I've done the unthinkable, my dark secret, saddlebags!

Twisted

Well I got the rear fender painted. I decieded I would just let the paint flow and if it wasn't the exact same syle as the tank I'd just redo the tank. But in the end it's pretty close to the same style so I think it will look just fine, I'll have to wait till its together and decide. Most of the base arra will be covered by the seat. Only went a little further back with the fire then I did with the chopper fender, leaving most the the back of the fender black. Hoping to get the bags and small parts done this weekend then I can start wetsand in and buffing, and I'm gonna need it as I had some gun issues and got a bunch of runs in the clear.

20170726_164647-1494x2656.jpg 20170726_164655-1494x2656.jpg

Twisted

Little update, cleared the brackets , lids and filler panels and worked on the bags on Sunday, got them airbrushed and cleared. Going thought the wetsand and buff process now. Heading to Georgia on Saturday so I'm trying to get as much done as posible before then. Heres a few pics of the bags after the clear, got some runs in the clear but it all sanded out.

20170730_194907-1195x2124.jpg 20170730_194803-1195x2124.jpg 20170730_194743-1195x2124.jpg

bdm7250

Guru
Supporting Member
Little update, cleared the brackets , lids and filler panels and worked on the bags on Sunday, got them airbrushed and cleared. Going thought the wetsand and buff process now. Heading to Georgia on Saturday so I'm trying to get as much done as posible before then. Heres a few pics of the bags after the clear, got some runs in the clear but it all sanded out.

View attachment 47642 View attachment 47643 View attachment 47644
Nice work Butch..:old2:

SKOGDOG

One of the old ones.
I join Eric in being a little jealous of your skills. More evidence of how I frittered away time. Could have used learning something as valuable as this.....

Twisted

Thanks guys, if only I could have figured out this new clear I am using life would have been alot easier. Its a long process, i did both bags at the same time so i could match them up. I started at about 10am and ended up finishing the clear around 7pm, it was a long day on Sunday. Hoping to start some buffing after work today. Still have to wetsand the lids and filler panels and buff everything out.

bigkelk9

Looks very very Good, I'm a great painter myself, but can't pull off any kind of air brushing whatsoever! It looks like u did a great job!

bigkelk9

I guess the airbrush work is where the big bucks kicks in;) Some of us have followed Butch from the time he first started the real fire thing. Maybe he will post up some of the first pictures for comparison.
I agree.. never even tried it, I'm a great artist and sure I could do it if I put my mind to it.. but That s an expensive hobby to start and take a chance on not being good at.. lol

Twisted

I agree.. never even tried it, I'm a great artist and sure I could do it if I put my mind to it.. but That s an expensive hobby to start and take a chance on not being good at.. lol
I'm not even close to an artist, can't draw for shit, so if you can paint and your an artist you could probably do some amazing things. I picked up my first airbrush about 3 years ago and messed around for a year before painting my bike. I started with a $30 Master airbrush and once I got a little better bought an Iwata Hp-cs for $150. Here's some of my very first airbrushing attempts.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

bigkelk9

I'm not even close to an artist, can't draw for shit, so if you can paint and your an artist you could probably do some amazing things. I picked up my first airbrush about 3 years ago and messed around for a year before painting my bike. I started with a $30 Master airbrush and once I got a little better bought an Iwata Hp-cs for $150. Here's some of my very first airbrushing attempts.

Wow! What kind of paint did u doodle with until u got it figured out

Twisted

U r my insperation.. I'm gunna start messing around with that..
Go for it. Watch a couple you tube videos. I also watch Mike Lavallee of Killer Paint live facebook feed every Thursday night. Just watching how things are done. It's fun as hell to airbrush, give it a shot!

Twisted

I'm goin for it! Thanks Butch!!
Nice! Make sure you post when you do. The cheap Master brand airbrushs are fine to start then if you decide you like it invest in something better. Look up the g233 on amazon whole kit for $30. And the current water based paints by Createx are great as they are much safer and produce great results. Pick up a few basic 2-4 ounce colors and have fun, or just go right to urethane paints like hok if you prefer. I still play with both but anything that matters I use HOK. Everything I learned was from the good old internet. And a little tip to start I just bought black posterboard cut it in half or in 4 and spray painted it black so it had a smooth non porous surface to practice on. Cheap and effective.

Last edited:

bigkelk9

Nice! Make sure you post when you do. The cheap Master brand airbrushs are fine to start then if you decide you like it invest in something better. Look up the g233 on amazon whole kit for $30. And the current water based paints by Createx are great as they are much safer and produce great results. Pick up a few basic 2-4 ounce colors and have fun, or just go right to urethane paints like hok if you prefer. I still play with both but anything that matters I use HOK. Everything I learned was from the good old internet. And a little tip to start I just bought black posterboard cut it in half or in 4 and spray painted it black so it had a smooth non porous surface to practice on. Cheap and effective.

Do u use just a small compressor? When I painted cars and whatever I have a 60 gallon.. but restrict it to about 6 to 8 psi depending on what kind of paint I'm using and so on
Keep an in line water separator on it as I do the same for my tools..