Help! Electrical issues!

Energy One

Big Dog Mikey

Having some severe issues that I can use your help trying to address… Just recently had my wiring upgraded to the new big dog ECM Supposedly to fix issues that would come up in the future… I Should start by saying I just bought this big dog a couple months ago and heard everybody explain that the old wiring is going to cause major issues and you need to upgrade or you’re going to have terrible problems… Like I said I bought this 2007 big dog and Mastiff in March but have only wrote it a couple times because of the weather… It was running perfectly with no issues but decided I should spend the money and have someone upgrade the wiring because all the posts and everybody telling me that it was just a matter of time before things started going haywire… I took it to a shop here in town that is owned by a guy that used to work for KC Creations Who used to be the local big dog distributor here in the Kansas City area… He too said that this is something that really needs to be done and that he had a kit on his shelf so about three weeks ago I had him do it… After I got it back I wrote it one time and when I went to shut it off the issue you see in the video started happening as I was getting ready to walk into work… I put my key back in turned it to the on position ... Then back to the off position... And it seemed to clear up the problem… I wondered if the ignition switch was an issue and I needed to turn the key harder… But forgot about the issue because I didn’t notice it again….
Skip to you last night… I washed the bike in my driveway using buckets of water because my apartment complex does not have a hose… So no hard spraying... but a few buckets of water poured over the bike… When I cleaned and dried it I rolled it back into the garage and left it there on the trickle charger… When I came out 10 minutes later to turn the garage light off I looked over and the speedometer looked as if it was possessed and throwing numbers all over the place as you will see in the video… All you Big Dog Guru’s out there... I am asking for your input? What can I do/try to fix this???? Your help is very appreciated!!!!! Thanks!

TapioK

Is it just me or does it look there is a lot of black wires crisscrossing there... you did say it is a Big Dog RIP kit they put there, right?

Th3InfamousI

Administrator
Staff member
Can't see the videos, but you did pay a shop to put in the unit. If you can consistently create the issue, shouldn't you take it back to him?

We can certainly try and help but electrical is challenging on a forum and not sure how comfortable you are anyways.

Regarding the washing issue, must have just gotten water somewhere and may dry out on its own. Again can't see the video so don't know what's going on

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk

aspen874

let me see: before with original wiring- no problems. after with replaced wiring installed by people that make money selling stuff for a living, problems. does this tell you anything?
Hi Mike, I have agree with Tom, you had no problems prior, you let someone create a problem that didn't exist. I would suggest you take the bike back to the guy who installed this kit and make him fix it or replace it. I am sorry this has happen to you, not everyone has had electrical issues. I also have a 2007 Mastiff since 2009, ZERO electrical problems.

I would also suggest that you don't dump water on your Mastiff, I always clean by hand and never use water. I hope you can get this resolved quickly so you can enjoy your bike.

roadie1389

Take the side covers off so you can have a look but none of that wiring looks like a RIP. The only box that has an LED is the ignition module IF you have a RIP. I have ridden in the rain and the only issue I have ever had is the Neutral light will come on for a short period of time until it dries. It does sound like the guy that did the work might not have done a good job.

If you can get it out in the sun and take some butter pics that might help but yes electrical issue are a pain to debug. IF you have an air compressor or a blower, try blowing all around there and get all the water out.

What is that thing with the hands sticking out on the bike?

roadie1389

There is also some other module on there as well. So you have a number of things going against you so far. Please don't take this wrong but that wiring is a mess. I think the FB post, somebody posted they think the electronics is a WP kit. If you can take the covers off and get a better photo, we can help out more.

Same old scare tactics so many are using these days to sell there stuff.
The only thing in the BD that demands immediate replacement when nothing else is wrong is the crap BD charging system.
The late 04 and on BD proprietary VR is the leading cause of electronic component death in BDs.
It's not to say that it hasn't already had a chance to cause damage to many of the components already and you still may have some failures after you replace it but it can definitely be said that it will, sooner or later, kill anything new you put in it.
Like allot of things it is hit and miss with some folks. I know a few who have thousand of miles on their BDs and still have the stock charging system but I also knows hundreds who had to get rid of it. I have shops and private owners who don't listen to us and put a new EHC in a BD without getting rid of the charging system and imagine, just a short time later the new EHC has been damaged and usually along with a couple of other new components that were just replaced as well. But then the charging system is replaced and it's like magic no more failures. Take it for what it's worth. I have fifteen years under my belt now of doing nothing but Big Dogs.
CompUFire or Cycle Electric nothing else.
And please folks stop buying cheap, or in some cases expensive, Asian batteries and batteries with less than 310CCAs. They don't last or work well with Big Twins.

Th3InfamousI

Administrator
Staff member
There is also some other module on there as well. So you have a number of things going against you so far. Please don't take this wrong but that wiring is a mess. I think the FB post, somebody posted they think the electronics is a WP kit. If you can take the covers off and get a better photo, we can help out more.
If it's a WP kit, it would be easy to have a ground issue that kit made you have to cut all the 50+ wires and hook them up individually and all the grounds needed to be soldered together.

It's been many years since I did mine but it was probably about 15-20 of the 22AWG ground wires that all need to be bundled together.

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk

Nukeranger

Nukeranger
Supporting Member
Why do you have a Duracell Battery in your Big Dog and when was it installed? I agree with the others, take it back to the installer and have him fix it. It could be a relay buzzing or messed up wiring. Do you know what upgrade kit was installed? If not, find out so somebody can help.

TapioK

That was the reason for my first rather careful comment, the shear amount of wires I could see pointed to Wires Plus. If that really is the case, I feel whatever the company was did somewhat fuck you up talking about New Big Dog system.

roadie1389

Why do you have a Duracell Battery in your Big Dog and when was it installed? I agree with the others, take it back to the installer and have him fix it. It could be a relay buzzing or messed up wiring. Do you know what upgrade kit was installed? If not, find out so somebody can help.
The Duracell battery is made by East Penn. They make Deka, Duracell, and a number of OEM branded batteries.

http://www.eastpennmanufacturing.com/east-penn-releases-new-duracell-automotive-batteries/

If he pulls the side covers off he should be able to nail down where the sound is coming from. From all the wires and grounds he has it almost looks like a PDM kit.

Gottaflirt

Leaving it all behind
Having some severe issues that I can use your help trying to address… Just recently had my wiring upgraded to the new big dog ECM Supposedly to fix issues that would come up in the future… I Should start by saying I just bought this big dog a couple months ago and heard everybody explain that the old wiring is going to cause major issues and you need to upgrade or you’re going to have terrible problems… Like I said I bought this 2007 big dog and Mastiff in March but have only wrote it a couple times because of the weather… It was running perfectly with no issues but decided I should spend the money and have someone upgrade the wiring because all the posts and everybody telling me that it was just a matter of time before things started going haywire… I took it to a shop here in town that is owned by a guy that used to work for KC Creations Who used to be the local big dog distributor here in the Kansas City area… He too said that this is something that really needs to be done and that he had a kit on his shelf so about three weeks ago I had him do it… After I got it back I wrote it one time and when I went to shut it off the issue you see in the video started happening as I was getting ready to walk into work… I put my key back in turned it to the on position ... Then back to the off position... And it seemed to clear up the problem… I wondered if the ignition switch was an issue and I needed to turn the key harder… But forgot about the issue because I didn’t notice it again….
Skip to you last night… I washed the bike in my driveway using buckets of water because my apartment complex does not have a hose… So no hard spraying... but a few buckets of water poured over the bike… When I cleaned and dried it I rolled it back into the garage and left it there on the trickle charger… When I came out 10 minutes later to turn the garage light off I looked over and the speedometer looked as if it was possessed and throwing numbers all over the place as you will see in the video… All you Big Dog Guru’s out there... I am asking for your input? What can I do/try to fix this???? Your help is very appreciated!!!!! Thanks!
I wash my. 2007 K9 with a damp sponge snd a soapy rag and dry it off with micro fiber rag. I never use a car wash sprayer or even a garden hose. WATER IS NOT YOUR BIG DOG'S FRIEND!!
Because i like it to be clean, really shine, to run as well as possible and keep my maintance costs down idont ride in rain storms or even haul it on a trailer when its raining. I'm just saying The Big Dog just dosnt like water.

Sven

I'd throw the fan at it for hours on end and let the air dry out the wash.
I'd ride it to work so the heat and air would blow it dry too.
I'd have tools to remove the seat and battery cable just in case. Ground off first when bike's battery is all connected up. And ground on last when installing a new/serviced battery. A spike to the black box is a no-no, meaning, you grounded the battery [directly] thru the hot wires if you touch the (+) cable [to any ground] upon first removal.

Days of washing a computer bike are over. Wash with WD-40. Tar, wax, bugs, mud, stains come right off. Exposed wire friendly.

Customer: Ring-Ring!
Shop: Ben Dover Bike Wrks, how can I help me?

Customer: Hi Ben, it's Dee Tergent.
Shop: D' my man, long time no ring. Still riding everyday?

Customer: Yeah, Ben. Even ride after work.
Shop: So WATT can I do for you, an oil change?

Customer: No, I'm having a problem with the dash cycling thru a 'learn-process' or something programming with key off.
Shop: You didn't wash the bike lately have you?

Customer: WATT does that have anything to do with it?
Shop: Well, for years I have WD wiring up all our BD bikes and he has a 100% record of "no comebacks".

Customer: Shit, I thought I could blame this on the work done.
Shop: Let me check your records... yep, says 3yrs and 1,500 miles ago. What's on the speedo now?

Customer: 6,000 miles.
Shop: Well, let me ask you this, was it rated HE for clothes?

Customer: No.
Shop: There's your problem.

Last edited: