I've done the unthinkable, my dark secret, saddlebags!

Twisted

Wonder if Derek and Donna would have a set
I'm sure a set could be found but would be more than I could spend. They would look great though, although I never liked the tail lights on the big dog bags. Mold in some different tail lights and it would be awesome.

Twisted

We went thru this awhile back when you first started the realfire thing:oldthumbsup:
Yeah I know, and I'm just as nervous doing it this time,lol. Real problem is, I have improved a little since then and prefer it a little different now, but for this I have to try to match up with the rest of the bike. Just like last time, I'll be sitting there with the airbrush trying to figure out how to lay it out and once i start spraying I'll be fine, the first drop of paint is the hardest, after that your committed and just go with the flow.

BWG56

Guru
Yeah I know, and I'm just as nervous doing it this time,lol. Real problem is, I have improved a little since then and prefer it a little different now, but for this I have to try to match up with the rest of the bike. Just like last time, I'll be sitting there with the airbrush trying to figure out how to lay it out and once i start spraying I'll be fine, the first drop of paint is the hardest, after that your committed and just go with the flow.
Remember you are your worst critic and from what I've seen what you have done, I'm sure it will come out great

Mr. Wright

Knows some things
Supporting Member
Hey Shannon, @Mr. Wright , i know this project is not your thing but I need your opinion. And anyone else that wants to chime it. I've seen you paint work and it's bad ass. I'm trying to figure out a good layout to match the fire on my bike, I played a little in sketchpad for ideas. Here's a side view I'm thinking of, but the rear fender is long and is hard to get a feel for how much is too much. I airbrushed a skull and fire last weekend thinking it would be cool for the back of the fender but my skulls are not quite up to par in my opinion for the bike. So as far as fire goes, do you think something like this or go less. Bagged rear ends lend themselves to nice 2 tone jobs, not so much fire. Any ideas?

View attachment 47341 View attachment 47342 View attachment 47343
Look at your tank, then at your fender. It's not balanced. Little les on the rear of the bike than the front. And the skull isn't that bad.

Twisted

Look at your tank, then at your fender. It's not balanced. Little les on the rear of the bike than the front. And the skull isn't that bad.
Thanks for the input. I guess I'm seeing as just a big surface and my mind is thing big surface, alot of flames. But you Paul and Eric are right, needs less. Thinking about it, the rear should really be the trailing edge of all the fire, not a whole new inferno. :old2:

cdogg556

Guru
Anytime I have "over thought" something, it doesn't come out as good as if I just relax and do it, take a deep breath, in and out! Then just do whatever your inspired to do, I have no doubt it will be awesome!

Twisted

Anytime I have "over thought" something, it doesn't come out as good as if I just relax and do it, take a deep breath, in and out! Then just do whatever your inspired to do, I have no doubt it will be awesome!
Agreed. Anytime I just start going with no plan or if I know it's not important, usually ends up being my best stuff.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Jersey Big Mike

100K mile club
To start, if your a Big Dog purist(keep it stock)or a hater of all things bagger, then just stop reading now. Unless you just want to smack some sense into me, then carry on. I know most hate the idea of bags on a chopper, but it serves a purpouse without getting rid of my chopper, so hate away, i never build anything to please anyone but myself. Every morning I have to pack my big bag and strap it onto my sissy bar to go to work looking like I'm on a cross country trip, and if I had to run out to get something small and wanted to take the bike, I'd have to strap the same big bag on and have to work about if it would still be there when I got out of the store. So last year I really got tired of having no permanent, lockable storage and was really thinking about selling the chopper for something like a road king, but just could not bare to part with it. Seeing as I can't afford 2 bikes I started working on ideas to add removable bags to the chopper, knew I wouldn't love it but as long as I didn't hate it, it would tide me over till I can get another bike down the road. I wanted to build an entire new rear clip so i could swap back and forth from my stock chopper setup to the bags whenever i wanted without too much trouble. I kept it under wraps, that way if I hated it, I could toss it aside and no one's the wiser.

