2005 pitbull

Hey brothers and sisters. I have an issue with my 05 pitbull. I’ve put a new battery in, it starts right up. Go for a ride and everything is good. When I try to restart it - it cranks but won’t start. The battery starts to sizzle and smoke on the negative terminal and kills the battery. This has happened twice With new batteries. My charging system is running good. What can it be ? Thanks in advance for your help. Ride safe family.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HMAN

I just like my Freedom
You have a short somewheres. Ck wiring under tank for rubbed wires. Ck ur starter connections, heck, ck ALL the connections. Something loose or rubbing sounds like. Electrical gremlims can be a PIA to track down. Start @ the headlight n work ur way back to the tail/tag lights. :2cents:

You have a short somewheres. Ck wiring under tank for rubbed wires. Ck ur starter connections, heck, ck ALL the connections. Something loose or rubbing sounds like. Electrical gremlims can be a PIA to track down. Start @ the headlight n work ur way back to the tail/tag lights. :2cents:
Thank you brother

Mikeinjersey

I agree with Mr. Wright. Your battery should read no more than 14.5 vdc while running and 12.8 vdc when off. You could disconnect it from the CB and see if your symptom goes away. The VR recharges the battery but is not required to run the bike. If the VR is good than HMAN has the way to go. Also look for fault light clues on the EHC when you turn the key on.
You may find this article helpful.

https://www.batterystuff.com/kb/art.../testing-your-battery-for-parasitic-load.html

I agree with Mr. Wright. Your battery should read no more than 14.5 vdc while running and 12.8 vdc when off. You could disconnect it from the CB and see if your symptom goes away. The VR recharges the battery but is not required to run the bike. If the VR is good than HMAN has the way to go. Also look for fault light clues on the EHC when you turn the key on.

https://www.batterystuff.com/kb/art.../testing-your-battery-for-parasitic-load.html
Appreciate you bro. Thank you

Hey Mike. What does the CB stand for ?

Hey Mr right. So I was doing some trouble shooting and found that it looks like my VR was hit. I just bought the bike and maybe the guy hit a curb or a speed bump. 2 of the teeth are bent and it was loose and was being held by one bolt. My question is, I was having issues where my bike would start with a jump and be fine but when I shut it off and tried to restart it it would crank and start to kill the battery to the point of the batteries smoking and leaking. I’m on my 3rd battery, Could a loose VR be the issue ? Thanks for your help brother.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[mention]Mr. Wright [/mention]