Hand controls

Energy One
So I've been having issues with the circuit boards in the hand controls. as soon as I fixed the left one the right one completely went out. My question is should I stay with the big dog hand controls or just switch over to harley hand controls to save myself the headache?

bdm7250

Guru
Supporting Member
So I've been having issues with the circuit boards in the hand controls. as soon as I fixed the left one the right one completely went out. My question is should I stay with the big dog hand controls or just switch over to harley hand controls to save myself the headache?
It is a matter of opinion, my opinion would be to stick with BDM, I take great care in my mastiff and have never had an issue with the hand controls. Take care of your dog and it will take care of you. Another opinion of mine would be that you need to do an introduction, tell us about yourself and your ride...:chopper:

The name is travis. I'm 26 years old and currently stationed in hawaii in the army. I have 9 months left here and I'll be in georgia for the next three years. I bought try 05 big dog chopper about two years ago. I've had nothing but issues with it sonce.I bought it. I freaking love the bike. it's my dream bike and my worst nightmare. I don't know what the previous owner put it through but I can't keep it on the road for longer than a month at a time.

I had to replace the stator, regulator, starter, speedometer, primary seal, turn signals, battery cables, I had my buddy Sauter the left hand control because it wasn't working. now the right one won't work. I also have a leak that seems to be coming from the starter. any help you guys can give me is greatly appreciated. I just want to ride.

bdm7250

Guru
Supporting Member
I had to replace the stator, regulator, starter, speedometer, primary seal, turn signals, battery cables, I had my buddy Sauter the left hand control because it wasn't working. now the right one won't work. I also have a leak that seems to be coming from the starter. any help you guys can give me is greatly appreciated. I just want to ride.
My suggestion for a starting point would be to search threads, your starter leak has been covered many times, there is a huge amount of knowledge on here and most questions have been answered previously. :old2:

sixpack

05s had a known issue with the O-ring seal on the starter failing, allowing oil to leak into the starter. Had it happen to me. replaced the factory starter and O-ring in 2007 and had no problems with them since.

bigkelk9

My personal opinion says scrap the BDM bs.. it's not water proof, so no normal washing the bike and hope and pray u don't get caught in the rain.. I got rid of all that stuff and it was the best thing I could a done.. I have vintage Harley Controls and hard wired with a simple 7 fuse panel system. .. good luck.. I just think it'll save u a lot of money in the long run. 20160908_143717.png

HMAN

I just like my Freedom
If you replace the control boards, a simple spray of marine conformal coating will totally waterproof them. If you want insurance, spray EVERY board on the Dog. I coated all mine when I did a tear down. Car wash don't skeer my Dog!

bigkelk9

So let's keep this simple.. u wanna stay stock.. bdm sells the set brand new for 249.. replace em and call it a day until something else goes wrong with that BDM electrical stuff.. lol.. it'll all work out for ya.. Screenshot_20161128-214835.png

Matheny 514

It is a matter of opinion, my opinion would be to stick with BDM, I take great care in my mastiff and have never had an issue with the hand controls. Take care of your dog and it will take care of you. :chopper:
:agree: Fix it with the right parts that's if they are even bad don't hack it up and put aftermarket or Harley controls on it
Maintain your bike, keep it clean and serviced
:agree:, this is the right way to do it. I'd stay with the stock BDM controls and take excellent care of the bike.

Parikh

My personal opinion says scrap the BDM bs.. it's not water proof, so no normal washing the bike and hope and pray u don't get caught in the rain.. I got rid of all that stuff and it was the best thing I could a done.. I have vintage Harley Controls and hard wired with a simple 7 fuse panel system. .. good luck.. I just think it'll save u a lot of money in the long run. View attachment 37599
You got me thinking now!