So I bought a couple used bags, lids, an 11" fender blank, some steel, and some Mastiff struts and have been messing with it whenever I get the time since winter. Had the flu/pneumonia in March so that set me back a little. First I cut the fender blank down and welded an extension to it. Then I made the bag brackets from scratch, they are attatched to a plate that mounts between the strut and fender. I made some filler panels to fill the gap between the bags and fender from some sheetmetal and cut out backside of the right side bag and refiberglassed to be able to fit tighter and clear the swingarm. I also molded on some saddlebag extensions, and made a new latch system for the bags using rotary latches, more like the newer harley bags.
So I'm at the point were everything is painted, cleared and wetsanded. Just waiting on time to airbrush to match, re clear, buff and assemble. In the end, I made it so the entire rear clip can be removed with 3 bolts per side and one jst connector. So in about 15-20 mins. I can swap from chopper fender, to full bag setup. How much will I actually use it, I don't know. I may find that I love having bags and keep it on most of the time, or I may find I like the stripped down chopper look too much and only use it for trips, only time will tell.
That's that, flame away. And maybe someone else out there has considered this and can get some idea what it would look like. Here's some pictures... does this make my ass look big?
My first Big Dog K-9, I tried soft saddle bags one year and they worked but still wanted lockable hard bags.
The second year I did Tail of the Dragon, I had hard lockable bags but I took what I think was an easier approach.
I bought an extra set of struts and a pair of easy brackets. I took the struts and drilled out 2 of the holes all the way thru the strut and completely tapped it. Swapped struts and used some longer bolts -- Instant removable, lockable saddlebags! Worked like a charm, came off easily and quick and barely noticable when they were off.

Twisted

My first Big Dog K-9, I tried soft saddle bags one year and they worked but still wanted lockable hard bags.
The second year I did Tail of the Dragon, I had hard lockable bags but I took what I think was an easier approach.
I bought an extra set of struts and a pair of easy brackets. I took the struts and drilled out 2 of the holes all the way thru the strut and completely tapped it. Swapped struts and used some longer bolts -- Instant removable, lockable saddlebags! Worked like a charm, came off easily and quick and barely noticable when they were off.
I remember you saying you did something like that and I thought about just doing that. But I decided I wanted something where the fender would match the bags and if it works out I'll probably keep it on most of the time till I can pick up a second bike. Taking it to work everyday and running errands with bags will make life alot easier.

Jersey Big Mike

100K mile club
I remember you saying you did something like that and I thought about just doing that. But I decided I wanted something where the fender would match the bags and if it works out I'll probably keep it on most of the time till I can pick up a second bike. Taking it to work everyday and running errands with bags will make life alot easier.

My current projects for the current K-9 is a locakable fork bag and I'm working on a lockable hard "tour pack" for the sissy bar.
Made great progrss a little while ago on the fork bag but stalled for a bit for some re-eval of the route I was taking, about to restart that up again and hopefully make it so it is easily and inexpensively re-producable for others.

Twisted

My current projects for the current K-9 is a locakable fork bag and I'm working on a lockable hard "tour pack" for the sissy bar.
Made great progrss a little while ago on the fork bag but stalled for a bit for some re-eval of the route I was taking, about to restart that up again and hopefully make it so it is easily and inexpensively re-producable for others.
Nice, can't wait to see it.

PROFLYER

SWOLE
For the flames I'd follow what the tank/fender/covers look like. Looks like they sort of quit about halfway down the individual part. Otherwise the shape etc. look great! Wish I could paint...I can't even paint in MS Paint and I've never opened Photoshop :oldbang:

SKOGDOG

One of the old ones.
Heck---just follow Shannon's example....his bike has been down more times than a bad girl's drawers. Every year or two he shucks it down to the frame and re-does the whole shebang.
Just go with your gut and f you aren't pleased, just do it again! No matter how good it is, you'll get tired f it anyhow.