Carb adjustment still not right

Energy One

Brent Herridge

I've had my shop supposedly adjust the carb twice, but nothing is changing.

Symptoms:

1. when cruising at a constant speed (3rd gear and up), suddenly cracking open the throttle creates a momentary miss/sputter before accelerating.
2. when climbing a long hill in 6th gear, it'll start to cough and miss. Accelerating gets it back, but if I let off and stay at a constant throttle position, it starts missing again.
3. Today, it even sputtered when leaving the line in 1st gear intermittently.

I suspect accelerator pump for #1, and possibly lean jetting for #2. Three just started, so hard to say.

I suspected debris in gas tank so I installed an inline filter long time back, and it is clean.

I recently switched the air cleaner to the 2-inlet style from the single inlet. But the bike had twin inlet when I got it, so I presumed any carb changes would've been done then, but I guess you never know.......

ideas ?

Twin inlet air cleaner:

IMG_20190426_184349_small.JPG

Th3InfamousI

Administrator
Staff member
Give it a quarter counter clockwise turn on the accelerator pump for #1. Might fix #3 too.

#2 unless your climbing the long hill at 90mph you really should be in 5th not 6th. 6th is just an overdrive, I very rarely touch 6th unless I'm on an interstate and only 80mph+

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk

41bigdawg

Let the Big Dawg eat !
Supporting Member
Check at see which air bleed jet you have....I put a 60 in mine and it runs great with a dual runner.

knothead

Second Chance Customs
Supporting Member
I agree with the Infamous....its summer time and hot as hell so u need less fuel...sudden stab of the throttle and to much fuel will make it do what it is doing...if ur going to run that much fuel u have to be at a higher rpm before u stab on it...

marky-marc is right also....got to know where ur at to fine tune it....i left my bolt vent in but only reason i did is because i machined the slot, on the s&s twin air, over to the air vent on the carb so it woukd be back to normal without removing the vent...u can do either one but the vent screw is easier to remove than do what i did machining wise

Brent Herridge

Thanks for the info.

I'll probably have to wait till the weekend to do more, but just verified accelerator adj. screw is 5 1/2 turns out. I presume from the instructions that further out pumps more gas ?

As for the hill in 6th, it's definitely not lugging. Agreed you don't need 6th for anything but open highway, but that's the only time this is happening. Speeds 75+. Lugging is bad, but it's definitely different than missing.

knothead

Second Chance Customs
Supporting Member
Yes you are correct the further out more fuel....screwed all the way in shut the accelerator pump off...need to screw it all the way in and crack the throttle and start backing it out a 1/4 turn at a time until the motor responds clear with no stumble or hesitation...just find the happy medium

Th3InfamousI

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for the info.

I'll probably have to wait till the weekend to do more, but just verified accelerator adj. screw is 5 1/2 turns out. I presume from the instructions that further out pumps more gas ?

As for the hill in 6th, it's definitely not lugging. Agreed you don't need 6th for anything but open highway, but that's the only time this is happening. Speeds 75+. Lugging is bad, but it's definitely different than missing.
Need to dig in and find out what jets you got then. Might just need to go up one on the intermediate jet.

Brent Herridge

50 to 70 mph in 3rd gear ? Who has gone 70 mph in 3rd gear ? I haven't done the math but I think you'd be well past redline. Surely that is a typo in that article.

Sven

Pull plugs. What are the colors:
1. Tan-dry.
2. Black-soot.
3. White porcelain tip.

1. Looks normal. Change plugs.
2. Runs rich - Sputters as mentioned.
3. White says lean so as it sputters, pull the choke and see if it clears = Jet change.

Say it does not sputter when cold as in the morning. It's condensed air so gas pops to the next molecule as in 'bump-bump-nudge-nudge-know what I mean?'

Say it's a heat wave and the air expands so it's harder for the flame to bump-bump-know what I mean?

aspen874

I've had my shop supposedly adjust the carb twice, but nothing is changing.

Symptoms:

1. when cruising at a constant speed (3rd gear and up), suddenly cracking open the throttle creates a momentary miss/sputter before accelerating.
2. when climbing a long hill in 6th gear, it'll start to cough and miss. Accelerating gets it back, but if I let off and stay at a constant throttle position, it starts missing again.
3. Today, it even sputtered when leaving the line in 1st gear intermittently.

I suspect accelerator pump for #1, and possibly lean jetting for #2. Three just started, so hard to say.

I suspected debris in gas tank so I installed an inline filter long time back, and it is clean.

I recently switched the air cleaner to the 2-inlet style from the single inlet. But the bike had twin inlet when I got it, so I presumed any carb changes would've been done then, but I guess you never know.......

ideas ?

Twin inlet air cleaner

Several members here including myself had similar issues with the spike air cleaners, others have not. I had very similar problems with the spike air intakes, once I switched to a dual runner that solved the problem.

Brent Herridge

I took the double-intake air cleaner off tonight............man.......was I disappointed. Filter was filthy and the only gaskets were the shreds that have now been taken on and off a few times. And it wasn't even tightened !!! I can see why, but I'm really irate.

I won't be able to find another gasket in 1 day. Silicone should be OK as a gasket won't it ?

Do y'all LockTite everything all the time ?

You could clean the air filter by simply removing the tiny screws that hold it to the tube, so in theory the main tube won't have to come off the carb again.

knothead

Second Chance Customs
Supporting Member
I wouldnt silicone it....surely that bike shop u been dealing with has a gasket....if your gasket isnt torn i would reuse it ...honestly ive never replaced them unless they are torn....you can use blue loctite on the screws but not alot just a little be fine

Th3InfamousI

Administrator
Staff member
I took the double-intake air cleaner off tonight............man.......was I disappointed. Filter was filthy and the only gaskets were the shreds that have now been taken on and off a few times. And it wasn't even tightened !!! I can see why, but I'm really irate.

I won't be able to find another gasket in 1 day. Silicone should be OK as a gasket won't it ?

Do y'all LockTite everything all the time ?

You could clean the air filter by simply removing the tiny screws that hold it to the tube, so in theory the main tube won't have to come off the carb again.
Silicone? You fixing a bath tub?

No don't use that don't want shit getting sucked into your motor, and next time you have it off you'll have to clean the hell out of it to get that silicone off and the proper gasket to sit.

Patience! Do it right, or you'll be back to where you already are. These bikes require patience, a lot of us have learned the hard way or some just never did and sold it.

What intake is that anyways? Made by who?