dyno tune costs?

Bhawkins854

I have just finished building my 117. Port and polish, .060 bigger valves, decked the jugs and heads, comp cams springs, daytona twin tech ignition, 600 cam, quickee push rods, HD lifters and a custom donnie smith 2 into 1 exhaust. Threw in some new jets and tinkered around with my carb. She is running good but seems to be a little choppy on acceleration when I give it a good twist. Anyone know a ballpark price of a good dyno tune job?

Bhawkins854

Now that's just a straight dyno I would assume? No tuning? She needs to get fine tuned. And my s&s manual says to run it for 1000 miles before you can dyno tune..all the mechanics say they go from the bench to the dunk, cuz its worse to run a bike that isn't tuned than to dunk it..makes sense to me

outdoorsman26

its not a lot of tuning if it needs a jet of a A/F screw adjustment, If your motor is broke in and its running then ya go for it but I would take it slow on the first hit!!! main thing it make sure your not runnin lean to start!! you can do that by checkin your plugs

Bhawkins854

I kinda guessed on jet sizes. I'm running a pipe that is much more open than before. My plugs are telling Me I'm running a little lean but I'm using a .084 main jet...I'm not the best with a carb so from the sounds of it. Shouldn't be too much more $ to tune this beast!

outdoorsman26

I would run it down the hwy for 5mi and pull over and check it right awa,y the plugs should have a light brown color to them, that might be why it seems a lil sluggish when you hammer on it!! sounds like its not gettin the fuel it wants

Bhawkins854

I'll have to up the jet to the 86 and see how she acts. I can't believe Im pulling a few miles off this bike in February in Minnesota. I had to run it through a snow bank to get it out of the basement, but you know how it is

john sachs

If you can't get a handle on it, you have 1 of the best, if not THE best tuner in the country in your area. Get hold of Mike Roland at World Class tuning. :2thumbs:
John

outdoorsman26

I'll have to up the jet to the 86 and see how she acts. I can't believe Im pulling a few miles off this bike in February in Minnesota. I had to run it through a snow bank to get it out of the basement, but you know how it is
holy shit man!!! be safe ridin in this cold weather!! its not going to run like it does now in the middle of summer!!! you will be to rich when summer comes!!! ur prolly better off waiting til spring to do a lil ride, then check it!!

Mojo

I agree that you should wait until it warms up. Engines don't like cold air entering them. I agree that it is bad to run an engine that is not tuned properly, but disagree that it's better to "dunk it". There are new parts getting to know each other, and rings trying to seat. It can be tuned for the break-in period without running it hard.

Bhawkins854

Thanks for the info! I'll hold off on driving it until it warms up. I still can't seem to find the issue with popping at the carb. It idles great and runs great when the throttle is rolled, but when you give it a quick snap it pops or wants to die. It has to be my intermediate jet right? My accel. Pump is adjusted right so is my A/F mixture screw, running lean?

Knuckles

Thanks for the info! I'll hold off on driving it until it warms up. I still can't seem to find the issue with popping at the carb. It idles great and runs great when the throttle is rolled, but when you give it a quick snap it pops or wants to die. It has to be my intermediate jet right? My accel. Pump is adjusted right so is my A/F mixture screw, running lean?
Is the accelerator pump squirting fuel or spraying a wide fan of fuel when you twist the throttle? Mine has been hesitating a bit and I checked the other day....it is squirting fuel, but in a stream, not a wide fan of spray.
Need to replace mine soon.

francoblay1

The Spaniard
Hummmm..... interesting reading here....

I am at sea level in the Mediterranean Coast of Spain... right now we are below Zero Celsius (Freezing) my dog does not stop sneezing via the air cleaner... I ve been opening the screw to the max... so far that almost fall out! it does not stop sneezing, but the spark plugs are black as coal. brrrrrr.... I have to open the catb up and find out what intermediate is in there, right?

One more thing..... What about removing that "Auxiliary Bowl Vent Plug" as this manual states if the air filter has been changed??? S&S Cycle | Carb Quick Guide

Bhawkins854

Yep the bowl has to come off to check the int. Jet size. Mine does the same thing, I can turn the A/F mixture screw out until it falls out and then it finally dies. That's a sign of being lean on the int. Is what I've been told.

RON WHITLEY

try a 60 air bleed and a 33 primary might wanna go ahead and install a new accelerator pump and flush out and clean pump passages .if its been a while those passages clogg and the pumps get weak just went through this on a friends bike ,just trying to help have a good day

francoblay1

The Spaniard
try a 60 air bleed and a 33 primary might wanna go ahead and install a new accelerator pump and flush out and clean pump passages .if its been a while those passages clogg and the pumps get weak just went through this on a friends bike ,just trying to help have a good day
Ron, this thread is from early 2012!!! :oldsmile:

RON WHITLEY

that's funny it was late and I didn't even look at the date thanks ,you know how those late nights get guess I just clicked on the wrong post .yall better watch me I like to talk I will be trying to talk to people that don't exist anymore.