Install/Repair Gas Cap Paint Saver; Bubbling Paint

Energy One

Fat_Bastard

UPDATE................. The paint saver ring by Shannon has worked great and looks great. The gas cap/paint saver by Kuryakyn has been a disappointment. First thing to happen is the vent disc dropped into the tank. Apparently it was glued with non-gas resistant glue. Got another one and that one leaks out the vent holes. Not sure if I will try another or look for something else. The chrome and machining are great on the unit, functionality NOT. I thought I had the problem solved, but after a couple fills, the sucker began to leak gas.
Looks great!
Thanks for update "armad"!

Update July 24, 2017 it has been 9 months since my gas tank paint bubble problem was fixed by me.
It is all looking great! and holding up wonderfully! :old2: :patriot:
There is hope... :yesnod:

Last edited:

Kenny G

I had the misfortune of getting an expensive custom paint job by so called experts that failed miserably within days; from paint bubbles around the gas cap.

This was caused by gas or gas fumes getting under or between the paint and underlying metal gas tank because the rubber gasket was used improperly, with improper adhesive.

To properly fix it in my case:

1) Remove the stock Landmark gas cap

2) Remove the stock Landmark Paint Saver Ring screwed into the gas tank with the SPECIAL Landmark REMOVAL TOOL (not shown).

2a) Landmark Removal Tool

3) In my case the Landmark paint saver ring was installed incorrectly with the rubber gasket (badly worn and not the same style as provided by Landmark) see photo below.

4) Clean up any loose material and block pieces from falling into tank with tape…

5) Re-attach loose paint bubbles with crazy glue equivalent; I used XBon super glue; other products may work as well (no luck with clear nail polish as some suggest). Wear rubber gloves in case you smear and get fingers stuck to paint, tank, etc…

6) Contact: “MR. Wright” of this Forum to have him custom make you an oversize paint saver ring to fit your situation out of stainless steel stock. (about $35.) see below lower right in photo.

7) Dry fit all to be sure of the look and fitment, bend, etc, will work…

8) Place masking tape around area to cover where you do not want RTV silicone to go and keep it neat.

9) Assemble with RTV Silicone glue (I used clear) on the gas tank threads and top edge; then put RTV Silicone on underside of large MR. Wright ring. Place on tank wipe excess oozing off inside of tank; masking tape dam will block from falling into tank.

10) RTV silicone up the smaller Landmark threaded paint saver ring and screw in to tank threads through center of the larger MR. Wright paint saver ring. DO NOT USE THE RUBBER GASKET! Or it will leak…

11) Tighten Landmark paint saver ring with tool to very snug fit or in my opinion what would be about 30 ft. lbs. of torque. The RTV Silicone will ooze out everywhere --a good thing, and wipe excess to clean up.

Recommend: WAIT 3 FULL DAYS TO DRY WITH TANK GAS CAP OFF, NO GAS IN TANK ! in well ventilated area.

After that gas up; never fill past inside metal lower neck of tank. (As I knew from my early teens on any bike-- and you probably do too).

What I like:
The new larger Mr. Wright paint saver ring prevents scratches in paint from finger nails and gas nozzle flex boot (in California gas pump nozzles) may scratch paint.

This fix has worked now for 4 months and 10 tanks of gas. A lot less expensive than new paint and I believe it is a much better set up than stock.

I have seen this done with the Kuryaken gas cap set up as well both look very nice!

PS: side experiment: I took a thumb nail size blob of Permatex RTV silicone after 4 hours dry time and drenched it periodically in gasoline over the 3 day wait; it never decomposed, compromised or damaged it... AMAZING!

I also bought a brand new Landmark Gas Cap (vented as original) with paint saver and removal tool included ($95.) Got it in one day since Landmark is in Oceanside, California 20 miles down the freeway.
http://www.landmarkmfg.com/

Gas Cap dis-assembled below to show vent and inspect...

