Need some help please!!!!

41willys

I just arrived in Augusta GA from Australia & bought this bigdog from a guy.
The sticker on the frame says 2000 model but the title says 2001.
I don’t know if it is a husky or a pit bull??

Yeah it’s an older bike & I understand that & it has a couple of issues that I need some help with.

Firstly the starter motor sounds like it is just eating rocks real bad, more often that not it won’t engage, after a I put it in fear & rock the engine over to a different position sometimes it will engage.
The funny part is after a rude & everything is hot it will engage & start straight up.
No idea what’s going on there & if anyone can help me with that.

The second issue is the speedo is all over the place, when I turn it on it sweeps the speedo etc & then I start it.
It seems to sort of work ok until I roll the throttle on hard.
After I slow down it shows I’m sitting on a stupid fast speed when I’m following a car doing 45 mph.
The speedo does all kinds of crazy stuff.

After reading about similar issues with later model bigdog speedo’s Can anyone tell me what the part number is for a direct plug & play Dakota digital unit is??

Attachments

41willys

I just arrived in Augusta GA from Australia & bought this bigdog from a guy.
The sticker on the frame says 2000 model but the title says 2001.
I don’t know if it is a husky or a pit bull??

Yeah it’s an older bike & I understand that & it has a couple of issues that I need some help with.

Firstly the starter motor sounds like it is just eating rocks real bad, more often that not it won’t engage, after a I put it in fear & rock the engine over to a different position sometimes it will engage.
The funny part is after a rude & everything is hot it will engage & start straight up.
No idea what’s going on there & if anyone can help me with that.

The second issue is the speedo is all over the place, when I turn it on it sweeps the speedo etc & then I start it.
It seems to sort of work ok until I roll the throttle on hard.
After I slow down it shows I’m sitting on a stupid fast speed when I’m following a car doing 45 mph.
The speedo does all kinds of crazy stuff.

After reading about similar issues with later model bigdog speedo’s Can anyone tell me what the part number is for a direct plug & play Dakota digital unit is??
Also how do I confirm what size engine is in this bike.
The previous owner told me he bought it new & ordered it with a 117 cu” motor.
To be honest it doesn’t light the back tyre or have the balls that my 2009 V-rod has.
Maybe it’s just out of tune I guess.

I’m mechanically & electrically minded, I drag raced pro mod in Australia for 10 years.
Also built a couple of Efi hot rods.
I have 2 Harley’s & a Ducati back home in Australia.
This will be #3 Harley for my stable.
Really need some help please.

knothead

Second Chance Customs
Supporting Member
Im kinda confused here....3 pictures r the same bike and the other pic isnt.....either way the older bike looks to have a 80" s&s on it...look on the left down tube and see what the cc's says...if it says 1340 cc is a 80" motor....speed sensor is most likely the problem with the eractic speedo....

41willys

Im kinda confused here....3 pictures r the same bike and the other pic isnt.....either way the older bike looks to have a 80" s&s on it...look on the left down tube and see what the cc's says...if it says 1340 cc is a 80" motor....speed sensor is most likely the problem with the eractic speedo....
Sorry I kinda screwed it up with a wrong picture in there mate

41willys

Thanks mate
The speed sensor on my 2002 night train died a few years ahi & the speedo stopped working al together.
This one is different. If I take off easy the speedo seems to work property & I reads the same speed as my freinds bike riding beside me, but if I hit the throttle & accelerate hard a couple of times & then slow down again the needle will read much higher (80-100) when we are both sitting at 45-50 mph

It seems like the speedo needle jumps a tooth on the gear internally.

I read somewhere of other people having the same issues with the standard bigdog speedos.
Is there a fix for this? Or do you know what the part# is for a direct Dakota digital speedo is for this model?

knothead

Second Chance Customs
Supporting Member
I dont think dakota digital makes one for that year that i know of...derek and donna may have a orginial but not forsure on that. .some one else on here might chim in on this discussion and be able to help

bikeone

Derek & Donna is a good Tip.
Maybe Curtis ( Wildsteelworx) can support too.
They all are pretty good people and help where they can.

Butch Cassidy

I dont think dakota digital makes one for that year that i know of...derek and donna may have a orginial but not forsure on that. .some one else on here might chim in on this discussion and be able to help
I have two original speedos, I can send you one $200

Minuteman

Welcome and glad to have you join the forum, the people here are really good and you will be able to figure what is going on.