Avon Cobra Warning

Energy One

Bowhunter

The Postman and I went for our first good ride in the mountains of East Tennessee today. We stopped at the bottom of the famous "Dragon" on Hwy. 129 to stretch our legs and the following photos show the splitting of the sidewall of the new Avon Cobra tire on Postman's '08 K-9.
This is a HEADS UP if you have these tires to keep a close eye on the sidewall integrity of these tires. He did make it home OK and will be on the phone with AVON tomorrow.

As you can see the cracking is extensive.

Be warned and be careful guys.

Fibersnake

Banjo Playing PsychoBilly
That is not good for sure and pretty scary especially considering you were on the Dragon's Tail.

A few quick questions, were these bought recently and if from a discount dealer, did he check the man date to make sure they were not old stock. Also what tire pressure was he running if you have any idea.

Thanks for the head's up

mcgroom

That is not good for sure and pretty scary especially considering you were on the Dragon's Tail.

A few quick questions, were these bought recently and if from a discount dealer, did he check the man date to make sure they were not old stock. Also what tire pressure was he running if you have any idea.

Thanks for the head's up
All good question Fiber. Looking forward to hearing the answers.

Fibersnake

Went and read the link that was listed earlier in the thread and it does appear that many have been having some sort of issue with the Cobra's. Will have to keep that iin mind when I go to replace, but maybe be somewhat easier to find a good replacement since I am using a 250 verse the 300.

Bowhunter

In answer to Fibersnakes questions: The tires were ordered from a mail-order company talked about on this forum by several members. The tires manufacture date is 30th week of '09, tire pressure was as specified in the owners manual at 40psi, the tires were mounted in September of '10 and they had almost 800 miles.

postman

Hey guys all the cracks in the tire happen today, I know because I clean the wheels before we went on our ride so when the tire starts deteriating it happens fast.

Tim

Administrator
Staff member
Founder
Lifetime Supporting Member
Calendar Participant
Troop Supporter
Supporting Member
Glad it didn't cause an accident and that you found it as soon as you did.

BBChopper

Supports 2 Disabled Vets
Troop Supporter
I have only put 7k on mine in a year and a half and Im almost to the wear indicator.....:angry:

mcgroom

Ok, the question I have then is whether this is an Avon quality issue that we keep hearing about or are these bad run and or old stock?

I considered contacting Rocky Mountain with regards to getting set up as a dealer so I can at least compete with their pricing, but I would rather not get the business than to potentially sell an inferior product.

jbotts

There have been a lot of posts blasting these "cobra" tires lately. Mine has been fine so far knock on wood, but this post along with others is disturbing.

Fibersnake

In answer to Fibersnakes questions: The tires were ordered from a mail-order company talked about on this forum by several members. The tires manufacture date is 30th week of '09, tire pressure was as specified in the owners manual at 40psi, the tires were mounted in September of '10 and they had almost 800 miles.
Thanks for the info and everything seems fine there and did read the old thread and it sure looks like there is something going on with Avon's QC in regards to the Cobra's. They need to get a handle on whatever it is before someone gets hurt or worse.

For now will stay away from them and glad you all caught it before a blow-out. Thanks for the info will be keeping an eye on the threads and updates for the Cobra's

chacha

Chaff Your EHC!!
Calendar Participant
Good info -- thanks for the pics. Looks like they are a disaster waiting to happen.

TMK9

:angry:GREAT! I just ordered one Last Thurs.:angry:
Were those pics of the front tire? Or both?

98sporty

I just went and looked at mine and there are no cracks in mine and the manufacture date on my front 29 09 and the rear is 08 09 I have about a 1000-2000 miles on them now. Both cobras, but I will definatly keep an eye on them now after seeing this.:eek: