How To Replace Your Headlight

Energy One
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gas Man

Cool isn't cheap
Calendar Participant
First unscrew the 1/16th inch allen screw under the headlight. There are 2 allens and 4 holes. The far back allen locks in a backing plate for the short lamp that BD uses. The allen towards the front holds the decrotive ring in place.

Remove the decrotive chrome ring with your hands by spinning lefty loosy! If your fingers are slipping try one of those rubber jar openers or latex gloves.

Now you'll find the retaining ring.

Now they make a tool for it that most of us don't have. So I do the phillips head screwdriver and small hammer trick like so...

Gas Man

Cool isn't cheap
Calendar Participant
You end up with everything coming out of the headlight. Here's the order...

Put the decrotive and retaining ring aside.

Unplug the headlight... here's the back side of your headlight.

Now un-hook the clip

While everything is out. Take your time and clean the threads on both rings and the headlight bucket. They will have neversieze on it with dirt. This will help in the re-essembly.

If you are installing a new headlamp like me... read the second post. If not go to the third post.

I swapped out my stock adjure headlight bulb like so.

Gas Man

Cool isn't cheap
Calendar Participant
Now proceed to the 3rd post for re-assemble.

Plug in the headlamp with the new headlight bulb and put back in the headlight bucket ensuring the rubber in flat.

Like so.

Now get some new Neversieze on the threads.

Spin on the retaining ring while keeping the bottom of the lamp aligned with the set screw holes on the bottom of the bucket. This will ensure that the lamp is installed level.

Make sure its in there tight. If it bounces around you will go thru bulbs fast. Not too mention it will rattle and drive you nuts.

Now spin on the decretive ring. Once tight, re-install the allen set screw with loctite.

Chopper Dave

SIICK!!!
Hey Gas....I just ordered a pack of those PIAA GTX H-4 bulbs like you got. I am just going to swap out the bulb for now...then maybe later I will do the whole lamp housing like you did....hey at least I will have a spare bulb too!:whoop:

Gas Man

Cool isn't cheap
Calendar Participant
Yeah having the spare bulb is why I didn't sell off my second bulb. I like having the extra on hand.

Chopper Dave

SIICK!!!
Hopefully I will get it by Wednesday......then I could put it on before I ride dwon for my 500 service....or being that I am bringing the bike in...I might see if they could throw it in for me....but if not...no biggie....I can do it myself:D

Gas Man

Cool isn't cheap
Calendar Participant
Well if you don't already have it done... which I'm sure you do... they could put it in when they do the headlight wiring bullitin.

Gas Man

Cool isn't cheap
Calendar Participant
Nothing more than a wire extension of the headlight wire inside the headlight bucket. Most likely yours has been done. A quick call to Joe at Full Throttle and your project number will tell you for sure or not.

Chopper Dave

SIICK!!!
Thanks Chris....I will call him Wed. before I take it in Thurs. and see if mine was done or not. Now was this like a recall thing or something that they have been doing?

Last edited:

Raywood

The Pirate
Staff member
Calendar Participant
Troop Supporter
Gas Man, you didn't include your turn signal shades on this post. I bought the lense covers for mine at the HD dealer and they don't fit. The clips are too short. I will take them back today and see if they have any larger ones or just return them.
Thanks,
Ray

Gas Man

Cool isn't cheap
Calendar Participant
I didn't put up that thread... you're right.

But I also didn't do that mod when I did this one.

The lens themselves move inside the chrome visor.. are you sure yours aren't just pushed in or something strange? Cause mine fit on super easy.

P8RIOT

Calendar Participant
Gas Man, you didn't include your turn signal shades on this post. I bought the lense covers for mine at the HD dealer and they don't fit. The clips are too short. I will take them back today and see if they have any larger ones or just return them.
Thanks,
Ray
As usual, Raywood is right on. I had the same experience. I bought mine at the local HD dealer, part number 69760-05, "Bullet Front Turn Signal Trim Ring," and the tabs are shorter than the ones on our Dogs. I was about to call Vickie when I saw this post.

EDIT - OOPS - IGNORE ALL THAT! I just noticed that the INNER lens is separate from the "CHROME" ring. That is, the clear part with the tabs slides inside the chrome ring. When you take them out of the package, they are compressed together, so it looks like the tabs are shorter, and it is all one piece - but you just have to push out the center lens a bit, and VOILA - they fit just fine.

BTW, the only difference in the HD packaging between FRONT and REAR is the light bulbs, not the lens covers. Front = 1157, and rear = 1156. You can also get the trim rings without the bulbs, but my HD dealer didn't have them, so I just got the kits they did have - with the bulbs.

Last edited:

Gas Man

Cool isn't cheap
Calendar Participant
I didn't put up that thread... you're right.

But I also didn't do that mod when I did this one.

The lens themselves move inside the chrome visor.. are you sure yours aren't just pushed in or something strange? Cause mine fit on super easy.

Just like I said.... :2thumbs:

Status
Not open for further replies.