Energy One

Is Big Dog Motorcycles really done?

tommy666

They never have....Fortunate thing, All of our major parts are U.S built.Yeah Baby! Big Dog Hauls Ass! Sheldon for President!

PA Chopper

Good Lord....another Big Dog bashing from Cyril Huze is on his blog right now. This guy needs to shut off his laptop and go for a ride. Ok so BDM is gone but the company is moving on with a new venture. Best of luck to Mr. Coleman and my plan is to enjoy the hell out of my K-9.

Fairless

I like your sass Aim! The strokers family always has eachotjers backs and the correct answers, Timmy...

Gee, we can rest easy now that you finally agree to what we knew here since Rick got the call Monday morning. I guess we're not liars now. Thanks.

Any BDM dealer worth their salt will still work hard for the end user and do what we can to make the transition as easy as possible. I'm hoping the new parts company will open quickly so that this won't be as inconvenient for our customers as things have been. We are working hard here at Strokers Dallas to be proactive rather than reactive! There is nothing we can do about what happens at the manufacturer level, but we can continue to support our customers on a daily basis...

TexasRider

I did some checking also. For now they are not going out of business. It's business as usual. That blog (Cyril Huze) is total bullshit. All BDM did was to furlough some more employees. But we have to realize that in these times we are living in now, where the banks aren't giving away money like candy anymore, it's hard for someone to get a bank loan to buy a new Big Dog. And how many of us can dish out the cash to buy one outright. Those that can are also leary to let the money go. So unless this economy picks up, closing will probably be inevitable. I figure I will just keep my bike in the best condition I can and have faith that if I ever need anything I will be able to find it here.

KnotSo

Admin
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Supporting Member
It's official. Big Dog Motorcycles has ceased the production of motorcycles for the immediate future. (They haven't made any since September that I am aware of anyway). They are re-organizing as 'Big Dog Performance Parts" and are still open and will remain in business for the foreseeable future.

This is a completely different situation than American Iron Horse and other makers that no longer exist.

For the vast majority of owners nothing will change and it might actually increase the value of the motorcycles you already own as supplies dwindle. I know I have shipped many bikes to the EU lately and have been paying more this year for replacement used stock than I was paying last year for similar bikes.

Ride your bikes and enjoy one of the finest production bikes ever made. We will still be here to service you. :up:
Tank, we all appreciate the update and know your dealership will continue to provide the high level of customer service they have for many years past and will continue to do so in the future.:2thumbs:

The strokers family always has eachotjers backs
You all talk funny down yonder, but we still look forward to reading your posts :)

OrangeSkullz

I did some checking also. For now they are not going out of business. It's business as usual. That blog (Cyril Huze) is total bullshit. All BDM did was to furlough some more employees. But we have to realize that in these times we are living in now, where the banks aren't giving away money like candy anymore, it's hard for someone to get a bank loan to buy a new Big Dog. And how many of us can dish out the cash to buy one outright. Those that can are also leary to let the money go. So unless this economy picks up, closing will probably be inevitable. I figure I will just keep my bike in the best condition I can and have faith that if I ever need anything I will be able to find it here.
:lol: :lol: :lol: Better check harder next time. Cyril Huze has been wrong how many times when he's broke news?

Thats what I thought.

reloaderbmg

OLD DOG
I have never met, nor who you are but this statement alone tells me ALOT

you voted for Obama didn't you? :loony:
if you guys are smart!!! you would stop spanking each others weeny. and start sending some cash to the people who run this site!!!
it just became your life line to your ride!!
as for BDM. let the dust settle!

Gas Man

Cool isn't cheap
Calendar Participant
Supporting Member
Good Lord....another Big Dog bashing from Cyril Huze is on his blog right now. This guy needs to shut off his laptop and go for a ride. Ok so BDM is gone but the company is moving on with a new venture. Best of luck to Mr. Coleman and my plan is to enjoy the hell out of my K-9.
I don't think Cyril has bashed anybody. Unless you mean the others posting on his blog, then yes. Cyril is a well respected and reputable journalist that is far deeper into the motorcycle industry then you or even I could ever dream of.

You better get your shit straight holmes.... you are WAY WAY off base! And before you think about going after me next... you better get a reality check and look around here for a bit. I'm not the tree you want to go barking up.

************************ cont to a new post with new info*****************

Confirmed again in Witchita Paper

Big Dog Motorcycles is no more; Intrust forecloses | Wichita Eagle

Well at least Baker is stepping up to make their parts available. This is something that many BDM owners have wished for many many many years. Hopefully something that will bring owners back in line to the "true" Baker drivetrain line.
All Big Dog Motorcycles Drivetrain Service Parts Available Directly From Baker at Cyril Huze Blog

MARV

And before you think about going after me next... you better get a reality check and look around here for a bit. I'm not the tree you want to go barking up.
now thats funny

what are you going to give him?

ten tongue lashes? :roll:

KnotSo

Admin
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Supporting Member
:lol: :lol: :lol: Better check harder next time. Cyril Huze has been wrong how many times when he's broke news?

Thats what I thought.
Ok, I will bite, How many times?

To all: NO POLITICS. :bang: If you need further clarification or reinforcement of this, please pm me.

HuskerChop

I was in Wichita yesterday and had to stop by Big Dog. Asked receptionist how things were goin and she said "you havent heard have ya?" She is an absolute sweetheart! She told me the news, I hadnt heard a thing about it. Been too fricken busy with work and havent been on here in awhile! Sucks bad! I was actually there to visit the starter store beside Big Dog, this guy has all of the parts to rebuild a starter minus the coil. I bought a motor and some other odds n ends to rebuild my spare.

While in BDM, Sheldon came in from California. I chatted with him for awhile and he seems optomistic about BDM Performance. They have about 15 employee's left and they are moving straight north to a building on the north side of the service shop. I think the other buildings are goin to be sold.

I love my Dog and am not worried about parts and such, do all my own work and rebuilt this one from a salvaged head on accident and am confident that I, with the help of the resources on this site, we can all keep each other supported.

I wish everyone at Big Dog the best of luck and hope things work out in the future! Wouldnt hesitate buying another tomorrow if this fricken government would get straightened out!:angry::bang:

spiderjason

Well I hate to hear this... I actually had to sell my Big Dog K9 back in Nov because I hadn't worked in two years... Hated to see it go!!! It wasn't really the fact of the bike payment... I had the Bike paid off but just couldn't afford to enjoy it going to Rally's and things I liked to do with it...

K9Anniv

I was in Wichita yesterday and had to stop by Big Dog.....While in BDM, Sheldon came in from California. I chatted with him for awhile and he seems optomistic about BDM Performance. They have about 15 employee's left and they are moving straight north to a building on the north side of the service shop. I think the other buildings are going to be sold.

I love my Dog and am not worried about parts and such, do all my own work and rebuilt this one from a salvaged head on accident and am confident that I, with the help of the resources on this site, we can all keep each other supported.

I wish everyone at Big Dog the best of luck and hope things work out in the future! Wouldnt hesitate buying another tomorrow if this fricken government would get straightened out!:angry::bang:
Well said, Husker!!!
Hopeful news for the future of "BDM Performance", it sounds! :up:

Gas Man

Cool isn't cheap
Calendar Participant
Supporting Member
Well at least Baker is stepping up to make their parts available. This is something that many BDM owners have wished for many many many years. Hopefully something that will bring owners back in line to the "true" Baker drivetrain line.
All Big Dog Motorcycles Drivetrain Service Parts Available Directly From Baker at Cyril Huze Blog
First Baker stepped up...

Now S&S is doing the same...

S&S Cycle to Stand Behind Big Dog Motorcycle Engine Warranties at Cyril Huze Blog

You own a Big Dog motorcycle owner and after the announcement of the closure of Big Dog Motorcycle Company you wonder where to turn to for warranty support on your bike Though the official BDM warranty ended with the company being foreclosed by its lender then dissolved, S&S Cycle is stepping up to the plate and offering a special engine warranty to all owners of Big Dog motorcycles that were still covered by the factory warranty. S&S company president George Smith Jr. commented “I’m certainly sad to see a good customer like BDM close their doors, but I feel that we need to shoulder the responsibility, and make sure the end customer gets a square deal. I suppose we could just look the other way, but I won’t do that. After all, these are S&S engines. We built them and we’re going to stand behind them!”

The special engine warranty will remain in force for the original owner of the bike, for as long as the original vehicle warranty would have lasted. To be eligible owners will simply need to confirm that their vehicle was still under warranty by presenting an original bill of sale to any S&S dealer. S&S Cycle of Viola, Wisconsin would also like to assure owners of BDM bikes that S&S will be able to supply engine parts to keep your Big Dog in the hunt for years to come. Owners of older BDM bikes no longer under warranty may have the engines repaired by an S&S dealer, or your dealer can send them to S&S to be professionally rebuilt by the S&S Remanufacturing Service in LaCrosse, WI. S&S will charge the same reasonable rate charged to any S&S engine owner, and we’ll even do performance upgrades at the same time..Visit the S&S website at for more details or to find an S&S dealer in your area

Don’t want to let a sleeping dog lie? S&S Cycle offers BDM owners a wide choice of stock emissions compliant, stock replacement engine components, or performance upgrades for competition. Visit the S&S Website BDM Page. for more information on the Big Dog Support Center and to check out the most popular performance products to wake up your Big Dog.