Jumping K-9

Energy One

DRBarnhart

Insert title here...
We have tried to appease Mr Satterfield on many occasions. There is no problem with his K9, we all have ridden it in excess of 60 miles at high speeds. I would happily ride the bike to go see Raywood! "T" took the bike out during a raging rain storm (with the kick stand down) and proclaimed it defective because it has a balancing wheel weight on the wheel.
T's last bike was a Suzuki that he crashed, I've ridden with him and he is understandably nervous. The problem in this situation is with the rider and not the bike.
Tank,

Thanks for letting us know the opposing viewpoint! :up:

There's always at least two sides to every story... :D

Dennis

armad

Nice bike! Take it somewhere else for a second opinion. Otherwise do what the others have said with a diifferent tire, or put in some dyna beads. If it shakes as bad as you say there has to be a reason. Just a matter of eliminating the possibilities.

Raywood

The Pirate
Staff member
Calendar Participant
Troop Supporter
T's last bike was a Suzuki that he crashed, I've ridden with him and he is understandably nervous. The problem in this situation is with the rider and not the bike.

I have nothing but the best compliments for the staff at Tampa BD. You guys took great care of me and my bike back when I shipped it over there for the Daytona Rally. Sometimes you just can't please all the customers I guess.
Thanks Tank

:2thumbs::cheers::2thumbs:

Last edited:

Rally

I bought my 05 Chopper w/5k miles and I get the pogo at 80+ mph. Turns out the front tire is slightly cupped and needs replacement so I'm going with a Cobra. The rear has lots of thread left on it.
Change the front tire sounds like a good idea.
Good luck and keep us posted.

We have tried to appease and reassure "T" on many occasions. There is no problem with his K9 as we all have ridden it in excess of 60 miles total and at very high speeds. I would happily ride the bike to go see Raywood myself! The last time "T" took the bike out was during a raging rain storm (with the kick stand down) and he proclaimed it defective because it has a balancing wheel weight on the wheel (installed by Big Dog LLC). When the bike was brought into our shop, "T" admitted to putting air in the tires (they were over-filled to 45lbs) and he was told it was normal to "hop" when hitting a bump at high speeds with over-filled tires. Anybody that knows Big Dog Tampa knows that we are all enthusiasts (for example I ride in excess of 2000 miles/month) and would happily collect warranty payment if a problem was found. Nobody here has or would suggest a K9 is just for "bar hopping", and we have encouraged "T" to find an objective professional or competent 3rd party to evaluate the motorcycle.

Let me be clear, "Tank" is a liar and he knows little about any of the things he mentions above - point in fact-no tires were overinflated, (nor did I mention anything about any inflation until they came up with this 45 psi thing-its just one more lie) they were in fact inflated to the exact pressure stated in the manual, 42 psi in the rear and 40 psi in the front-this "over inflated" tire thing was simply fabricated. No one mentioned anything about a "bump" of any kind and this is the first I have heard of it since it was on Interstate 75 for all the test I did. This entire thing "Tank" is trying to make out is false-never were there any invitations of third parties as all third parties I contacted said it was the wheel and they refuse that becuse since they have had the bike for so long BDM would not warranty the wheel and they are not wanting to replace the wheel nor admit to it.

Tank knows (*like all else he mentions here) nothing about me or what happen with my last bike, let him to mention it to me when I see him-he does not know what kind of bike nor does he know any circumstances-he is simply doing his "used car dance" just like the one he used to try and convince me the paint being scratched was normal (BDM Inc.repainted the tank) or when he lied about where, how and when the fendor was detailed. Now I have avodied as anyone reading these post can see, I have mentioned no names, no dealers, no personal attacks. However, since he is going to come out with all of these lies, it requires rebuttal.

He says no one said the bike was for Bar hopping-that is not true and he was not standing there nor was he there for 99.9% -(he is simply lying whenever it suits his purpose) of these conversations-but this is what a key employee told me. Tanks problem results from his inability to do his own job or to tell the truth. It took him over a month to get my title and reg. all of this because of the complication they have with EZ Car Sales-A call to those people is what it took to get my title. He also has never "ridden" with me, he was in front of me for a brief test ride of about 10 min. I stayed behind him the whole time, he was not impressive. If he rides 2000 mile per month I am Santa Clause, his wife picks him up from work on the occasions I have observed. Once again he is full of it. Make no mistake, the guy jerked me around every way he could until I just stopped dealing with him. I have been dealing strictly the key person there.

I have had the bike three months most of it in their shop. I had some pipes and an Air Filter put on it and it was still not running correctly when I brought it back this last time (the fourth time) and was verified by their own Key person. They have refused to try a different wheel and refused other possible ways to settle this becuse, like the third party and every opinion on here, the wheel is likely the problem and a very expensive one at that.

As far as a rain storm goes I rode the bike out at this "key persons" insistence his comment about the kickstand is like the rest of what he says as he tries to lie about a situation once again to try a make me look bad, but all he does is show the petty minded person that he is. He knows nothing about bikes, he was in car sales, he just poses at EZ Car Sales as someone who knows something.

If anyone would like further detailed information about not only this incident but all of them since I purchased this bike on 4/28/2010 you may contact me and I will gladly send to you a complete chronological 3,000 plus word report on every single incident and you can draw your own conclusions of truth.

Why would anyone want their new bike kept at a shop for most of the time it has been owned if they had a choice other than to just eat thousands of dollars of problems. Why would anyone want to be forced to drive hundreds of miles for service-(I have already been told that I would have to do this along with other types of threats) I do have to accept responsibility for believing anything Tank said-he sold me the bike and I have already mentioned his performance in that regard. I have listed only a few of the problems related to the specific lies he is telling here-there is much more.

