Ignition switch issues

Butch Cassidy

How has it held up?
So far so good. It bolted right in place and fastened down securely ... had to make some 'adjustments' to connect the wiring.. but nothing difficult.. just basic splice and connect. I am more confident now..... so much that it doesn't even come to mind.

Th3InfamousI

Administrator
Staff member

BigDogRick

I have replaced my switch about five times. I realized early on the billet housing that holds that very shallow (hence very few tumbler) switch does not have enough room for the multitude of better switches out there. I hollowed out the billet with a Dremell to make room for a larger barrel that requires a longer key. At 80K miles, divided by 5 switches, I guess I am averaging 16K per switch. The problem is as you say, vibration. With time the key just falls out, usually while you are running - so, lost forever. I am currently running one I found at a Kawasaki dealer that is two position. I like it because it provides a double click that lets me turn off power while still being unable to remove the key (if you wire the two poles for the second position only). Don't over-think it. Its a basic switch that any toggle (as Shannon has said) will do. I replaced my first switch with a big ol' truckers toggle that lit up when on on the road back from Sturgis one year.

Deathstar88

what about the BDM switches that dead one customs has? are they quality? Are they better quality than the tractor supply ones? The 9n tractor supply switches got horrible reviews online. I need a switch that isn't so easily turned off. Mine turned off the other day while riding.

Th3InfamousI

Administrator
Staff member
what about the BDM switches that dead one customs has? are they quality? Are they better quality than the tractor supply ones? The 9n tractor supply switches got horrible reviews online. I need a switch that isn't so easily turned off. Mine turned off the other day while riding.
Yep they suck..go with his and don't fight the tractor supply switches.

I've tested 4 and all loose continuity prior to the key going past the "click" which is just ridiculous.

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk

mastiffdave

Yep they suck..go with his and don't fight the tractor supply switches.

I've tested 4 and all loose continuity prior to the key going past the "click" which is just ridiculous.

it must be problem with the newer switches because just about all of us up here are TSC equipped and never had a problem yet. I've ran mine about 5 years now.

Th3InfamousI

Administrator
Staff member
it must be problem with the newer switches because just about all of us up here are TSC equipped and never had a problem yet. I've ran mine about 5 years now.
Maybe in the last 5 years they moved it to China. They still have a Briggs and Stratton stamp on them.

wrench

articat snowmobile switches will fit with a lil work and they last too. I just put one in a customers 2000 vintage classic today. the last of the vintage classics. only 26 made in 2000 and all of em are silver and black. it had a toggel switch. a toggle switch lol,,,dang tractor mechanic mentality . really guys, a toggle switch ignition in a bike that cost over 20 grand new. :):(

bdm7250

Guru
Supporting Member
I got one from DOC's, nice switch, very tight and key will not come out when in the on position.

mastiffdave

How ya doing Dave.
I'm actually doing quite better and getting better frame of mind , thanks for asking. I've been watching the forums some and been kind of disappointed about most things but here is a something to get on the band with.

Hate to find out the tsc switches are now junk but surely they are better than those silly little sportser switches that came in our old wire plus kits. I don't know about docs switches .

BWG56

Guru
I'm actually doing quite better and getting better frame of mind , thanks for asking. I've been watching the forums some and been kind of disappointed about most things but here is a something to get on the band with.

Hate to find out the tsc switches are now junk but surely they are better than those silly little sportser switches that came in our old wire plus kits. I don't know about docs switches .
Doc's are OEM switches

68sschevyII

I put a john deere tractor key switch in mine bout 16 yrs ago cause big dogs had a problem with the keys falling out while in the on position. still works fine today.

Mine still has the original keys and they fall out as stated. I am trying to find a short somewhere myself now. Bike shut off and wont do anything now. All I have is a headlight, speedo lights up and I lost half my turn signals. ignition switch is in need of replacing but I think I have something else happening as well. What a pain!

Tommy

BigDogRick

So... truth be told ... Shannon and I bypassed my switch when we old school rewired the bike and I now rely on an obscure toggle switch (on/off). Only a thief will think the keyed switch does anything. I love it.