Compression releases

Energy One

roentgenslave

I have a 2001 Prosport, and I'm going to install compression releases for a (hopefully) easier start. Has anyone else done this? Any downsides to such a plan?

woodbutcher

Mr. Old Fart member #145
Staff member
sure someone will chime in but you will get more of a response if you go to the intro section and let us know something about yourself. BE POLITE!!!!

CCRainman

The comp release will definately help the bike start easier, but a good battery with high cca is the best. I have an 03 no comp release and the bike starts fine in all temps. I don't even use the enrichner when it's cold out. Just 3 twist of the throttle and fire away.

LDO

The Cleaner
Troop Supporter
I have a 2001 Prosport, and I'm going to install compression releases for a (hopefully) easier start. Has anyone else done this? Any downsides to such a plan?
You gotta make sure your heads are drilled for them first. You will know because there will be a big bolt (plug) screwed in where they go. I installed them in my 03 and my bike starts alot easier now and doesn't get 'hung' on the compression stroke.

Here's my thread on it.
http://www.bigdogbiker.com/forums/customizing-add-ons/10166-ldos-florida-winter-mods-3.html

Good luck!
You need any more help, shoot me a PM.:2thumbs:

Raywood

The Pirate
Staff member
Calendar Participant
Troop Supporter
I don't think the 01's had the rockers with the hole in them!! :rant:

May not work for you unless you pull the heads and install the manual releases.

But in the mean time keep a good fresh strong battery in and keep it on a tender and you should be ok!!!

:2thumbs:

danosrs

No compression releases for me! Spike 1.4 Kw starter, 310cca Interstate battery and soldered ends pos and neg cables solved all my problems!!

roentgenslave

Thanks for the comments,but..

..I obviously disturbed someones' delicate sense of decorum, with an unauthorized posting. I had mistakenly thought that this was a site for bikers. So you can go back to your tea party, and I won't return to "your" site again.

DRBarnhart

Insert title here...
..I obviously disturbed someones' delicate sense of decorum, with an unauthorized posting. I had mistakenly thought that this was a site for bikers. So you can go back to your tea party, and I won't return to "your" site again.
Come on now, don't be that way... :down:

He was only making a request that you introduce yourself to us! :hi:

Dennis

LDO

The Cleaner
Troop Supporter
Go to any forum on the internet, it has an intro section where you post for the 1st time.

Many forums won't allow you to post anywhere else on the forum until you have posted in the intro section and several others won't allow you to post pics or access the gallery until you have completed a certain number of posts.

I understand that not everyone may be familiar with some of the unwritten protocols involved in the web world. No biggie at all!:2thumbs:

At BDB, all we ask here is that you post in the intro section a little about yourself, your bike and maybe some pics of it.

Sure, the membership may make a comment about the lack of an intro, but most of the time, it's not that strictly enforced and if it is help you need, it will still be provided as was the case here.

Everyone that posted after you, was trying to offer assistance in some way, whether bike or forum related.

Wood is not out of line in any way asking for an intro.

Good luck getting your bike fixed. Hope you get it worked out and I hope you reconsider sticking around.

LDO sends...

Doug G

LDO,

As always, your the voice of reason, its a good thing your here to keep things calm and orderly!

2000bigdog

i have a 2000 vintage sport and the heads were not drilled for compression releases. So i bought a set of electronic compression releases and now they just sit in the garage. My bike is equipped with the TP 107" and i had problems with starting the bike in the beginning but after a good battery and rebuilt the starter with a new starter clutch the bike starts up just fine, gets hung up on the compression stroke once in awhile. just hit the button again and the bike turns over and with my engine being a TP, big dog used a TP engine with S&S heads and S&S rocker covers. So i went round and round between S&S and TP and in the end i could not use the compression releases.

stlmikie

I wish I had more money.
Well that stinks. What are you going to do with the equipment that you have now?

i have a 2000 vintage sport and the heads were not drilled for compression releases. So i bought a set of electronic compression releases and now they just sit in the garage. My bike is equipped with the TP 107" and i had problems with starting the bike in the beginning but after a good battery and rebuilt the starter with a new starter clutch the bike starts up just fine, gets hung up on the compression stroke once in awhile. just hit the button again and the bike turns over and with my engine being a TP, big dog used a TP engine with S&S heads and S&S rocker covers. So i went round and round between S&S and TP and in the end i could not use the compression releases.

RCAdd1ct

JAFO
I know everybody wants the electric version, but I might offer the manual version if they electric ones don't fit.

Go here:
Comp Releases

I can vouch for these. They are better than the ones that come on my screaming eagle heads and WAY better than the high performance ones (junk!) JP cycles sold me.

The Woods versions allow the largest airflow. With a big engine, this is what you need.

Moespeeds

Can't you just drill the heads right next to the spark plugs and install manuals?

Not to be a dick, but I never understood the whole intro thing either. I'm here to talk bikes, not looking for a date! Does anyone read that section?? I think the map is the most useful tool, it helps you find guys in your area without having to weed through 2000 intro posts.

john sachs

FWIW,
You need to be extremely careful drilling for that type of manual compression release.The combustion chamber area of S&S heads are a lot different than stock Harley heads,and most after market heads.A lot less material is involved to work with.:down:
Trying to install S&S electric or S&S manual is next to impossible.:(
Woods look like AV-V releases(Goodson sells them).
John

2000bigdog

Well that stinks. What are you going to do with the equipment that you have now?
The electronic compression releases are just setting in the garage collection dust. Tried sellin them on EBAY and no one wanted them. So im stuck with them. Sucks but i learned my lesson to double check and triple check before you buy