2010 Bagger problem with grips and throttle cables

Energy One

Ernie12

I replaced my PCB on the right side because it was giving me problems with the off switch. I got the controls apart and replaced everything. The problem began when I started to put it back together. I get everything hooked up with the wires , ferrules and cables on the grip and then try to put it back together. For some reason it will not push all the way back together by be pushing them with my hands. I can get both of the bolts started and then have to draw them together so it closes the control housing together. Now the for the bad part I cannot seem to adjust the throttles cables so they work correctly. If I give it half throttle and let go it will go back like it should. If I give it full throttle it hangs up and will not return to the idle position. It seems like it is cable dragging on something inside . I have tried adjusting over and over with no luck.

I replaced my PCB on the right side because it was giving me problems with the off switch. I got the controls apart and replaced everything. The problem began when I started to put it back together. I get everything hooked up with the wires , ferrules and cables on the grip and then try to put it back together. For some reason it will not push all the way back together by be pushing them with my hands. I can get both of the bolts started and then have to draw them together so it closes the control housing together. Now the for the bad part I cannot seem to adjust the throttles cables so they work correctly. If I give it half throttle and let go it will go back like it should. If I give it full throttle it hangs up and will not return to the idle position. It seems like it is cable dragging on something inside . I have tried adjusting over and over with no luck.
It may be a few things
Did you back off the set screw on the bottom of the housing before putting the controls back together ?
It could be the positioning of the control on the handlebars Try loosening and rotating the control
Also check your brake switch magnet. wire could be bound up inside the control ?
Is the PCB board seated correctly ?

Ernie12

It may be a few things
Did you back off the set screw on the bottom of the housing before putting the controls back together ?
It could be the positioning of the control on the handlebars Try loosening and rotating the control
Also check your brake switch magnet. wire could be bound up inside the control ?
Is the PCB board seated correctly ?
Thanks for the list I will double check everything.

41bigdawg

Let the Big Dawg eat !
Supporting Member
In my experience with the new PCB boards, the little connector on the new ones interferes with the throttle cable if you don't move it out of the way towards the center of the bike. That is probably what is causing your problem.

Ernie12

In my experience with the new PCB boards, the little connector on the new ones interferes with the throttle cable if you don't move it out of the way towards the center of the bike. That is probably what is causing your problem.
Yea I know what you mean and that little clip on plug is not so great. Even after you clip it on you can just pull it back off without touching the clip. I put a dab of marine silicone on it to help hold the plug on the pins.

Ok new day fresh mind. I took it apart again because I knew the grip was dragging on the housing once I twisted it to full throttle and would hang up. Turns out I had to tighten it down part way and then pull out on the grip and hold it while tightening down the screws. You would not think you should have to do this since the housing has pins to line it up with the master-cylinder. But its working correctly now . Thanks for the input guys.

Ernie12

Well bad news, I had the throttles working fine but no brake light. You guessed it the plug came off. I can see where it is hitting the back of the white plug and knocking it off the pins when I twist the throttle. I have tried a couple of more times and the same ending with no brake light. I can see why Big Dog glued that wire on the board.

If any of you guys bent that plug in a certain direction to clear the grip when you twist it please let me know.:oldbang:

Well bad news, I had the throttles working fine but no brake light. You guessed it the plug came off. I can see where it is hitting the back of the white plug and knocking it off the pins when I twist the throttle. I have tried a couple of more times and the same ending with no brake light. I can see why Big Dog glued that wire on the board.

If any of you guys bent that plug in a certain direction to clear the grip when you twist it please let me know.:oldbang:
Take the brake sensor wire and run it under the handlebar wiring harness this will keep tension off the connection and will keep it out of the way of the grip

Sven

I'm not sure if this is universal or not, but if this is dual throttle cables where on is open, one is the safety return; loosen both cable adjusts. Run out the return cable slack first. Fine tune the open cable to desired slack or no slack at all. If no slack, flop front end to both fork locks to see if the idle rises and adjust the open cable for this.

Ernie12

Take the brake sensor wire and run it under the handlebar wiring harness this will keep tension off the connection and will keep it out of the way of the grip
Well I got it this time but if it does not stay on I will run it under the handlebar. Thank you!

Well I got it this time but if it does not stay on I will run it under the handlebar. Thank you!
Not under the handlebar, a little trick is to run it underneath the wiring harness wires that runs through the hole in the handlebar. It keeps the brake wire pinned under and doesn’t stress the connection. Glad you got it