Cheap ignition factory plug bypassed

Energy One

G. Stone

Hi looking for some help on my 05 ridgeback. Bought the bike it had the wire plus in it. And a cheap ignition with the key falling out so i ordered a replacement from hdm. Then i pulled the ignition bracket off and found the factory ignition plug just dangling behind it. Looks like it has been bypassed.
there is a red constant power wire on one terminal of ignition and a blue with red stripe and a white wire on other terminal of the ignition. I traced them back to a main grey harness plug. My question is how can i get it back to using factory ignition that i ordered anyone know where to put the wires back to factory connection that are currently connected to cheap two terminal ignition. So i can use the factory ignition plug again

Attachments

knothead

Second Chance Customs
Supporting Member
The cheap key switch you are talking about is a sportster key switch which came with the wireplus kit...its just a key switch that you can buy at autozone or some where like that....if your bike still has the wireplus on it , which by what i read it does, then you still need to run that style sportster key switch....when your wireplus system finally dies then you can use the key switch you just bought from hdm because your going to have to change the backbone harness and all that stuff to put the bike back to the original wiring to run the newest and best system once your wireplus finally dies

G. Stone

Not sure if it’s even from a sportster will attach a pic. So the wires plus kit won’t allow the use of factory ignition plug. Only place i found an ignition like the current one is on amazon and it’s cheap china junk. Maybe ill look into a sportster ignition. And once wireplus dies I’ll buy an rip kit I guess.

Attachments

G. Stone

If i could get my hands on a wiresplus install wire schematic i would be able to tell if someone just bypassed factory ingnition and if so where the blue with red wire white wire and red wire should go

Jersey Big Mike

100K mile club
If i could get my hands on a wiresplus install wire schematic i would be able to tell if someone just bypassed factory ingnition and if so where the blue with red wire white wire and red wire should go
The wiresplus REQUIRED that the stock switch be replaced as the current going thru the switch for the WiresPLus was more than the stock switch could handle. See attached installation files.

Get a sportster or similar switch (tractor)

When the WP goes you'll likely need to replace the wiring harness completely because of the way the wires get cut up in the WP install.

Attachments

Th3InfamousI

Administrator
Staff member
FWIW, I ran the HDM switch with the Wires Plus with zero issues. When the WP died, I put in the Electronix EHC from WSW.
Yea you had a relay installed to maintain the factory switch. I did the same back in those days (around 2011), which worked out well because with the sportster switch you had to bore out the coil cover as it's wider and then the original switch no longer fits.

The wiresplus REQUIRED that the stock switch be replaced as the current going thru the switch for the WiresPLus was more than the stock switch could handle. See attached installation files.

Get a sportster or similar switch (tractor)

When the WP goes you'll likely need to replace the wiring harness completely because of the way the wires get cut up in the WP install.
See above, he could install a relay to use the switch but if the coil cover was bored out might as well grab any old switch just to get him by.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

G. Stone

Yeah I’m not going to bore out my coil cover. I ordered a replacement switch thats the same size as what was in it. When i looked up the sportster switch it looked to big to fit but ordered it anyway just to see. It was only $20 so no big deal will just keep it and if the cheap one fails again I’ll reconsider boring. But I appreciate all you guys and the help/info provided. Guess i will just deal with it until wireplus shits the bed.

Jersey Big Mike

100K mile club
Yea you had a relay installed to maintain the factory switch. I did the same back in those days (around 2011), which worked out well because with the sportster switch you had to bore out the coil cover as it's wider and then the original switch no longer fits.

See above, he could install a relay to use the switch but if the coil cover was bored out might as well grab any old switch just to get him by.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
Relay is always a choice, but I'd go with a SSR (solid state relay) if I were doing it.
Might add one to my K-9 so I have switched power for accessories easily.