffet set up is covered.
And Clean up is covered.

Ride corridinator.
Again not same person every time.
They keep eye on schedule Get a depart time , who's blocking . And works with a tail gunner. Help establish stop time length.
Work with host / ride leader for weather etc adjustments while out if needed . Host have final say .

They aren't the ride leader . And may not pick ride destiny, or food stops .

These roles aren't meant to take over direction . But someone Hosts or Particpants can get issues, questions answered or resolved .

Dry erase board ..
Has these things listed.
Meal/Ride time
Coordinator.
Ride leader
Ride general destination.
Ride lunch location
Any other stops.
Expected time spent at each stop.
Approx ride length.
Blockers, tail gunner.
Cook/kitchen person(s)
Buffet staff.
Meal/Kitchen clean up staff.

My $.02

PS
Keith done/does a great job of advanced meal planning.. he or someone needs to continue this .

Last edited:

HMAN

I just like my Freedom
Well my observations ...

Alot of stress is on the hosts for these !! That stress is their personal commitment and devotion to give everybody the best experience possible . We need ways to reduce their stress !

They can't be in two places at once , Sometimes they need some flexibility to tend to unforseen circumstances.

Below comments are meant to reduce burden on hosts .. Someone to step in and coordinate efforts and take input from host .
Host has one person to deal with .. That person can sweat the details for there project.

Meal coordinator.
Doesn't have to be same person for each meal. Set time for meal, And keep it on schedule. They see to it Cooking/Food providers have what they need . Servers/Buffet set up is covered.
And Clean up is covered.

Ride corridinator.
They keep eye on schedule Get a depart time , who's blocking . And works with a tail gunner. Help establish stop time length.
Work with host / ride leader for weather etc adjustments while out if needed . Host have final say .

These roles aren't meant to take over direction . But someone Hosts or Particpants can get issues, questions answered or resolved .

Dry erase board ..
Has these things listed.
Meal/Ride time
Coordinator.
Ride leader
Ride lunch location
Any other stops.
Approx ride length.
Blockers, tail gunner.
Cook/kitchen person(s)
Buffet staff.

My $.02

PS
Keith done/does a great job of advanced meal planning.. he or someone needs to continue this .
X2 on dry erase board.

Jersey Big Mike

100K mile club
Well my observations ...

Meal coordinator.
And Clean up is covered.

Ride corridinator.

Dry erase board ..
Has these things listed.
Meal/Ride time
Coordinator.
Ride leader
Ride lunch location
Any other stops.
Approx ride length.
Blockers, tail gunner.
Cook/kitchen person(s)
Buffet staff.

My $.02

PS
While I agree with some of this let's not get over structured and time dependent.
We are out for a ride -- things may happen. These things can easily screw the schedule to all hell. We've seen this happen.

While I love the idea and experience of going down the road with 30+ big Dog plus those harley guys, when we are at that size we are tantamount to a parade going thru small towns -- hell the one year they thought we were part of the parade as one was set for a little later, we may need to break into 2 groups 10 or 15 minutes apart.

We can set Departure time, Destination, # of stops(locations if available)
Food stop -- planned arrival time (not 10:30 but maybe between 10:30 and 11:00
Distance total and between stops -- we have a group that rides distance and those that do not. The short distance riders need fair warning. The distance guys need to know we aren't bar hopping (not that we have in the past)
A map or a gps route would be KILLER. I will happily help with this -- this also helps if we all use the same gps app and settings ( I can suggest an app and settings that will work on iphone and android)

The meals we need planned and a target dinner time set but not in stone -- what if our cook is the guy that breaks down?

Communication -- we should all have everyoine's or near everyones name ond number in our phone. Make notes of who rides 2 up in each group so that the other group can be reached even when moving if possible.

More later.

Chong

U-238
While I agree with some of this let's not get over structured and time dependent.
We are out for a ride -- things may happen. These things can easily screw the schedule to all hell. We've seen this happen.

While I love the idea and experience of going down the road with 30+ big Dog plus those harley guys, when we are at that size we are tantamount to a parade going thru small towns -- hell the one year they thought we were part of the parade as one was set for a little later, we may need to break into 2 groups 10 or 15 minutes apart.

