I'm looking at purchasing the Altima 131 fat bastard engine and putting it in my '05 big dog chopper curious if this will fit ?

Energy One
Thank you , I'm going with the R1 carb it comes with for now. If I have problems I'll go 48 mm Mikuni , I'm looking forward to this 131 swap project

I actually lost part of a ring on my 117 s&s and I could tell it was the back cylinder by less snap on that exhaust pipe and you can smell your fingers and tell if they're both running properly with the mixture
I do appreciate your sarcasm

Mikeinjersey

Thank you , I'm going with the R1 carb it comes with for now. If I have problems I'll go 48 mm Mikuni , I'm looking forward to this 131 swap project

I actually lost part of a ring on my 117 s&s and I could tell it was the back cylinder by less snap on that exhaust pipe and you can smell your fingers and tell if they're both running properly with the mixture
Very interesting! If I were you I would consider rebuilding your 117. Ask on this site and I'm sure someone will know just what to do to build plenty of HP and Torque out of the 117. If your lower end is untouched by the ring failure your cost to repair would be way cheaper than a new engine.
My opinion: I think you will devalue your bike by changing out the S&S.

Very interesting! If I were you I would consider rebuilding your 117. Ask on this site and I'm sure someone will know just what to do to build plenty of HP and Torque out of the 117. If your lower end is untouched by the ring failure your cost to repair would be way cheaper than a new engine.
My opinion: I think you will devalue your bike by changing out the S&S.
When I bought it it was freshly rebuilt ran good for 5k miles. That's when I noticed the problem which was bigger than just the ring it took out the cam side needle bearing so the whole thing had to be rebuilt new bearings and all almost 6k , that was 5 years ago and 3,000 mi now it started knocking real bad and sucking oil off the top through the breather into the carb , The shop I took it back to that built it the second time says it's probably too messed with to rebuild something on the bottom end isn't right , That's why I'm just going with a new motor and starting over , I'm not real worried about the value I don't ever plan on selling it I'm only 44 got a lot of childhood left

mleach72

Keep in mind, the stock transmission is only rated for 120 hp or so. I'm sure an Ultima 131 produces a good bit more than that. The tranny won't last very long. Several guys have found this out after sinking a bunch of money into their motors. You will need to upgrade some things to handle that engine. I would recommend getting a hold of Curtis at Wild Steed Worx. He will know what will need done.

Keep in mind, the stock transmission is only rated for 120 hp or so. I'm sure an Ultima 131 produces a good bit more than that. The tranny won't last very long. Several guys have found this out after sinking a bunch of money into their motors. You will need to upgrade some things to handle that engine. I would recommend getting a hold of Curtis at Wild Steed Worx. He will know what will need done.
I have a synchronized primary , just had the tranny completely rebuilt , all new parts so I guess I'll look into this , thank for the info , I've purchased some parts from Steed worx before so I have their numbers

Jwooky

I have a synchronized primary , just had the tranny completely rebuilt , all new parts so I guess I'll look into this , thank for the info , I've purchased some parts from Steed worx before so I have their numbers
I agree, be careful with the trans. If your not into burnouts, and clutch dumps you should be ok.

I tend to roll into the throttle to keep the loads down, and the wheel from spinning.

I agree, be careful with the trans. If your not into burnouts, and clutch dumps you should be ok.

I tend to roll into the throttle to keep the loads down, and the wheel from spinning.
Agreed my 117 s&s was built up stronger than stock and it had (with 0 dumps/burnouts) 25,000 miles before a complete rebuild , only because I wanted it rebuilt after finding tiny shinny specs as I drained the tranny

Hey 05 sorry to hear about your bad luck. Definitely don't scrap your engine. I'm sure someone on this site would take it to rebuild if you posted it on the Swap Meet forum.
I'll look into that , I may make a coffee table for the man cave lol shit it might be worth more as art ?

jovi

I have a Merch 131. Its ok if you like working on a bike more than riding. Motor runs good but every time I ride I break something. Primary chain,starter,clutch, rear sprocket bolts. And I am just waiting to break the baker 6 speed. Its like having a hot rod car work on it all week to drive it on Saturday. But it is fast I have been 142 mph on it. I enjoy my 107 TP or my Harley 103 a lot more. I will soon see how I like my 117 since my Mastiff will be here this coming week.