Dyno Numbers

Energy One

Raywood

The Pirate
Staff member
Calendar Participant
Troop Supporter
Raywood, dude - you're spreading bad rumors about the D&M's. The filter on my spike is just as open to the air as yours is. The only place the filter media contacts the chrome spike holder is at the front and rear plates. Where the gaps are (the right arrow), there is a 1/4 inch gap between the filter material and the chrome holder - plenty of room for unrestricted air flow.

If there was such a huge difference in breathability, it must have been something else, like maybe your filter is larger overall, or made from less restrictive material. Peace - out.

There you go catching me putting my foot in my mouth. :eek: I shouldn't have answered the question that was posed to me having not had any real experience with the D&M.

Sorry,
Ray

Sparks

Chopper Junkie!
I may be lucky but with my 2003 107ci chopper with a xxx full mod carb, 600 cam and the Hooker 4Bidden pipes I'm pushing 109.2 HP and 120 lbs tourque. My tuner said because it was cold "Feb 2007 in Reno" and that summer temps (Normal peoples riding weather) will differ I could need adjustment to get even better numbers, I could tweak it a bit more to realy fine tune it but I ride year round so cold numbers are good by me.

117bigdog

Bring It!
I had one of those spike air cleaners on my 05 chopper. I lost allot of H.P. It had a K&N in the spike. Now I have the stock air box with a K&N installed. Anyone know of a better breathing set up?

slowrower

2007 Mastiff
I had one of those spike air cleaners on my 05 chopper. I lost allot of H.P. It had a K&N in the spike. Now I have the stock air box with a K&N installed. Anyone know of a better breathing set up?
I have the same, stock airbox with K&N filter .. works for me.

117bigdog

Bring It!
I was going to try a velocity stack ( I think thats what it is called) to see if it makes more power, but i heard they run shitty midrange.

Black Dawg

I'm using the stock box with the S&S Big filter (1" taller) and it made a noticable difference. My bike has the 600 cam, zero deck and stock mufflers. (RB Racing pipe on the way).

I was reading an article somewhere and the stock size filter only flows in the mid 200 cfm range (note: K&N filters do not flow significantly more than stock paper filters, they just flow more conisistently as they get dirty). According to the article, a 117ci motor needs about 310 cfm. The S&S big filter flows 325 cfm.

Vegas

I'm using the stock box with the S&S Big filter (1" taller) and it made a noticable difference. My bike has the 600 cam, zero deck and stock mufflers. (RB Racing pipe on the way).

I was reading an article somewhere and the stock size filter only flows in the mid 200 cfm range (note: K&N filters do not flow significantly more than stock paper filters, they just flow more conisistently as they get dirty). According to the article, a 117ci motor needs about 310 cfm. The S&S big filter flows 325 cfm.
I think we discussed that on the other site. That may be the reason for my rich condition above 4500 rpms was running out of air. I am going to get back out there and will pull the air cleaner off to verify.

Black Dawg

I think we discussed that on the other site. That may be the reason for my rich condition above 4500 rpms was running out of air. I am going to get back out there and will pull the air cleaner off to verify.
I'm convinced that was a major factor. A vaccuum guage would show any restrictions thru the aircleaner. With high vaccuum at WOT the engine would really be pulling more fuel thru the main jet as it starved for additional air. That would cause a major rich condition to occur.

Black Dawg

Thanks, Dawg - I thought there was some issue with valve float at high RPM unless you used stiffer springs - apparently not a problem on yours...?
No valve float. The 07 carb bikes (for whatever reason) have a heavy duty dual spring from the factory and .600 lift is no problem. These dual springs have the same red stripe as do the triple springs (.640 lift). I have no idea why they don't have the 3rd spring (pure speculation, but the added seat pressure with the 3rd spring was probably considered overkill with the stock low lift cam). AFAIK, the FI bikes come with the single beehive spring ("Sidewinder" spring, which is rated to only .585 lift). I'd only change springs if my cam lift exceeded .600. FWIW, my machinist (who has decades of experience with these engines) confirmed my stock springs would be fine.

P8RIOT

Calendar Participant
That sounds like good news. I visited the factory in Feb '07 when they were assembling my bike, and I took this pic of a pile of heads. Does this look like the same spring you are talking about? For some reason it caused a big flurry of concern on the other site when I posted it awhile back. Thx.

Black Dawg

Those heads you took a picture of are for the fuel injected engines (Bull Dog) and have the Sidewinder single beehive springs. Your bike didn't come from the factory with diamond cut heads, did it?

The springs on our bikes are easily recognized by the red stripe and valve spring retainers that are drilled with lightening holes.

P8RIOT

Calendar Participant
Ahhhh, that explains a lot - I think people were assuming those were the springs going into all the heads at that time.

Black Dawg

Easiest way to know for sure is just pull your top valve cover off and take a peek. Look for drilled retainers and a red stripe on the springs.

P8RIOT

Calendar Participant
Yeah, my bike does have the diamond cut heads - they had just started putting them on others besides the Bull Dog - easy enough to just take a peak to find out for sure what springs I have - installing the 600 cam sounds like a nice winter project. Thx.

hoat

make sure when you take off the valve cover to remove all of the thread sealer on the screws and make sure to clean the holes out so you don't have any problems :zz2cents: