EMF Auto Clutch

Energy One

Chumbly

I'm new to this forum so not sure if this is posted in the right place .
I recently installed an EMF auto clutch on my 2009 Yamaha 1300 Tourer. Something doesn't seem right as it vibrates when taking off in 1st gear . It's not real bad, but not good either. It's also hard to shift now and then . I talked to Gary at EMF and he has been real nice but I can't fix the problem . I'm not sure if the clearance between the pressure plate and the clutch plates is correct . He says it should be .055-.060 . I can't figure out how to measure it . His instructions are not the best for a novice. Bike is great on the highway; not so good in town . Anyone have any ideas ??

knothead

Second Chance Customs
Supporting Member
He is talking about with the clutch disengaged measure between them with filler guages and adjust clutch accordingly to right clearance....problem ur having now is they r to tight and they r dragging now...its best to soak ur clutches in the oil that u r going to run in it for like 24 hours....it lets the clutch disk swell with the oil then when u put it together that when u adjust clearances...

TapioK

I'm new to this forum so not sure if this is posted in the right place .
I recently installed an EMF auto clutch on my 2009 Yamaha 1300 Tourer. Something doesn't seem right as it vibrates when taking off in 1st gear . It's not real bad, but not good either. It's also hard to shift now and then . I talked to Gary at EMF and he has been real nice but I can't fix the problem . I'm not sure if the clearance between the pressure plate and the clutch plates is correct . He says it should be .055-.060 . I can't figure out how to measure it . His instructions are not the best for a novice. Bike is great on the highway; not so good in town . Anyone have any ideas ??
My initial thought was the balls don’t move freely on all ramps. Or the unit doesn’t sit straight. Tried lighter spring tension? Or are all the springs the same tension. I’d think even with a bit wrong clearance it should grab evenly. I suppose from your writing it doesn’t slip and starts to pull on right rpm (1500-1800 I assume)? Lighter spring tension and /or too little clearance will move the “pull rpm” lower. You do use clutch lever when sifting gears, right? And the lever is totally sloppy on higher rpm?
Gary is a nice enough guy, but I’m yet to meet anyone who actually figures out what he says. Come to think it, he is bit like me drunk speaking English.
I could see too little clearance causing vibration when starting from stop/idle, if the unit starts to hold on plates before the balls practically move on the ramps at all... by clearance he to my understanding means there has to be certain amount of room between plates and EFM unit when engine is not running, or on idle or the clutch may drag. I suppose his numbers are correct . Did he send you different thickness steels? If yes, you might want to try to swap one steel with slightly thinner. Or even remove one friction plate and add one steel as a first plate in. .. that would reduce the thickness of the pack. Don’t put steel to steel, unless the first ones in. Assuming Yamaha clutch is the way I imagine it to be I’ve never seen one

Chumbly

My initial thought was the balls don’t move freely on all ramps. Or the unit doesn’t sit straight. Tried lighter spring tension? Or are all the springs the same tension. I’d think even with a bit wrong clearance it should grab evenly. I suppose from your writing it doesn’t slip and starts to pull on right rpm (1500-1800 I assume)? Lighter spring tension and /or too little clearance will move the “pull rpm” lower. You do use clutch lever when sifting gears, right? And the lever is totally sloppy on higher rpm?
Gary is a nice enough guy, but I’m yet to meet anyone who actually figures out what he says. Come to think it, he is bit like me drunk speaking English.
I could see too little clearance causing vibration when starting from stop/idle, if the unit starts to hold on plates before the balls practically move on the ramps at all... by clearance he to my understanding means there has to be certain amount of room between plates and EFM unit when engine is not running, or on idle or the clutch may drag. I suppose his numbers are correct
. Did he send you different thickness steels? If yes, you might want to try to swap one steel with slightly thinner. Or even remove one friction plate and add one steel as a first plate in. .. that would reduce the thickness of the pack. Don’t put steel to steel, unless the first ones in. Assuming Yamaha clutch is the way I imagine it to be
I’ve never seen one
Thanks for the info . I forgot to m
I could see too little clearance causing vibration when starting from stop/idle, if the unit starts to hold on plates before the balls practically move on the ramps at all... by clearance he to my understanding means there has to be certain amount of room between plates and EFM unit when engine is not running, or on idle or the clutch may drag. I suppose his numbers are correct . Did he send you different thickness steels? If yes, you might want to try to swap one steel with slightly thinner. Or even remove one friction plate and add one steel as a first plate in. .. that would reduce the thickness of the pack. Don’t put steel to steel, unless the first ones in. Assuming Yamaha clutch is the way I imagine it to be I’ve never seen one
I forgot to mention that there is no clutch lever . I took it right off as I chopped my fingers off last summer with a table saw . Hence, the auto clutch . My bike idles high at 1100 rpm. Clutch begins to kick in at 1400 rpm. He sent different steels. One is thick ( looks like the original thrust washer) and some thin ones . He says they are .010 thickness. I currently have the thick one and 2 thin ones in . I'm thinking of taking out one of the thin ones . Hate to take it apart again as I have done it 4 times already .

TapioK

That is a bit problematic then. EFM pretty much makes clutch to hold until the revs drop to around 1400 in your case... You basically just need to gear up and down adjusting rpms fo syncing with tranny. That’s the reason to have the lever, to drop the rpms to disengage the clutch...

Chumbly

That is a bit problematic then. EFM pretty much makes clutch to hold until the revs drop to around 1400 in your case... You basically just need to gear up and down adjusting rpms fo syncing with tranny. That’s the reason to have the lever, to drop the rpms to disengage the clutch...
Lif

Mr. Wright

Knows some things
Supporting Member
There is only a couple people on here that is running the auto clutch, once you get it going it works great. It was the captain it wild steed worx he has one that's working perfect

TapioK

There is only a couple people on here that is running the auto clutch, once you get it going it works great. It was the captain it wild steed worx he has one that's working perfect
I got mine working pretty good. It just didn’t like open primary and longer road trips. I think the unit just got too hot and started flexing. I know, how does billet aluminum flex, but mine did. I had no problems with dust on balls or actually ramps like some whom had open primary though. Figure that. I did like it and the fact you could easily operate the clutch lever with one finger. Not to mention no clutch take offs.

Chumbly

I hope I can get mine working better . I can't use the clutch lever because I chopped off my fingers with my table saw last summer . That's why I went to the auto clutch .

AnasKJ

I hope I can get mine working better . I can't use the clutch lever because I chopped off my fingers with my table saw last summer . That's why I went to the auto clutch .
Hello Chumbly,

I hope you figured it out by now and can give me a good feedback on it. I am thinking of getting EMF auto clutch installed on my V star 1300. What do you think of it and if you you recommend it, what tips do you have to get it right?

thanks

HMAN

I just like my Freedom
Hello Chumbly,

I hope you figured it out by now and can give me a good feedback on it. I am thinking of getting EMF auto clutch installed on my V star 1300. What do you think of it and if you you recommend it, what tips do you have to get it right?

thanks
You may not get an answer from him as he has not been seen here since 2019. Good luck with your issue. Ya might holler @ TapioK. He has installed one and is still hanging around....sorta. Or, shout out to Curtis @ WSW. Bet he has answers...

Last edited: