Paint Saver/Gas Cap Question

Energy One

roadie1389

So all this time I have owned the bike I never realized the gas cap and the paintsaver where 2 parts. When I fill up, it all came off as one unit. Well this morning, not sure why, the cap came off but the save stayed on the tank. Bing - Light came on. All this time the saver has been loose and not staying on the tank like it is suppose to. What is the best way to get the saver to tighten down to the tank so only the cap comes off?

BadDawg Bill

I would just throw away the whole thing and buy a Harley cap. The "Paint saver" really isn't because it holds gas under it and peels the paint plus that little cap is a bitch to get off. Just sayin...

BWG56

Guru
I just did this with marine epoxy and Shannoh's beautiful ring extension, and if this doesn't work, I'm with the guys above, I'm done with the paint savor. Even though that epoxy looks wet, I waited 3 days before I put it back together.
IMG_1220.JPG IMG_1228.JPG IMG_1229.JPG

BWG56

Guru
I hope you finished all you're house work first.
HELL YEAH, 1st hour or 2 after she's gone off to work, its done, I ain't no fool, and just because I rode the short bus, it don't means I learns slow:oldhardlaugh::oldhardlaugh:I know you want some cleaning tips, WD-40 takes soap scum and water spots off shower doors, cleans up fins on a the jug heads, see a trend here with WD-40. :whoop::oldlaugh: Don't try it on windows:oldnono: I can cooks to:old2:

FrankBDPS

HELL YEAH, 1st hour or 2 after she's gone off to work, its done, I ain't no fool, and just because I rode the short bus, it don't means I learns slow:oldhardlaugh::oldhardlaugh:I know you want some cleaning tips, WD-40 takes soap scum and water spots off shower doors, cleans up fins on a the jug heads, see a trend here with WD-40. :whoop::oldlaugh: Don't try it on windows:oldnono: I can cooks to:old2:
I bet the wd 40 makes the bathroom smell nice and fresh too.

It's not the paint saver that causes the issue. It's the lack of proper paint sealant at the gas bung before installing the paint saver.

Scooter

Trimmed back lifted paint around tank bung, sanded and sealed w/ clear lacquer nail polish.
Looking for a ring extension to add to the paint saver to cover and hide the removed paint area. A 3.5” outside diameter would cover everything and thought of having a machine shop make this plate until I this thread.....
Do you know if any company out there already makes this extension ring & gasket or should I just have one made?

Mr. Wright

Knows some things
Supporting Member
Trimmed back lifted paint around tank bung, sanded and sealed w/ clear lacquer nail polish.
Looking for a ring extension to add to the paint saver to cover and hide the removed paint area. A 3.5” outside diameter would cover everything and thought of having a machine shop make this plate until I this thread.....
Do you know if any company out there already makes this extension ring & gasket or should I just have one made?
I got your back. Give me a call Monday. 573-two four 7- 3 five o 8

Mr. Wright makes a great product for hiding the ugly.
I don't know that I would trust nail polish though.
You should use a novalac type two part epoxy to seal the paint.
It's the same stuff the military, as well as many of the new liner manufacturers, uses to seal their fuel tanks.

IMG_5970.PNG Hello guys need help I just got bike back and I am now concerned that I too may have an issue from removing gas caps my paint may peel would like to install paint savors and am looking at these. Good idea or not need input do not want to waste 100.00. On eBay.

You need to get under your paint savers and find out just how good or bad your situation is.
If you catch it early and make repairs you can generally save your paint without issue.
If your paint is already showing some signs of bubbling at the edge of the paint saver then you will likely have to go to a ring like Mr. Wrights to cover the ugly.

You need to get under your paint savers and find out just how good or bad your situation is.
If you catch it early and make repairs you can generally save your paint without issue.
If your paint is already showing some signs of bubbling at the edge of the paint saver then you will likely have to go to a ring like Mr. Wrights to cover the ugly.
Paint is fine no peeling or bubbling just want to prevent from ever happening this is why I want to install paint saver caps.

Fat_Bastard

I just did this with marine epoxy and Shannoh's beautiful ring extension, and if this doesn't work, I'm with the guys above, I'm done with the paint savor. Even though that epoxy looks wet, I waited 3 days before I put it back together.
View attachment 28116 View attachment 28117 View attachment 28118
If you used that black rubber gasket under the paint saver or under a "paint-saver-expanded- ring" it will LEAK & BUBBLE for sure! :oldswear:

Bubbled Paint must be "glued/adheared" down properly first. Then 'RTV Silicone only' under "paint-saver". Take it for what its worth from someone who knows first hand and fixed it himself. Don't believe me... check this thread:
http://www.bigdogbiker.com/threads/install-repair-gas-cap-paint-saver-bubbling-paint.78828/

Don't hate -- just do it right and ask Mr. Wright! :patriot::old2:

Last edited: