I am currently in the middle of fixing up and getting on the road a 2006 K9 for a friend of mine. He owns a towing company and has had this bike stored indoors at his facility for at least 10 years. It was filthy and gas tank fuel of putrid fuel. I stripped all the wiring off of the bike since it was chopped all to hell and had melted wires from a couple shorts. It is being rewired with a Thunder Heart harness. This will be my third complete rewire using this harness and I am very fond of them. I got the motor running after taking the carb apart, cleaning it, and reassembling it. I have a long way to go, including a repaint of the bike, but I am enjoying the work since I just finished my ground up softail build so I have time for this one now.
In the process of tearing it down, I discovered the hand control wiring internal to the bars and controls was all messed up and the wiring to the switches was not useable and all the pins were all bent and broke. Whomever had the bike last really, really screwed the wiring and bike up. Anyway, I have converted the bike to Harley hand controls by getting some new drag bars and complete chrome hand control setup. It looks great on the bike and will be easy to hook to the harness than trying to buy new switches and stuff from BD parts and figuring out the wiring.
I tested the speedo and tach and the speedo somewhat works but the tach and indicator lights are all corroded and dead. Also, since I changed the bars, I lost the mounting location and such for the speedo. I would like to mount an all in one speedo/tach like a prometer or such. Not looking for a Dakota Digital as those suckers are expensive and not what I am looking for. Ideally, I would like to mount the speedo to the center 1 1/2" bar on the drag bars. I need some ideas on how I can mount it and for an acceptable speedo. A good speedo will have a tach on it also and the indicator lights. Please let me know what you have done in the past and/or ideas you may have. This is the last item I need before I start rewiring it since I bought a seat on here from Snuffy.
Thanks for any help you can provide.
In the process of tearing it down, I discovered the hand control wiring internal to the bars and controls was all messed up and the wiring to the switches was not useable and all the pins were all bent and broke. Whomever had the bike last really, really screwed the wiring and bike up. Anyway, I have converted the bike to Harley hand controls by getting some new drag bars and complete chrome hand control setup. It looks great on the bike and will be easy to hook to the harness than trying to buy new switches and stuff from BD parts and figuring out the wiring.
I tested the speedo and tach and the speedo somewhat works but the tach and indicator lights are all corroded and dead. Also, since I changed the bars, I lost the mounting location and such for the speedo. I would like to mount an all in one speedo/tach like a prometer or such. Not looking for a Dakota Digital as those suckers are expensive and not what I am looking for. Ideally, I would like to mount the speedo to the center 1 1/2" bar on the drag bars. I need some ideas on how I can mount it and for an acceptable speedo. A good speedo will have a tach on it also and the indicator lights. Please let me know what you have done in the past and/or ideas you may have. This is the last item I need before I start rewiring it since I bought a seat on here from Snuffy.
Thanks for any help you can provide.
