Clutch is done - Bandit Bruiser recommended ?

Energy One

Brent Herridge

During our nice ride Sunday, I noticed some weird noises in the clutch/trans area, but thankfully we (wife and I trying out new seat) made it home fine.

The shop had adjusted my clutch last week as a favor, so I called right after I picked it up and told them the adjustment had gone the wrong way.

So I dropped it off between rain Tuesday night. They stayed late and then yesterday I went to by see the damage. Probably a familiar story for the experienced, but the carrier had weakened and the bearing was bad. Friction plates were not worn (10K miles) but still pretty bad carnage. Even the inside of the primary cover has marks.

Research in the archives showed the Bandit Bruiser has been popular ? The guy at my shop has a Ridgeback, and had already put one in his and he recommended it as well.

Any other advice or recommendations ?

IMG_20190501_175641_small.JPG IMG_20190501_175647_small.JPG IMG_20190501_175652_small.JPG

TapioK

Never tried bandit, but would I change clutch, I’d try to make sure the operation of the clutch would not come any heavier. Stupid heavy lever is pain in the ass in traffic .

Badpit

That or get the new baker unit. It is way better than the original.
The only thing different is it’s billet not cast, no performance will be noticed it was never updated just not cast anymore since BDM wasn’t placing new orders using billet is more cost effective and the cast ones only bust due to a loosening clutch hub but

SKOGDOG

One of the old ones.
Lifetime Supporting Member
Supporting Member
I broke an OEM cast clutch carrier (@ about 60,000 miles) while in Myrtle Beach a couple of years ago, and had to hobble it all the way back to KS.
8EBB9E89-F291-42E0-B89D-188197A0671B.jpeg
Had a spare OEM carrier (free) so I used that one hoping for another 60K miles. I’d recommend billet carrier and the Bandit Bruiser, altho a lot of guys like the Baker too.
That bike had a 585 cam and Thunderheart ignition set to 30 before TDC which was a bit much for the stock clutch—It slipped some thru hard accel in 2nd and 3rd where it really torqued. But when riding sensibly it did OK. No issues after installing the Bandit...very strong.

Brent Herridge

I spoke to Bandit. Clutch pull supposed to reduce from 22 lbs to 12 .however they recommended using 2 of possible 5 shims to avoid slippage, but hopefully still much easier clutch pull.

I'm also really looking forward to that since I'll have to shell she the $600 price anyway .

TapioK

I spoke to Bandit. Clutch pull supposed to reduce from 22 lbs to 12 .however they recommended using 2 of possible 5 shims to avoid slippage, but hopefully still much easier clutch pull.

I'm also really looking forward to that since I'll have to shell she the $600 price anyway .
Half the pull that is a great sales pitch

Brent Herridge

Bearing and/or carrier broken, so the whole clutch was wobbling. You can see it wobbled enough to gouge the primary cover. Shop told me they were going to test tranny main shaft to verify it wasn't bent.

I sure hope not.........I'm reasonably sure Sunday's 220 miles was all it ran with the problem.......and I bet Baker is even more proud of their parts than they are of entire transmissions.

Jwooky

Bearing and/or carrier?

That sounds like It’s still in question.

It should be obvious and explicit.

Brent Herridge

After all this time, I am finally back on the road. 2 weeks ago I thought it was fixed but it was CRAZY difficult to pull when I picked it up. I was still in the shop testing it standing still and the cable snapped.

It was a bad cable the factory replaced. It took another 2 weeks but I had it back on the road yesterday.

With the recommended shims, I'd say clutch pull was roughly the same. It was way different from the bad cable, but about back to original.

It didn't slip and generally worked well. I had lots of shifting and even a spell of stop and go traffic jam and neutral was very reliable. That was a definite improvement.

Just go to the web site. There's only one Big Dog Bruiser. It's specifically made as a big dog replacement. Just call to see if that also holds for your bike.

Brent Herridge

Clutch was OK during 1600 miles to The Gathering, but it repeatedly misses the shift into 3rd gear. Once it even popped out after successfully shifting into 3rd. That seems to be the only gear affected.

Any ideas ?

Th3InfamousI

Administrator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Clutch was OK during 1600 miles to The Gathering, but it repeatedly misses the shift into 3rd gear. Once it even popped out after successfully shifting into 3rd. That seems to be the only gear affected.

Any ideas ?
Hey Brent, what's the story on this? Did you get the bike back from the shop yet?

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk

Brent Herridge

As embarrassing as it is.........still in the shop. I hope to have it back next week.

Yes.......I know........this is ridiculous.

FYI - compressor for air ride also needed replacing, plus correct front tire and new final drive belt.

Th3InfamousI

Administrator
Staff member
Supporting Member
As embarrassing as it is.........still in the shop. I hope to have it back next week.

Yes.......I know........this is ridiculous.

FYI - compressor for air ride also needed replacing, plus correct front tire and new final drive belt.
What was the problem with it popping out of gear? Or still hasn't tackled it all yet?