Oil from fender bolt???

toadstool

Front fender was loose. Looks like oil is leaking from screw. Is there a gasket here? I don’t want to take it out and have a ton of fork oil leak out but I don’t want to simply tighten it and hope the leak will stop if there is indeed a seal of sorts. Also, how do I know my fork fluid level?
Thanks!

Attachments

Ernie12

What year mutt is that? maybe look in the service manual so see if there is an illustration of the front forks.

Ernie12

See red arrow for location of leak.
I pushed the front end up and down and there are witness marks on the upper forks from traveling
You will have some marks when you push it up and down but put your finger there and see if you get oil on it after you push it . You might even get on the bike and push it forward a little and apply the front brake a few times so it goes up and down.

Mr. Wright

Knows some things
Supporting Member
Sorry, couldn't help myself. What is happening is the bottom of the bolt hole has cracked. Nothing to really worry about. Take the bolt out and clean it with some brake cleaner, but a dab of silicone in the hole and but your bolt back in

woodbutcher

Mr. Old Fart member #145
Staff member
my thought was that it was NOT a thru hole but could not swear to it. possibly in the past, there has been a snapped off bolt and the person had to drill it out and went too deep. either way, silicone should take care of you. maybe a little thread locker to boot.

Jwooky

I had this issue also. When I got the bike, that screw was broken off. When I drilled out the broken one, I must have gone too far and went through. As Mr Write said, there is very little material behind the screw. It began leaking very bad.

I removed it again, filled the hole about 1/2 way with RTV, and coated the screw threads with it too.

Let dry overnight and never had an issue again.

Jwooky

Well shit, pulled the bolt to apply silicone and dumped all the oil out of the fork. Son of a bitch.

No biggie, just estimate and top off when complete. Its not that critical. Sounds like it may have been overfilled too.

Make sure you clean the hole/threads and bolt threads really good with a solvent to get all the oil off or the RTV wont stick and seal.

Let it dry before you ride it.

Th3InfamousI

Administrator
Staff member
No biggie, just estimate and top off when complete. Its not that critical. Sounds like it may have been overfilled too.

Make sure you clean the hole/threads and bolt threads really good with a solvent to get add the oil off or the RTV wont stick and seal.

Let it dry before you ride it.
Or just drain it from the bottom and throw in a fresh 10oz in each leg. Won't take much time and then you'll be good to go. Replacing the fork oil isn't a bad thing every once in a while anyways.

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk

knothead

Second Chance Customs
Supporting Member
Do like Eric and woodbutcher said just drain it its not hard....10ozs as eric said...unequal for legs can cause a death wobble ive seen it happen...i mean not like a half oz or so want do it but a couple of ozs will cause it....i push them up and down after i think there r drained cause they will still squirt out a little more oil sometimes...like 4 or 5 times thats enough...bolt and washer clean tighten up and refill...