Gas hole paint fix

airbrush-ed

kustompaintbyed.com
What's up guys?
I've been meaning to do a thread on this for awhile. As it may help some of you with that pesky gas bubbles that sometimes crop up around the gas hole. The paint saver is designed to help with this, but sometimes it still happens. This happens when the gas fumes leech their way under the edge of the paint. Then the bubbles happen, and your stomach drops when you first see them. But you can save it from an expensive repair if you catch it soon enough.
So follow me as I attempt to show you how to (possibly) save your paint job.

Last edited:

airbrush-ed

kustompaintbyed.com
Screenshot_2017-05-09-00-01-52.png This is a tank I just finished for a new production Bigdog. We're gonna be doing a little surgery on this so that we'll never have to deal with problems down the road. If you do it correctly, it will all be hidden under the tank saver.

airbrush-ed

kustompaintbyed.com
Screenshot_2017-05-09-00-03-29.png
Cut back your tape. Screenshot_2017-05-09-00-04-28.png Screenshot_2017-05-09-00-04-36.png
Now it gets scary. Carefully cut through the clear, paint, and primer. You want to get down to metal.Screenshot_2017-05-09-00-04-44.png
Now slide your blade under the paint, and slowly cut it loose. Stay inside that tape ring!
Screenshot_2017-05-09-00-04-51.png
This is the end result.

Last edited:

airbrush-ed

kustompaintbyed.com
Screenshot_2017-05-09-00-04-59.png
Now scrape back all the paint, primer,and any body filler with a razor. You want to see bare metal.Screenshot_2017-05-09-00-05-16.png
Remove the inner ring of tape.Screenshot_2017-05-09-00-05-29.png Now cut back the masking tape inside the first ring and remove. Screenshot_2017-05-09-00-05-36.png
Now use a scotch Brite pad, and clean up the metal, and scuff the exposed paint.
Now wipe the area with wax&grease remover.

Last edited:

BWG56

Guru
I tried this Ed with the chemical resistant epoxy and 1 month later it was soft like bubble gum and it peeled right off. I left it sit for 3 days before installing the paint savor and I also had it sanded to the metal, and idea's as to what I did wrong?

Iphone2016 205.JPG

PROFLYER

SWOLE
What if I already have a decent sized bubble on the tank below the paint saver? Can I take the saver off and get it to set back down and then do this? It's probably an inch long and maybe an inch wide, triangle shaped, smaller where it ends. It's slowly grown over the last 10 years. It's a very slight bubble you can barely see it.

Mr. Wright

Knows some things
Supporting Member
Thanks, but like Ed is saying, that paint needs to be sealed. I've been using black silicone and it's been working great, no issues with it getting soft, and the 3 I've peeled back off, look good underneath. When I heard about using JB weld, I assumed they were gluing the paint saver in with it, and that would not have been good. Thanks for sharing the proper way to use it, Ed.

airbrush-ed

kustompaintbyed.com
What if I already have a decent sized bubble on the tank below the paint saver? Can I take the saver off and get it to set back down and then do this? It's probably an inch long and maybe an inch wide, triangle shaped, smaller where it ends. It's slowly grown over the last 10 years. It's a very slight bubble you can barely see it.
It depends on if the saver will cover it. And I've also seen guys install a bigger "saver" that they made, to cover damaged areas. Sometimes it's already too far gone.