Bike won’t start. Help!!

Mikeinjersey

Active Member
Fan on all night, battery on a tender. Still same problem. Could it be my key switch? If I disconnect the battery. Put the key in and turn it to the on position. Then hook the battery back up. Everything seem to work ok. Bike starts lights com on. But the minute I turn the bike off. It goes back to not working.
Yes it could be your key switch and it could also be something funky with your battery. Take a hair dryer and hit your switch and the EHC to make sure they get dry. Can't hurt to fully charge and test you battery.
 

Sven

Well-Known Member
What Mike said, or [neg] off the battery, key on, cable back on battery, and I mean just push it hard so you can start the bike = Not the switch.

Since the neg is off, scrape the lead post and cable side fresh with new metal, meaning, that contact each other. Do the same to the plus side since the neg is off on the switch test. Needle nose crimp, this side of crushing the soft lead if you prefer. That strong touch contact is good enough for the load to be normal and not heat up at that touch point. Then vaseline for the backyard mech, rather than run out to buy the right grease.
 

chubs

Guru
What Mike said, or [neg] off the battery, key on, cable back on battery, and I mean just push it hard so you can start the bike = Not the switch.

Since the neg is off, scrape the lead post and cable side fresh with new metal, meaning, that contact each other. Do the same to the plus side since the neg is off on the switch test. Needle nose crimp, this side of crushing the soft lead if you prefer. That strong touch contact is good enough for the load to be normal and not heat up at that touch point. Then vaseline for the backyard mech, rather than run out to buy the right grease.
Yeah , Vaseline should be good enough , don't waste money on engine oil when you can just pour chicken fat in the motor. they call it dielectric grease for a reason. Use the correct product for the correct application and you'll be much better off.
 

Sven

Well-Known Member
Read the container... code word "petroleum' base should say both come from the same source. One is easier to apply to the skin, not thick like dielectric grease. Now you look stupid starting shit up wit me. Don't go dare. I'll have you in a clown suit in no time.
 

Jersey Big Mike

Well-Known Member
Supporting Member
Read the container... code word "petroleum' base should say both come from the same source. One is easier to apply to the skin, not thick like dielectric grease. Now you look stupid starting shit up wit me. Don't go dare. I'll have you in a clown suit in no time.
Sven, with the di-electric grease I use, you are incorrect.
Permatex Dielectric Tune-Up Grease is a silicone dielectric compound. ie not petroleum,

Also while vasoline will work temporarily, it is more water soluble and also since the viscosity is lower the vibration will effect it more quickly.

Now, if you after a quick fix or nothing else is available, yes you can use it but true dielectric grease is much better. IMHO
 
Top