paint saver/gas cap

armad

Still looking for a gas cap/paint saver combo that does not leak. Tried a new vent mechanism and a rubber gasket, but still leaks. I did a lot of reading here and really didn't find too much for recommendations on a leak free cap. I am going to remove the Landmark paint saver and cap. I do have some paint bubbling, but it is not too bad, but gradually getting worse. Is there anyone out there that has found a vented cap that does not leak? Thanks

pknowles

RETIRED
Supporting Member
Do a search for "gas cap/paint saver" and you should get some interesting reading. It has been discussed quite a bit. Good luck

armad

Do a search for "gas cap/paint saver" and you should get some interesting reading. It has been discussed quite a bit. Good luck
I did the search, but didn't see any recommendations. Could have missed it, but now I have been hooked up with Mr. Wright. Thanks

BWG56

Guru
How'd does that bad boy go on? Those Allen heads are just for looks right? I'm assuming it's a pop up deal? Looks bitchin!
It screws in just like the paint saver does, you remove 2 of the screws and insert the brass standoff's to tighten it and then remove them and reinsert the screws, the screws do not touch the tank and you can see the cap screws off with the black part in the pic. J&P Part: 633-887

bigkelk9

It screws in just like the paint saver does, you remove 2 of the screws and insert the brass standoff's to tighten it and then remove them and reinsert the screws, the screws do not touch the tank and you can see the cap screws off with the black part in the pic.
Sweet and you got that from JP CYCLES

BWG56

Guru
Did you set it in epoxy or anything. That looks good.
Hell no, I had my fill of epoxy, I tried putting chemical resistant epoxy on around the edge of the paint on the bare tank and the gas made it gummy even after I left it set for 3 days before installing. So all I did was to remove the gummy epoxy and sealed the paint edge with a few layers of clear and installed it with the rubber gasket that came with the cap.
You can see the vent hole in the cap, the brass screw is pointing at the vent hole in the cap and since that is recessed into the paint savor when the cap is in place, the vapors evaporate. With the OEM cap, every time I put gas in it, I could see the liquid under the cap which eventually wicked around under the paint savor.
That's my story and I'm sticking to it.:D

armad

I removed the paint saver today. It went good and came out easily. Only problem was I had to cut back more than I would like to get rid of the bubbled paint. There seemed to be some filler up by the opening. I will have to seal this up somehow. It ended up being about 2 3/4 in. across. I ordered the Kuryakn flush cap 8309, I hope it will cover the whole area.