no sparky

hunter70

im no bike mechanic rainman, i work on my own vehicles no problem but i just dont want to screw up my bike. the oil is dumping out the carb, ive read a few posts that say if a bike sits for a while this will happen, but running the engine will eventually clear it out, only thing is im losing a half quart in 5 mins of idling. have to put a rag under the breather to catch it all and hope it dont catch on fire. Where is the screen at? id rather not have to pull oil pump off if i dont have to

CCRainman

im no bike mechanic rainman, i work on my own vehicles no problem but i just dont want to screw up my bike. the oil is dumping out the carb, ive read a few posts that say if a bike sits for a while this will happen, but running the engine will eventually clear it out, only thing is im losing a half quart in 5 mins of idling. have to put a rag under the breather to catch it all and hope it dont catch on fire. Where is the screen at? id rather not have to pull oil pump off if i dont have to
Check your tappet screen.

dogvet

Banned
Tappet screen is nuder the plug on the engine case just in front of the oil pump by the rear lifter block.

Youe engine is sumping, meaning that oil is getting past the check ball in the oil pump. It could be a bit of debris or a deformed check ball seat. The check ball is under the cap closest (inboard)to the engine on the top of the oil pump (the taller tower on the pump is the pressure regulator/relief valve).
Easiest fix is to ride the bike everyday!

hunter70

I really think somthin is cursed!!?? just cleaned the screen which didnt look dirty, changed the oil an filter, went to start her and the damn battery is junk. 2 months old from napa and on a tender 24/7 go figure. Thought id be on a ride tonite. fuck no. wish id bought it brand new from big dog cause id haul the bitch back and give it to em! oh well , at least i have my support team, my wife's always right there to tell me what an idiot i am.
good for my grizzly though, i rotate my batteries from the bike to the four wheeler and the yamaha likes it just fine, go figure.

hunter70

:2thumbs: YEEHA!! guess my bitchin worked. went back out , hit her an she fired up! sweet ,no oil leaking out as bad as it was or nothin!! NICE! couldnt help myself and had to go for a ride i said screw it , i live in the woods in a small town and figured id be all set. YAH! took a spin around my 10 mile block and wouldnt it figure a trooper was sitting at the end of my dirt road! alls good though , he must of been sleepin or didnt care my reg ran out last june. Thanks guys:cheers: :2thumbs: im buyin!!

dogvet

Banned
i would ride her every day dogvet if i didnt have to worry about towing her home
The biggest problems the 01 models had was starter problems. the second biggest problems were electrical connections not component problems. Make sure the battery negative Cable has a big ass star wsher under it where it mounts to the starter.

IIRC, the factory even started using a ground cable from the battery to the frame as well as battery to drive train sometime during the 01 model year.
You the original owner or did you get your dog used? How many miles you got on that thing?

Dogs don't like sitting around much, the more you run em the better they perform.:2thumbs:

hunter70

i bought it used dogvet, 2 years ago it had 11220 when i got it, now it has 11455. Lot of repairs and breakdowns. i was going to put a ground to the frame but theres so many connections there now i think the stuff i add will cause it to loosen easier than it does. maybe i could run a type of junction box or something.

Raywood

The Pirate
Staff member
Calendar Participant
Troop Supporter
Dogs don't like sitting around much, the more you run em the better they perform.:2thumbs:
Yep, mine is like the energizer bunny!!!!
Just doesn't shine very much anymore. :roll:

dogvet

Banned
i bought it used dogvet, 2 years ago it had 11220 when i got it, now it has 11455. Lot of repairs and breakdowns. i was going to put a ground to the frame but theres so many connections there now i think the stuff i add will cause it to loosen easier than it does. maybe i could run a type of junction box or something.
If you'd like, PM me and lets go over what goping on, what's been done and I'll help you get things sorted out!:cheers:

hunter70

Got a new air filter today, oiled it and installed, tried to fire her up and it wouldnt turn over...????? starter would engage and make a humming noise but wouldnt turn it. battery is 2 mos old was reading 12.8 with the tender, 12.5 after i unplugged it. still should be plenty of juice to turn her over. so much for the start module

dogvet

Banned
Got a new air filter today, oiled it and installed, tried to fire her up and it wouldnt turn over...????? starter would engage and make a humming noise but wouldnt turn it. battery is 2 mos old was reading 12.8 with the tender, 12.5 after i unplugged it. still should be plenty of juice to turn her over. so much for the start module
Pull the cover off of the starter solenoid and inspect the upper contact (battery connection) and the lower contact (starter motor connection) as well as the copper contact washer on the solenoid plunger for pitting and burn marks. Verify that the upper and lower contacts are parallel to the contact washer. It only takes about 80 inch pounds of torque to cause the contact to rotate. When either of theses contacts rotate, it will result in a reduced contact surface between the washer and the contact which means you will be trying to pump over 200 amps through a reduced contact surface which will not be enough to allow the starter to turn over the engine.

If everything looks good, push the solenoid plunger in with your finger till it makes contact and see if this will allow the engine to turn over.

If your not getting sufficient current to the starter, it will hum because it has stalled. This will ultimately cause arcing between the brushes and comutator of the starter motor and the symptoms will get progressively worse.

Take some jumper cables and with the solenoid plunger removed, jumper from the upper post to the lower post bypassing the solenoid altogether to see if the starter motor still spins.

If you have a good digital camera, take some close pictures of the contacts and plunger and I'll have a look at them for you.

You should stop throwing parts at the problem and do some troubleshooting...I'll help you out, but the bike is in front of you not me.

Take a deep breath, do a shot or two of your favorite beverage, smoke a doob, or whatever, and when all is calm, I'll walk you through some troubleshooting!

Have you checked out Gas Mans post above? There are some good pictures of what I'm talking about. check em out.

I never received a PM from you either....:2thumbs:

hunter70

sent ya 2 pms dogvet . i checked the solenoid last nite, cleaned the contacts, everything looked good, Gas man was right, hit the starter today and voltage dropped to 6.8. time to get another battery. going to get another ground to run to the frame as well. even with a tender on it 24/7 batts dont last long. so im either buying junk batteries or their heating up so much because of poor connections maybe..??

Last edited:

dogvet

Banned
sent ya 2 pms dogvet . i checked the solenoid last nite, cleaned the contacts, everything looked good, Gas man was right, hit the starter today and voltage dropped to 6.8. time to get another battery. going to get another ground to run to the frame as well. even with a tender on it 24/7 batts dont last long. so im either buying junk batteries or their heating up so much because of poor connections maybe..??
Got em! PM'd you back this morning.:2thumbs:

Raywood

The Pirate
Staff member
Calendar Participant
Troop Supporter
A good battery will last. My last one went 2 1/2 yrs and my new on will last just as long. It's the regular stock BDM battery rated at 270. Lots of guys on here are running the new AGM batteries from HD. No need to go all the way to the dealer for this. Just don't buy those batteries from Walmart or similar.
As Dogvet and Ohmster state "you NEED 12.8 volts".

Good luck,

:cheers:

hunter70

Yes i know Raywood, i test my batt constantly and i buy my batts from napa auto that are sealed and run 90 bucks a pop, and they still dont last. It seems its easier to buy the right parts in the south or west than up in the northeast cause all i get are the eyebrows when i try to buy any parts around here. Im tryin a new one this time, fibermesh or glass or something like that with no acid and puts out 270. suppose to be in tomorrow. guess well see what that one does.
As i side note all , and maybe im the only one who has done this, but dont forget to ziptie the oil drain line back to the frame as the drive belt will make a nice hole. call me stupid, i aint easily harmed.

Last edited: