EHC replacement

Axel

Hi,

First of all I would like to introduce myself. I´m Axel, and I like my hobby - work at my 2 shovelheads (what is somehow similar to tractor engineering...) However, I developed some electronicboxes for custom bikes (look at www.elektronikbox.de) and I wondering if there is any 1:1 copy of the EHC available? I have read the discussions about the connectors and I know it is a challenge to get a good and reliable connection with the "printer style" connectors. I just got a EHC from a client. He would like to get a new EHC copy with a build in D-Box (http://www.elektronikbox.de/ebox_d_uk.xhtml). I found some similar industry connectors from Molex Does it makes sense to make some more copies of the EHC for other clients as well? What are the main problems of the old EHC module? Every suggestion would help. I don´t want to invent the wheel again...

Thanks a lot in advance for your answers and sorry for my lousy english...

All the best!
Axel

BWG56

Guru
Nice intro:old2:

:hi:welcome from Pa.:hi:

Most of us are replacing the ECH with other systems,an ESC or RIP kits that are available now. The ECH has memory and requires constant tendering, these units that I mentioned are plug n play with their own wiring harness that plugs into the existing wiring throughout the bike. :old2:

francoblay1

The Spaniard
Hi,

First of all I would like to introduce myself. I´m Axel, and I like my hobby - work at my 2 shovelheads (what is somehow similar to tractor engineering...) However, I developed some electronicboxes for custom bikes (look at www.elektronikbox.de) and I wondering if there is any 1:1 copy of the EHC available? I have read the discussions about the connectors and I know it is a challenge to get a good and reliable connection with the "printer style" connectors. I just got a EHC from a client. He would like to get a new EHC copy with a build in D-Box (http://www.elektronikbox.de/ebox_d_uk.xhtml). I found some similar industry connectors from Molex Does it makes sense to make some more copies of the EHC for other clients as well? What are the main problems of the old EHC module? Every suggestion would help. I don´t want to invent the wheel again...

Thanks a lot in advance for your answers and sorry for my lousy english...

All the best!
Axel
Welcome from Spain :cheers:

Check this out: MEMBERS EUROPE

And if you wish to do a proper Introduction: HERE

:old2:

Axel

Hi francoblay1,

Sorry for the very short introducion. Here are a few more facts: I live in North Germany in a small village "Rhade" with more cows than people around. It is still pretty cold and it might be not very funny to ride my Shovelhead at this time. However, it´s the best time to build some funny toys on my bike and I just fix some things on it. One of my other hobbies is playing in a cover rockband (http://hornyboys-rhade.jimdo.com/pix/), bee keeping, scuba diving, wind surfing and jogging. I´m married and have 2 small "terrorists" at home. I run a small electronic company with 4 employers and our main job is beside of some custom made electronic the development and manufacturing of some "toys" for the music business (www.optogate.com) and electronicboxes for custombikes (www.elektronikbox.de). I developed and build for example the smallest flasherrelay on the market (http://www.elektronikbox.de/blink_v2_uk.html). I hope the small introducion is ok :)

All the best!
Axel

Axel

Nice intro:old2:

:hi:welcome from Pa.:hi:

Most of us are replacing the ECH with other systems, an ESC or RIP kits that are available now. The ECH has memory and requires constant tendering, these units that I mentioned are plug n play with their own wiring harness that plugs into the existing wiring throughout the bike. :old2:
Hi BWG56,

Thanks for the info. My first control electronicboxes about 8 years ago also need 12 Volt from the battery in order that they don´t forget the settings. This resulted in almost empty batteries after a few months when the bike was not moved. So, I changed the controller in my boxes to a newer version with EEProm what don´t need 12 Volt anymore for the settings. I´ll take it in mind when I fix the board.

All the best!
Axel

Axel

Hi,

I made some wires on the board within the last days and I think I´ll fix it within next week and can order a sample board. I think I can fix it as 2 layer board with a few additional handwired cables inside, where I´m a bit afraid about the board - d sub connections when it comes to higher currents.

I have add a Highside switch and a transistor with a few parts around for the ignition lock in order to reduce the standby current. The standby current is now about 30 uA (calculated...) what results in a discharge of about 1 Ah in 1388 days. I think this is ok if the practical results on a "living project" will be the same ;-) .

However I wonder about the red marker what are connected to the 12 Volt on Pin B-17 and B-19. I have found one schematic without these connections and some with it. Does it makes sense to connect the 12 Volt to these 2 pins? How is it handled with export models. Are these pins are always connected in the EHC and the importeur just rip the cables to the red marker if necessary?

Does somebody know the currents from pin A-1 to the starter? I have put a 100 Ampere highside switch in the board what might be a bit oversized as there are 40 Ampere highside switches on the market (and in my workshop...) what might can handle the current as well.

Thanks a lot in advance!

All the best!
Axel

Attachments

Axel

Hi,

I made a bit homework last night (...it was just raining and absolute no reason to have a beer somewhere outside) and think the EHC board is ready. I attach the result. I´ll order a few sample boards and setup my pic & place machine within next week ane hope to finish the first test devices in 2 weeks. However, everything is a bit small on the board but there might be no need for additional wires :) . The only thin connection is from the highside switch to the ignition (A-19) what could handle at least 4 ampere with a temperature increase of 60 degree (simulated). I don´t have found any infos about the current to the ignition and hope it is below 4 ampere. I´ll check the temperature increase of the board in a "living object" with the infrared camera, when the first boards are ready. Maybe there is a need for an additional wire. Let´s see, I´ll keep you updated.

All the best!
Axel

www.elektronikbox.de

Attachments

kickstart

Welcome from TN. I can't help much with the electric but I can tell you that I did have a EHC that shut down the bike and had a huge cloud of smoke coming out of it, if I didn't have a 10mm wrench in my vest pocket to disconnect the battery it most likely would have caught on fire.

Last edited: