Drive belt rubs

Energy One

05chop

in the vframe like sul said there is i 3/8 threaded hole.inside the hole is a allen headed set screw.in the pic its the black hole just to the rite of the brake caliper?not a good pic but it close.

F_HEAD

luv2ride
Thanks. Your license plate frame is like a fucking mirror. I have some polishing to do to keep up. :2thumbs:

F_HEAD

luv2ride
The bulldog does not have a V-frame style. Anyway, I made a mistake when I had it on the jack. I was turning the wheel backwards and that is when the belt walks over to the frame. Going forward, it goes away from the frame. Live and learn.

BBChopper

Supports 2 Disabled Vets
Troop Supporter
How is it tracking in the front sprocket? Is to the outside? If so you may have an alignment issue with the rear wheel or the motor trans and rear wheel.:rolleyes:

F_HEAD

luv2ride
Should it be in the middle of front sprocket? On the rear sprocket, it is all the way to 1 side, though there is very little gap on the other side. Would I loosen tranny to adjust that?

Raywood

The Pirate
Staff member
Calendar Participant
Troop Supporter
If your bike is in the shop you should have them laser line it. Most shops have them now. But, both sprockets should be parallel to each other and the belt should ride without excessive rubbing on the sides.
You really can't move the tranny since it's locked to the primary that is locked to the motor........
You can lift it some though with shims and BDM has a procedure for this.

But I would have the shop check it just to be safe. It will cut down wear on the belt and sprockets.

later,
Ray

Gas Man

Cool isn't cheap
Calendar Participant
Ray could a guy use a laser level to do the same thing... as long as the laser hits the say...right side of both pulleys... it would be lined up right?

Slow Vince

Belt Adjustment

...when I had it on the jack. I was turning the wheel backwards and that is when the belt walks over to the frame. Going forward, it goes away from the frame. Live and learn.
Learn to Live?
;^}
Anyhow, maybe think simpler before aligning the tranny?

I've been able to pretty much center the belt by tweaking the rear axle adjusting screws.

In both directions; kind of a balancing act. But pay more attention that the belt doesn't wander "hard" when rotating the wheel in the forward rotation.

Some advise to measure to reference points, or count the number of turns on the adjusting screws, etc. But the above gives better results for me.

Never tried laser level, will have to look into that.

I'm still in the Dogs an' Hogs mode of thinking... Crap, do the Dogs even have an adjusting screw on each side? Too late, too tired to get out the service manual an' do my homework before opening mouth.

BBChopper

Supports 2 Disabled Vets
Troop Supporter
Should it be in the middle of front sprocket? On the rear sprocket, it is all the way to 1 side, though there is very little gap on the other side. Would I loosen tranny to adjust that?
If it’s all da way to one side dats bad!! Get err looked at. Ray is right!!!!

BBChopper

Supports 2 Disabled Vets
Troop Supporter
If your bike is in the shop you should have them laser line it. Most shops have them now. But, both sprockets should be parallel to each other and the belt should ride without excessive rubbing on the sides.
You really can't move the tranny since it's locked to the primary that is locked to the motor........
You can lift it some though with shims and BDM has a procedure for this.

But I would have the shop check it just to be safe. It will cut down wear on the belt and sprockets.

later,
Ray
I fixed mine but you dunn wana no howell!!! We aint got nun uv dos lazer tingies here in Fellsmere!!!!:roll:
Dont fuck with it if you never turned a wrench for money B4......:eek:

mike757

I fixed mine but you dunn wana no howell!!! We aint got nun uv dos lazer tingies here in Fellsmere!!!!:roll:
Dont fuck with it if you never turned a wrench for money B4......:eek:
heres what i did , take a coat hanger open it up all the way cut off the hook so you have a strait piece of wire. make a 2inch bend in the one end at 90 degrees, take a small tie wrap and tighten it around the wire at the other end ,remove the axel cover revealing the axel bolt, now take the hook part that you bent 90 degrees and insert it in the allen head recess hole where the swing arm bolt holds the swing arm on, take the wire coat hanger with the tie wrap and slide the tie wrap and hold it to the rear axel bolt untill it centers in the middle of the axel bolt,adjust rear axel untill both sides are equal with out moving the tie wrap, check belt tension in the process.

bdmridgeback

Low Down Chop Shop
Just don't use the reverse gear and you'll be OK!!

The bulldog does not have a V-frame style. Anyway, I made a mistake when I had it on the jack. I was turning the wheel backwards and that is when the belt walks over to the frame. Going forward, it goes away from the frame. Live and learn.

Gas Man

Cool isn't cheap
Calendar Participant
heres what i did , take a coat hanger open it up all the way cut off the hook so you have a strait piece of wire. make a 2inch bend in the one end at 90 degrees, take a small tie wrap and tighten it around the wire at the other end ,remove the axel cover revealing the axel bolt, now take the hook part that you bent 90 degrees and insert it in the allen head recess hole where the swing arm bolt holds the swing arm on, take the wire coat hanger with the tie wrap and slide the tie wrap and hold it to the rear axel bolt untill it centers in the middle of the axel bolt,adjust rear axel untill both sides are equal with out moving the tie wrap, check belt tension in the process.
That's a great first post and a great idea!! TNX & Welcome!