I have a 2000 BG Husky It runs fine for about 7 miles then it only runs on one cylinder. Has anyone experienced this problem?

Energy One

Thunder4000

My Big dog Husky will run good at night but during the day, I will take it about 7 miles and then will start only firing on one cylinder. does anyone have any ideas on what's going on?

Sven

Can't be fuel related if it keeps running at night with both firing, and 7 miles in as well during the day.
Can't be the cam/crank sensor if it fires both, knowing if we look at wire in-wire out as it fires twice.
Can't be the coil [if] we are talking single coil, with two leads out, we are back to wire in-wire out on that jobber so it's not the coil if it keeps firing twice at night and throw the 7.
Can't be the spark plug if it runs at night and 7 miles as the other variable... scratch this too.

Could be the spark plug wires from coil to plugs. To see if this ignition part(s) narrows down to this one wire, we swap wires so the other cylinder stops firing 7 miles in. If that happens to be it, change out both wires for new.

Mickmorris

Supporting Member
I had a similar issue. Every once in a while the front cylinder would drop. Ended up being a bad o-ring on the breather tube where it screws into the engine just below the rocker cover. This is on a 2000 Vintage Sport.89FEF083-F09C-44C7-BE61-567DF42F592E.jpeg

Jersey Big Mike

100K mile club
It would seem that you have a heat related failure.
Since the obvious culprit is hotter in the day than at night.
You need to either use a heat gun/hair dryer at night to gently add a little extra heat to spots or
use a "freeze spray" such as https://www.amazon.com/BW-100-Freez...jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

The FREEZE spray is by far the SAFER of the 2 options -- it is very easy to overheat and kill things with the heat gun.

With the freeze spray, fire the bike up during the day, ride the required time to failure and use freeze spray on parts that may be suspect. If you chill something and it fires again you probably found it -- test it twice to be sure.

Thunder4000

Thanks I'll be looking at that tonight. I was going to look to see if it was electrical too. It has the Thunderheart ignition system with a single fire coil. The fuel tank Upper rubber mounting grommet I just replaced. was going to pull the tank conceal off and check the wires

Jersey Big Mike

100K mile club
Thanks I'll be looking at that tonight. I was going to look to see if it was electrical too. It has the Thunderheart ignition system with a single fire coil. The fuel tank Upper rubber mounting grommet I just replaced. was going to pull the tank conceal off and check the wires
Heat -- actually thermal cycling (getting hot, cooling off repeat) is the biggest killer of electronics and can even cause simple connection issues.

bdm7250

Guru
Supporting Member
Just throwing it out there but you could have a coil going bad, as it heats up could be crapping out, experienced it before..

knothead

Second Chance Customs
Supporting Member
Its the coil....hmans has cracks in it from heat and thats why he changed it....im sure he was having major miss fire cause of it