We can set Departure time, Destination, # of stops(locations if available)
Food stop -- planned arrival time (not 10:30 but maybe between 10:30 and 11:00
Distance total and between stops -- we have a group that rides distance and those that do not. The short distance riders need fair warning. The distance guys need to know we aren't bar hopping (not that we have in the past)
A map or a gps route would be KILLER. I will happily help with this -- this also helps if we all use the same gps app and settings ( I can suggest an app and settings that will work on iphone and android)

The meals we need planned and a target dinner time set but not in stone -- what if our cook is the guy that breaks down?

Communication -- we should all have everyoine's or near everyones name ond number in our phone. Make notes of who rides 2 up in each group so that the other group can be reached even when moving if possible.

More later.
Yeah I agree .. time tables are hard to nail ..

If individuals wear out . , want to get back they should bug out use there GPS.. the group can stay on plan ..

Mr. Wright

Knows some things
Supporting Member
We don't want it to structured. Flexibility is a must in large groups. But people need to pay attention to what the leader is fixen to do.
I believe earlier start time on the ride is a must, so lunch isn't so late. And we get back in time to get supper cooking.
Maybe who ever is cooking that night does a shorter ride.
Love the rides and riding in large groups, but also love just hanging out with friends.

Jersey Big Mike

100K mile club
We don't want it to structured. Flexibility is a must in large groups. But people need to pay attention to what the leader is fixen to do.
I believe earlier start time on the ride is a must, so lunch isn't so late. And we get back in time to get supper cooking.
Maybe who ever is cooking that night does a shorter ride.
Love the rides and riding in large groups, but also love just hanging out with friends.
I agree an earlier start would help.
I don't think we should penalize the cook from being able to do the run just because they are kind enough to cook for us.
Maybe we need a dogs and burger night and people are responsible for their own.
ie; grill starts and I start my med-rare burger, couple of others throw theirs on.
When mine comes off, someone else that has food on the grill steps up.
Or maybe we give the cooks (which tend to be the same people every year) a nght off and we order pizza or something delivered/pick up!

Chong

U-238
My post.

Look at it as all the aspects / dynamics envolved with a ride or a meal ...

This is the nuances the host carries 24/7 at these events ..

Bigger groups as this has grown means wider expectations.. Every individual / couple has in there mind what's going to happen . That's challenge the hosts are asked to balance .

I suggested a little more structured format that gives participants the plan. I know the hosts are doing their absolute best to make each segment special.

chubs

Guru
I'm kinda with Dave in regards to just hanging out at the farm and visiting with friends. While the rides are good, I personally enjoy just cruising along seeing the sites, and maybe even stopping in some of the smaller towns along the way. Also, like Shannon said we don't want it to get too awful structured because things can come up unexpectedly ( like losing a shoe and crashing for instance), and throw every thing totally of whack. (Just my 2 cents worth)

liferider

Looking forward to retirement
To be honest, we need people to help. Help cook, help clean up afterwards, help with the meal prep. I watched at the May Thang. The same people were doing everything. Biker babe cooked her butt off. If you want to help then help with this. Harry gets up before everyone and makes breakfast for everyone everyday. Volunteer to help him. Lunch usually isn’t an issue because we’re usually riding. Dinner always needs help. Last yr the wives did an absolutely fantastic job with the side dishes. And the same few helped clean up. I can’t tell y’all how many hamburger patties Buffy and Biker Babe made at the May Thang. Take the time to help. Dave does so much to prep his home for us. He needs to kick his feet up and relax while we are there. Bringing paper plates and paper towels helps yes, but help with the actual physical stuff too, not a dry eraser board.

Last edited:

Mickmorris

Supporting Member
I think maybe Friday night would be a great pizza type night. Seems to me that was the big ride day a couple Septembers ago. And we all had a fantastic lunch and this really cool restaurant Dave scouted out. I can sure pitch in on the pizza order with $50/$75 more if needed. Just a thought. Can’t wait to see everyone!

HMAN

I just like my Freedom
I think maybe Friday night would be a great pizza type night. Seems to me that was the big ride day a couple Septembers ago. And we all had a fantastic lunch and this really cool restaurant Dave scouted out. I can sure pitch in on the pizza order with $50/$75 more if needed. Just a thought. Can’t wait to see everyone!
Sam n Ellas Chicken Palace in Tahlequah Ok. Great pizza and a nice city park to eat it @. Good times.