Engine swap 99 bulldo to 03 mastiff

Top dog

Hi guys i need some help ,id like to swap a 99 bulldog 107 backer trans to a 03 mastiff.i have a inch a quarter gap on primary on engine nothing on ,trans ,.rear wheel and trans belt are perf alighned ,what do i need to bump out drive chains properly ,thx matt

Top dog

Hi guys i need some help ,id like to swap a 99 bulldog 107 backer trans to a 03 mastiff.i have a inch a quarter gap on primary on engine nothing on ,trans ,.rear wheel and trans belt are perf alighned ,what do i need to bump out drive chains properly ,thx matt
20220107_163219.jpg

Top dog

20220107_163249.jpg

Th3InfamousI

Administrator
Staff member
Different Offset, 03 Mastiff would be 1.5" offset you can go the spacer route or the 1.5" Inner Primary. You're going to need 1.5" offset compensator setup too.

Jersey James

Jersey James
Correct me if I'm wrong, but why would you want to swap out a 1999 Baker 5 speed, when the 2003 had a 6 speed??? My 03 Put Bull has a factory Baker 6 speed. Maybe the Mastiff came with a 5 speed, not sure.

Mickmorris

Supporting Member
Correct me if I'm wrong, but why would you want to swap out a 1999 Baker 5 speed, when the 2003 had a 6 speed??? My 03 Put Bull has a factory Baker 6 speed. Maybe the Mastiff came with a 5 speed, not sure.
Actually the older BigDog motorcycles had a Andrews 5 speed. Maybe that’s what he has on that bike.:job:

Mickmorris

Supporting Member

i think it was a mixed bag. My 2000 Vintage Classic came with a Baker 5 speed and has since been upgraded to a Baker 6 speed
That is to funny. I guess back then they just put on whatever was in the next crate! Lol! My 2000 Vintage Sport has a Baker 6 speed also but I have no idea if it was a 5 speed before that. But that bike has loads of upgrades. Do you have the TP engine? Just curious. Great pics your posting btw! :old2: :cheers:

BigDogRick

That is to funny. I guess back then they just put on whatever was in the next crate! Lol! My 2000 Vintage Sport has a Baker 6 speed also but I have no idea if it was a 5 speed before that. But that bike has loads of upgrades. Do you have the TP engine? Just curious. Great pics your posting btw! :old2: :cheers:
Hey Mick, I've got the S&S Sidewinder. interesting story, I had the Baker 5 speed for about five years and at about 45,000 miles had a crazy crack in my frame that developed at the lug where the vertical twin member under the seat, behind the engine meets the top frame at the split around the battery. I had just finished a ride from Michigan to Memphis and back and had hit a bunch of spalled joints in the concrete interstate that jarred my teeth. I got air a couple of times. Any way, got back home and was on my way to bfast on the interstate at 70 mph outside Grand Rapids when the lug let go and my seat lifted about two inches as my shocks expanded. I was about a mile from the exit with the restaurant at the bottom of the ramp. I went in and had with my riding buddies and called Mike at SW V-Twin (BD Dealer and custom shop) and told him what happened. He was there in 45 minutes with his trailer and took it back to the shop aghast! Well, long story short, he got BD to totally cover the frame under warranty and pay him to transfer everything from my old frame to the new. My new frame has a special reinforced lug at that joint now. While we were at it, we determined it was the time to swap out the 5 speed to the six. Mike had just come back from a bike show where he discussed the six speed with Baker and they were telling him about their brand new 6 speed that was geared to 1:1 at sixth instead of less than that for a true overdrive as had been their previous version. They really hyped the 1:1 and that's the way we went. That was late summer 2005..

Mickmorris

Supporting Member
Hey Mick, I've got the S&S Sidewinder. interesting story, I had the Baker 5 speed for about five years and at about 45,000 miles had a crazy crack in my frame that developed at the lug where the vertical twin member under the seat, behind the engine meets the top frame at the split around the battery. I had just finished a ride from Michigan to Memphis and back and had hit a bunch of spalled joints in the concrete interstate that jarred my teeth. I got air a couple of times. Any way, got back home and was on my way to bfast on the interstate at 70 mph outside Grand Rapids when the lug let go and my seat lifted about two inches as my shocks expanded. I was about a mile from the exit with the restaurant at the bottom of the ramp. I went in and had with my riding buddies and called Mike at SW V-Twin (BD Dealer and custom shop) and told him what happened. He was there in 45 minutes with his trailer and took it back to the shop aghast! Well, long story short, he got BD to totally cover the frame under warranty and pay him to transfer everything from my old frame to the new. My new frame has a special reinforced lug at that joint now. While we were at it, we determined it was the time to swap out the 5 speed to the six. Mike had just come back from a bike show where he discussed the six speed with Baker and they were telling him about their brand new 6 speed that was geared to 1:1 at sixth instead of less than that for a true overdrive as had been their previous version. They really hyped the 1:1 and that's the way we went. That was late summer 2005..
Holy smokes! What a ride. Glad you got everything covered & repaired better than original equipment obviously. So funny how the older bikes were just a hodgepodge of different manufacturers put together as best they could to make it work & sell. I like to shit when Knothead told me what was on his ‘96. 4 years made a big difference between his awesome motorcycle & mine. Thank You for sharing this awesome story. This is how us rookies to the amazing BigDog motorcycle learn. Seems you live out west, not sure my old ass will ever make it that far. Arkansas was doable and hope to make it to Dave & Buffys new digs this year. But I will definitely be at Knothead’s in May. Be great to meet you & share these awesome stories! :cheers: :chopper: