2004 Chopper, LSD, driveline offset for open primary ?

Energy One

Moespeeds

2004 Chopper LSD, what's my driveline offset? Someone just told me on the phone they think it's 1-1/2" but I thought I just read somewhere here that it's 1-7/16"? Anyone have any experience with Southern Motorcycle Works? They have a pretty nice primary they build off of an Ultima clutch, the guys on Club Chopper have plenty of nice things to say about them...

Southern Motorcycle Works aftermarket Harley and V-Twin Motorcycle parts discount parts , custom wheels, exhausts, frames, motors, chrome, touring and dresser accessories and more...

Moe

Moe as I told you before your 04 LSD daytec frame has a 1-7/16 offset and if you want to use anything other than the primo you will have to do some machining

Moespeeds

Got it Al, sorry I couldn't remember where I read that. I just called Southern MCW, the guys I want to buy the belt drive from, and he is claiming there is no such thing. I did goto Primo's website and see they make a 1-7/16 offset for the front pulley. I can get the pulley machined easily enough, but is that all I'll need to do?

Moe 2 things have the offset first the front pulley, then the front motor plate. The primo setup incorporates both. But what you can also do is buy a 1-1/2 offset kit and machine down the front pulley spacer and the front offset spacer or motor plate if its a one pc built in offset. You can also buy an off the shelf unit for a softail and then custom make the front motor plate spacer and offset pulley. I would price all that out before doing it. As far as no such thing have that guy call Daytec up and tell him. This is a standard offset for daytec 250 LSD and unfortunately primo was the only who stepped up and made a unit specific to them.

Moespeeds

I spoke with Daytec and they said they will sell me a 1-7/16 front plate and spacer, what do you guys think of that?

moe there are really only 1 spacer and that goes between the motor and the backplate. The other spacer is really an offset that bolts to the backside of the front pulley.Here's a shot of a front motor plate that has the offset already built in.

Last edited:

Moespeeds

What I'm wondering about is the front plate, is it primary specific or is it a standard size? I've had the Brute IV off my buddies Bourget apart several times, so I'm familiar about how the thing goes together, but I gotta check with Daytec about whether or not it will mate up with an Ultima. Thanks for the pics Al, they do a great job of showing what I need.

Moespeeds

Southern Motorcycle Works is going to machine their belt drive to fit my offset. About $1300 for the drive and around $75 for the labor. Drive is built off an Ultima clutch basket, 3-3/8 wide. Guys on club chopper have allot of nice things to say about the shop. Here's a pic: