Opinions on Karata open primary

Energy One

bdm7250

Guru
Supporting Member
I was just wondering if anyone has or had a Karata open primary setup on their BD? Buddy of mine from the south has a 3" BDL on his Tejas and says it's a love hate thing, loves the looks, hates the clutch. I do like the look of the intimidator from Karata, just not 100% on the rideability or reliability. I know even with a 4" it shouldn't affect my phenomenal turning radius as it won't stick out past my pegs. Any thoughts good, bad or otherwise would be appreciated.
Thanks

woodbutcher

Mr. Old Fart member #145
Staff member
from what i've heard, karata don't make them for bdm anymore, or at least not fast enough for people to get their hands on them before they die. best bet/fit is to check out the Baker open primary. only 2 3/4" on the belt but it's designed especially for the dog.

Jersey Big Mike

100K mile club
Well, I'm not a big fan of belt primaries open or closed. My BMC 918 ST eats belts.
The last guy I rode with regularly that had an open primary sounded like a washing machine belt -- Hell he'd stall and we'd all offer him quarters to get to the spin cycle!

Th3InfamousI

Administrator
Staff member
Buddy I used to ride with had the 4" Karata he didn't mind the clutch. Damn thing was huge, treadmill. It sounded pretty cool though and looked awesome.

I really think for longevity you need to run the support otherwise probably tear up your transmission bearings

BadDawg Bill

My 2 cents: I have the 3.5 BDL and it's heavy on the left side. I would not go larger than 3". I've always had 3" and had no problems. Ya, the clutch is loud but that's the awesome/mechanical thing about them. My one belt had 210k on it and looked new. Just make sure you get one for a Baker trans because Harley is different. Also make sure you get the outer bearing one so it doesn't wear out.

Mr. Wright

Knows some things
Supporting Member
I'm running a 3 3/8'' on mine, with outer supports. It's touched the pavement a few times, and I kicked a big rock into it once, that punched a big hole in the belt. Noisy as heck, but a lot smoother that the chain. No clutch problems.

semi

Foot clearance is not an issue No clue what anyone is talking about as far as the clutch is concerned, mine goes into gear smooth as silk clutch pull is no different from stock. reliability has never been an issue for me anyone else running one. in my opinion looks and sounds way better then the baker. Only draw back is you cannot get ahold of them period ! Absoulutely no customer service ..

liferider

Looking forward to retirement
My 2 cents: I have the 3.5 BDL and it's heavy on the left side. I would not go larger than 3". I've always had 3" and had no problems. Ya, the clutch is loud but that's the awesome/mechanical thing about them. My one belt had 210k on it and looked new. Just make sure you get one for a Baker trans because Harley is different. Also make sure you get the outer bearing one so it doesn't wear out.
I have the BDL 2" with the BDL lock up clutch. No slip and grabs harder with more throttle. Love the set up. 2" belt can handle up to 150hp

Th3InfamousI

Administrator
Staff member

Foot clearance is not an issue No clue what anyone is talking about as far as the clutch is concerned, mine goes into gear smooth as silk clutch pull is no different from stock. reliability has never been an issue for me anyone else running one. in my opinion looks and sounds way better then the baker. Only draw back is you cannot get ahold of them period ! Absoulutely no customer service ..
I'm with ya ...baker isn't even same ballpark as the karata in terms of look. I actually prefer how it looks without a bearing support but it's not a great idea

Personally I'm not a fan of how the baker looks especially for the price. But to each his own.

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

slam

I have a 4" Karata on mine. I love the look, can't complain about the performance. It shifts smooth and I can easily find neutral. Customer service definetely sucks.

liferider

Looking forward to retirement
That's why I like the BDL. They build big belt drives for race bikes and their customer support is fantastic! For those who say BDL can not adapt over is Bullshit! Here are the spacer plates I bought and used from them. And for those who say BDL can not handle the HP, that's bullshit also! Look at the spec sheet on the BDL TF-1000 & the TF-2000 both are rated for 600+ horse power! I run the EV-575, with a 2" belt that is rated for 150hp. I'm currently Dynoing 108hp so I see no need to have more that a 45% safety factor.image.pngimage.png image.png image.png