Let me be clear the problem is not the rider it is the people not willing to accept responsibility for an expensive problem. As far as I am concerned he problem can be settled legally if all other means are exhausted. Further, by his statements and accusations in this post that seems to be the most likely way to settle the issue as it is being left the only option open to me.I apologize for the long post required by these accusations,

Thank you, "T"

Nice bike! Take it somewhere else for a second opinion. Otherwise do what the others have said with a diifferent tire, or put in some dyna beads. If it shakes as bad as you say there has to be a reason. Just a matter of eliminating the possibilities.
That's a great idea and I would love to do that, however in this situation it is not an option. Your right there is a reason and its not becuse the bikes cannot be smoothly run at 100mph which is what I am being told. Clearly from the post only on this single thread that is not true. One way or the other it will work out, its just to bad it had to get to this point.

Thanks, Tony

Dakotabos

Calendar Participant
Troop Supporter
We are full of Opinions and somewhere on this site someone has been in your shoes someone has already thrown that wrench someone has already bled and you can be DAMN sure someone already gave up on their dog and its a 693 lbs paperweight collecting dust.

BUT

Thats what this site (AND DAMN PROUD OF IT AND THE PEOPLE) are here for

We all agree if the rider (YOU) and not happy then there is a problem a war of words and other actions are not needed. You are in an area with other "Big Dog Brothers" and if you were in my area I would ride over there and check it with you. But Im not but everyone of my Big Dog Brothers here in New Mexico have my Cell # and know they can call me up and I will help. but they have to buy the 1st round after the "POS" is fixed.
Hell I call my "BRO" in Washington State if I have an Issue that I Throw a wrench at.

So what I am askin is Try the ideas and I hope it fixes the problem if not lets reattack the problem and get you on the road to put some road under those wheels and a smile back on that face. Because if your smiling while riding the bugs taste ALOT better..........

Or you can tell me to F. O. and continue on the pissed off path

Yeah I'm Drinking Crown SO WHAT :roll:

kiwi

just get one of the fellow bigdogbiker forum guys that live in your area to take it for a ride and se what they think and then just change the tyre and see if that fixes the problem. Easy and cheap fix

Dozer1

I've got an 06 K9 with close to 30k on it. Been thru more rear tires than I care to count and 2 fronts. Reguarly cruise at 80+ mph, have had the speedo literally pegged countless times, and have only experienced chopper wobble once (and that was at 70-something in a high crosswind). All that and have never experienced the problems you are. Yes, something is definitely wrong with your bike. These bikes are made to be stable at that speed. Maybe it's your tire. Maybe it's your bearings. But it might also be your wheel. But your main problem seems to be your dealer. (Mine would bend over backwards to remedy the problem. Most likely at no charge). If I were you, I'd post who it is (to spare others similar grief), and then DUMP THEM!!! Look at it this way...if the further dealer is 10x better, a nice little 100 mile road trip is a helluva lot better than a couple thousand dollar headache! We've spent ALOT of money on these bikes. Crappy dealers who don't produce ought to fold. Period!

BadBrad

2005 Pitbull
T,
You have got to stop holding in your frustration! Let it go. Get it off your chest. If you have something to say, then by all means, say it. You're going to explode if you continue to harbor in your inner most feelings about this.

I've got an 06 K9 with a new Venom front tire. Rear tire is wearing perfect with no hop but the front is wearing slightly to the right as your looking forward on the bike and it likes to start hopping slightly between 78 and 85 miles per hour then it smooths out again. I'm at three ounces of Dyna beads now you guys think I should go one more ounce?

chihuasbigdog

LATINAMERICAN AFFAIRS
I've got an 06 K9 with a new Venom front tire. Rear tire is wearing perfect with no hop but the front is wearing slightly to the right as your looking forward on the bike and it likes to start hopping slightly between 78 and 85 miles per hour then it smooths out again. I'm at three ounces of Dyna beads now you guys think I should go one more ounce?
I think you should buy me a drink in Sturgis!!! :cheers:
:D:whoop::2thumbs:

MisterMister

Agree with what others have said. I have a 2008 k9 with almost 9000 miles on it. Have never had a problem like yours even at 110 mph. On my second set of tires also. I do think you need to find a different mech......

2004BC

FREEDOM!!!
To Satterfield:

If you would like a quick simple DIY check of your front tire here is what you do. Costs nothing:

Step 1

1 - Lean your front end all the way over to one of the fork stops so it won't flop.
2 - Jack up your bike until the front tire is just off the ground.
3 - Use a black magic marker and draw a line on your rim at 6"Oclock. (pointing straight down)
4 - Spin your tire and let it stop on it's own. Do this multiple times and observe where the black line points.
5 - If always straight down tire is out of balance. If in random spots all over the place tire is balanced.

Step 2

1 - Grab a machinists stand and a dial indicator to measure side to side runout and then top to bottom runout. Don't have? No problem. Figure out somekind of a stable stand (2x10 wood) and a pointer (sharp anything, pencil dowel whatever) and tighten it all up.

2 - bring pointer up to side lip of rim and spin tire. Observe gap as tire slowly rotates. Shouldn't be very noticeable. If so then bent rim or if spoked then out of adjustment laced spokes.

3 - now do the same thing bringing your point into the front middle of the tire until it touches and slowly spin the tire. You'll see if the tire is out of round or if you have cupped areas on the tire.

Now you are armed with real information and you don't have to trust any one else's opinions. I hope this helps out your situation. Good Luck!!!

:cheers:

Tank

Exactly and great advice! ... A great "Old School" check for all those out there without a service center (and something we automatically do) Respects ... Hope to meet you and buy ya a drink!.... :cheers::2thumbs::cheers:

Last edited: