Floorboards for K9s

Energy One

Clay9

I'm wondering if you need the male adapters and or the extenders to keep the floorboard away from the pipes????

Steven Proctor

I'm wondering if you need the male adapters and or the extenders to keep the floorboard away from the pipes????
Clay9, yes those are the Kinetic Mini boards. I am not sure if the full size will work. I didn't need any extenders. The clevis is a tad larger than the board foot. I had to do make a few adjustments to make it all fit. If you look close I had some inserts made and used some washers to make them fit nicely. The hole inside the foot is slightly larger than the BD foot, so I had to make some inserts for that to fill the gap. I used a fountain pen, cut it to the appropriate length and placed it inside the hole to the foot. I also had to use a gap fill insert for the inside of the clevis. I have extra inserts if you go that route for the clevis. I think they are pretty clean looking.

Clay9

Steven, I went ahead and ordered a pair.....probably should have waited for a response! Ant helpwith making them fit would be appreciated! Fountain pen like a Bic or a bushing? What is a gap fill insert? Thx.

Steven Proctor

Steven, I went ahead and ordered a pair.....probably should have waited for a response! Ant helpwith making them fit would be appreciated! Fountain pen like a Bic or a bushing? What is a gap fill insert? Thx.
Clay9, did you order a set for the front and back? Yes I used a bic pen to fill the gap on the foot that goes into the clevis. I will post a pic of the inserts and washers that I used. You did order the floorboards with the adapter for HD right. I don't remember the measurements for the the hole inside the foot. I basically just got the bic pen, cut it length wise to fill in the gap between the bolt and the hole. I did have to hone out the pen a little. I just did it by hand with a drill bit. You can buy some spacers at Home Depot or Lowe's and hone it out to fit as well. When you get the boards in, shoot me a message and I can walk you through what I did.
IMG_3905.JPG

Clay9

I ordered only one set for the front. I don't expect to have passengers often; so I'll leave the BDM pegs in the rear. I did order the set with the adapter! I would rather have an exact fit bushing for the clevis bolt in lieu of a pen barrel depending on the cost! I'll let you know when I get em'. I could use the advice!! Thanks

Jersey Big Mike

100K mile club
I ordered only one set for the front. I don't expect to have passengers often; so I'll leave the BDM pegs in the rear. I did order the set with the adapter! I would rather have an exact fit bushing for the clevis bolt in lieu of a pen barrel depending on the cost! I'll let you know when I get em'. I could use the advice!! Thanks
Which adapters did you order?
The only adapters I knew of by Suryakyn for Big Dog were the old taper adapters, but when I glanced at the kinetics the other day I thought they used the spline adapter.
Let us know if everything fits right.

Clay9

The previous owner had forward controls put on, but I would like to extend the pegs out to the side a bit in order to get my leg around the large double air intake! Has anyone done this? Also looking for a radical set of mirrors in a large surface area!!

Steven Proctor

Which adapters did you order?
The only adapters I knew of by Suryakyn for Big Dog were the old taper adapters, but when I glanced at the kinetics the other day I thought they used the spline adapter.
Let us know if everything fits right.
For the Kinetic floorboards you can order them with or with out adapters. They do sell the spine style and HD style. I purchased the HD style adapters. They are a little more narrow than the stock BD & HD foot that goes into the clevis. That is why I have the inserts with the washers. (Pictured above.) Once those are in place it fits like a glove. However the inner diameter of the foot (where the bolt goes through) on the kinetic floor board adapter is larger than the BD foot. So that is why you need a "sleeve" to go inside the kinetic foot.

King Lear

Clay9, did you order a set for the front and back? Yes I used a bic pen to fill the gap on the foot that goes into the clevis. I will post a pic of the inserts and washers that I used. You did order the floorboards with the adapter for HD right. I don't remember the measurements for the the hole inside the foot. I basically just got the bic pen, cut it length wise to fill in the gap between the bolt and the hole. I did have to hone out the pen a little. I just did it by hand with a drill bit. You can buy some spacers at Home Depot or Lowe's and hone it out to fit as well. When you get the boards in, shoot me a message and I can walk you through what I did.
View attachment 73155
I just bought the full size floorboards and will have to mock up some adapters like you made. It will be one of my projects this weekend. I thought about welding a nut to the back of the spline adapter to fill the gap to make the boards straight. I mocked it up tonight and they lean too much with all the slack. Although I just used some washers I had lying around. A trip to Lowe's to the fastner section is in my future! Those are just the boards from the JP Cycles page. I will post pics once I get them mounted up.

Kur FB2.jpg

Mr. Wright

Knows some things
Supporting Member
I just bought the full size floorboards and will have to mock up some adapters like you made. It will be one of my projects this weekend. I thought about welding a nut to the back of the spline adapter to fill the gap to make the boards straight. I mocked it up tonight and they lean too much with all the slack. Although I just used some washers I had lying around. A trip to Lowe's to the fastner section is in my future! Those are just the boards from the JP Cycles page. I will post pics once I get them mounted up.

View attachment 78426
Don't do anything unsafe. If you need help machining anything let me know

Clay9

Mr Wright, can you make an adapter that would retrofit any Harley floorboard to fit a K9?? If so, how much would it cost? Maybe you could market them and make a million!!$$$$

mjsk9

I found the Kuryakyn Big Dog adapter #8882 on ebay, im going to go with the Switchblade footpegs. View attachment 78454
Just an FYI.... I had these Kuryakyn Switchblades mounted on my down tubes on the K9 so I could move my legs around a little on longer rides but was a little disappointed since they would "freeze" up due to the ball bearings / springs becoming scarred. Good idea to keep them lubricated and perhaps get a spare set of ball bearings / springs from Kuryakyn.

1602606380509.png

King Lear

Just an FYI.... I had these Kuryakyn Switchblades mounted on my down tubes on the K9 so I could move my legs around a little on longer rides but was a little disappointed since they would "freeze" up due to the ball bearings / springs becoming scarred. Good idea to keep them lubricated and perhaps get a spare set of ball bearings / springs from Kuryakyn.

View attachment 78455
Thanks for the tip! Nice bike!