Neutral between 2nd and 3rd

Energy One

Twistedspoke100

05 Mastiff
So when I accelerate hard I hit a neutral between 2nd and third and end up red lining the engine. It’s embarrassing to say the least. What’s causing this and Is there an adjustment for this or does require a tear down??

john sachs

When the rpm settles down, is it in fact in neutral ? If not, I've seen this happen with some clutch systems at high rpm, and with a Rev Tech 6 speed trans. The 6 speed trans., and shift forks were replaced by the manufacturer. The new trans. parts fixed the problem. The clutch problem was a centrifugal clutch that couldn't handle high rpm (mid 80's , factory 5-speed Harley Davidson). It would recover at a lower rpm in the same gear that it was in.
John

Last edited:

Twistedspoke100

05 Mastiff
When the rpm settles down, is it in fact in neutral ? If not, I've seen this happen with some clutch systems at high rpm, and with a Rev Tech 6 speed trans. The 6 speed trans., and shift forks were replaced by the manufacturer. The new trans. parts fixed the problem. The clutch problem was a centrifugal clutch that couldn't handle high rpm (mid 80's , factory 5-speed Harley Davidson). It would recover at a lower rpm in the same gear that it was in.
John
Yea it seems to be a neutral. I have to kick it up to get to 3rd. Almost like it’s stuck between gears for some reason

Mikeinjersey

So when I accelerate hard I hit a neutral between 2nd and third and end up red lining the engine. It’s embarrassing to say the least. What’s causing this and Is there an adjustment for this or does require a tear down??
Check out adj. page 7-6 ,7-7. If they seem good you may have a bent fork or possible dog wear.

These videos will show you how your type of transmission ( constant mesh ) operates.

Sven

So when I accelerate hard I hit a neutral between 2nd and third...
Agree to these answers and I doubt it's mechanical.
1. Yes, 2nd remains in gear when I accelerate before I shift.
2. Yes, 3rd remains in gear when I load the bike hard before I shift.
3. Yes, when I am normal riding and shifting, everything is fine.

If yes to all 3... choose the best answer.
a. I am a qualified squid and shifting is not in my skill set.
b. Fucking-A I didn't listen to turtle, here I go posting for a tranny expert on BD.
c. Maybe I need lessons or maybe there is an idiosyncrasy to this specific trans I need to find.
d. I wanna beat fuck outta that turtle telling me, 'It takes a Man not to miss a shift.'

Sven

HMAN, I think you're the only one around here who understands my humor. I told my nephew to flip the choppers we were building and said to him, 'it takes a Man to kick this bike over one time.' I made him find that idio for himself.

What comes to mind is the gear to next gear ratio. In other words, 3 close transitioning ratios to the next gear. Then you go from there to the overdrive gear. Now the foot shift speed has some [rpm] lag drop before you shift. Normally you hit overdrive and the rpms drop, correct? So you move out of a more close-ratio kind of takeoff from a dead stop and all that, to a low rpm high mph gear. There is your pop out with said gear ratio is one example, John and that variable.

And that says I can't pop 2nd out of gear under load, and 3rd stays in gear under heavy load and that says no fork is bent, nor the dogs so worn it can't stay in gear, nor linkage, or fork arm adjustment. Then it's human error.

Take like a Man and own up to it, sloppy foot.

Twistedspoke100

05 Mastiff
Agree to these answers and I doubt it's mechanical.
1. Yes, 2nd remains in gear when I accelerate before I shift.
2. Yes, 3rd remains in gear when I load the bike hard before I shift.
3. Yes, when I am normal riding and shifting, everything is fine.

If yes to all 3... choose the best answer.
a. I am a qualified squid and shifting is not in my skill set.
b. Fucking-A I didn't listen to turtle, here I go posting for a tranny expert on BD.
c. Maybe I need lessons or maybe there is an idiosyncrasy to this specific trans I need to find.
d. I wanna beat fuck outta that turtle telling me, 'It takes a Man not to miss a shift.'

Wow Sven.... I'm fairly certain its not my shifting, I have been riding for a good part of 25 years. There is no predicting when it will happen 90% of the time it shifts fine under the same riding conditions. That's why I figured there may be an adjustment or that this is a common thing.

Sven

Just goofing with the situation, Twisted and not you personally. You just play the character. I figured it was 90% on the safe side you didn't need a wrench or wallet to your shifting dilemma. Now, now, don't get out of it so easily. There is still 10% foot you're hanging off that shifter arm. When I miss 4th on this thing, I thought I knocked every tooth off of that gear. Happens here a few times with me redwings. Guilty as charged.

Th3InfamousI

Administrator
Staff member
Choose the quick easiest problems first before you go neck deep into the transmission.

When was the last time you replaced your heim joints?

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk