Bulldog Bagger

Cruz Dog

Hello everyone it’s been a while since I posted anything. As some of ya may recall I’m putting Harley bags on my bulldog, and let me tell you it’s been a PITA. It’s coming along should be in the paint shop hopefully next week. Those of ya that have a bulldog Bagger and those of ya that may know. My fairing is rubbing on the gas tank have any of you experienced this? It seems like it always has made minor contact but here lately seems like it’s been running more it’s actually marking on the tank. I’d like to try and correct this before I paint. Any help is appreciated. Here is some pics of the fender and bags. Well the earlier stage it has now been grinded and slots for lights been cut out I’m sure it could of been done better but it is what it is my fab guy is pretty good just didn’t have and English wheel to roll it better. Any advise and comments welcomed. Positive or negative lol. I’ll take them
Thanks

Attachments

Jwooky

Bags/fender looking good. Since you asked, I don't mind the fender being kind flat, it matches the bags. If it were me, I would contour the lower edge a little. Just a simple example, so its not so straight along the bottom

upload_2019-5-8_9-27-32.png

Jwooky

Also, you guys may want to check you neck bearing to see if that's why the fearing rubs.

Or perhaps the fairing attachments.

Cruz Dog

Thanks J I like that idea of lower edge. I’ll check neck bearings cus I have noticed it’s rubbing more. Wasn’t to worried since it’s gonna get a new paint job. I’m gonna see if I can some side covers made.

woodbutcher

Mr. Old Fart member #145
Staff member
as the neck bearings wear, that would allow the angle of the forks to change slightly, bringing the bars closer to the tank. if the fairing is mounted to the bars, would also bring the fairing closer to the tank. makes sense to me.:2cents:

TapioK

Not my area of expertise, but I would think if neck bearing is so worn/broken it would let fairing/ forks to move considerably amount, you’d notice a bigger problem than fairing touching the tank. Like the whole side of the bike touching ground?

aspen874

Mine is the same Cruz's, the fairing will touch the tank on the right side when on the jack. Everything appears to be tight, the bike rides ok, but the front end is considerably looser than my Mastiff.

Th3InfamousI

Administrator
Staff member
Not my area of expertise, but I would think if neck bearing is so worn/broken it would let fairing/ forks to move considerably amount, you’d notice a bigger problem than fairing touching the tank. Like the whole side of the bike touching ground?
agreed, unless the entire nut is missing and the person still road it! which I have heard has happened before! Haha

Can't imagine it would ever be worn or loose enough get it to move more than 1/8th inch which I don't think would cause the rub.

The one thing about fiberglass is over time it will change shape. My fiberglass fender on my 04 rigid widened at the bottom over the years and more on side vs the other. I think just wind/rain and temperature changes over the years makes fiberglass expand and contract enough to probably cause a rub especially on a windscreen. My fender looks lopsided enough to me I had a steel fender painted that I still need to get my hands on!

Which reminds me....

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk

TapioK

Mine is the same Cruz's, the fairing will touch the tank on the right side when on the jack. Everything appears to be tight, the bike rides ok, but the front end is considerably looser than my Mastiff.
You say either the frame flexes or front suspension moves if you lift the bike from middle of the frame? I would sell the bike as soon as possible or fix the broken frame. Selling is a bit problematic if you know frame or neck is broken..... “liability...

TapioK

agreed, unless the entire nut is missing and the person still road it! which I have heard has happened before! Haha

Can't imagine it would ever be worn or loose enough get it to move more than 1/8th inch which I don't think would cause the rub.

The one thing about fiberglass is over time it will change shape. My fiberglass fender on my 04 rigid widened at the bottom over the years and more on side vs the other. I think just wind/rain and temperature changes over the years makes fiberglass expand and contract enough to probably cause a rub especially on a windscreen. My fender looks lopsided enough to me I had a steel fender painted that I still need to get my hands on!

Which reminds me....

⅛” on the neck is huge.than would mean the rake on triple tree is +- 5 degrees I suppose.

Th3InfamousI

Administrator
Staff member
⅛” on the neck is huge.than would mean the rake on triple tree is +- 5 degrees I suppose.
That's what I'm saying even an 1/8th of an inch would be wild and I can't imagine that would even cause rub

bigkelk9

What about the stopper welded inside the neck, it may have shifted or begin to break the weld... jmo

bigkelk9

Best thing to do would be to take the front end apart and check the bearings and races , right?
I personally don’t think it’s a bearing or race issue, but it really wouldn’t hurt. Idk what the normal tolerance is on clearance of them fairings, but if it’s rubbing, I would pull it all apart and check all that and shine a light down the neck and make sure them stoppers aren’t breaking and or moved at the welds... I’m curious as to what u find. Let us know

Cruz Dog

All that lingo is like foreign language to me. So I’ll be monitoring see if anyone fixes before me. I need to fix it before new paint job.

bigkelk9

Hey, just a thought, get her up in the air and see if there is actual back and forth movement on the forks and how it feels when turning them.... that’ll be a dead give away if there is a bearing issue