Any contact info for "mr. Wright"?

brent tamor

I had the misfortune of getting an expensive custom paint job by so called experts that failed miserably within days; from paint bubbles around the gas cap. (This thread started 12-3-2016 for those tracking longevity)

This was caused by gas or gas fumes getting under or between the paint and underlying metal gas tank because the rubber gasket was used improperly, with improper adhesive.

To properly fix it in my case:

1) Remove the stock Landmark gas cap

2) Remove the stock Landmark Paint Saver Ring screwed into the gas tank with the SPECIAL Landmark REMOVAL TOOL (not shown).

2a) Landmark Removal Tool

3) In my case the Landmark paint saver ring was installed incorrectly with the rubber gasket (badly worn and not the same style as provided by Landmark) see photo below.

4) Clean up any loose material and block pieces from falling into tank with tape…

5) Re-attach loose paint bubbles with crazy glue equivalent; I used XBon super glue; other products may work as well (no luck with clear nail polish as some suggest). Wear rubber gloves in case you smear and get fingers stuck to paint, tank, etc…

6) Contact: “MR. Wright” of this Forum to have him custom make you an oversize paint saver ring to fit your situation out of stainless steel stock. (about $35.) see below lower right in photo.

7) Dry fit all to be sure of the look and fitment, bend, etc, will work…

8) Place masking tape around area to cover where you do not want RTV silicone to go and keep it neat.

9) Assemble with RTV Silicone glue (I used clear) on the gas tank threads and top edge; then put RTV Silicone on underside of large MR. Wright ring. Place on tank wipe excess oozing off inside of tank; masking tape dam will block from falling into tank.

10) RTV silicone up the smaller Landmark threaded paint saver ring and screw in to tank threads through center of the larger MR. Wright paint saver ring. DO NOT USE THE RUBBER GASKET! Or it will leak…

11) Tighten Landmark paint saver ring with tool to very snug fit or in my opinion what would be about 30 ft. lbs. of torque. The RTV Silicone will ooze out everywhere --a good thing, and wipe excess to clean up.

Recommend: WAIT 3 FULL DAYS TO DRY WITH TANK GAS CAP OFF, NO GAS IN TANK ! in well ventilated area.

After that gas up; never fill past inside metal lower neck of tank. (As I knew from my early teens on any bike-- and you probably do too).

What I like:
The new larger Mr. Wright paint saver ring prevents scratches in paint from finger nails and gas nozzle flex boot (in California gas pump nozzles) may scratch paint.

This fix has worked now for 4 months and 10 tanks of gas. A lot less expensive than new paint and I believe it is a much better set up than stock.

I have seen this done with the Kuryaken gas cap set up as well both look very nice!

PS: side experiment: I took a thumb nail size blob of Permatex RTV silicone after 4 hours dry time and drenched it periodically in gasoline over the 3 day wait; it never decomposed, compromised or damaged it... AMAZING!

I also bought a brand new Landmark Gas Cap (vented as original) with paint saver and removal tool included ($95.) Got it in one day since Landmark is in Oceanside, California 20 miles down the freeway.
http://www.landmarkmfg.com/

Gas Cap dis-assembled below to show vent and inspect...

I'd like to order the exact setup for my 2005 Chopper. Can you send me contact info for the fabricator?

Fat_Bastard

Update: June 1, 2019
2.5 years! and still working great!
Thanks Mr. Wright!

Update: Sep. 12, 2020
Almost 4 years now and still lookin' great!

(Just wanted to get this update in before I get banned for no good reason --or something like that.)

Last edited:

knothead

Second Chance Customs
Supporting Member
For some reason I can't send PM's to some people any more. So I'll just post my number here. Give me a call. 57three- two47-3five 08
20190426_203335.jpg
Well Shannon there is the 5" we talked about last week...its aluminum instead of stainless...still needs more polishing...but it will work till i get time to make one out of stainless...all i had was a 4x8 sheet of stainless and i hated to mess the sheet up over 5" piece...its a little goofy big but it is what it is...and yes shaping took little more time cause of the size like we talked about...