2002 pitbull primary problem/Noise

pitbull pat

I recently probably adjusted my primary chain a bit tight. After a few weeks of hard riding (getting it on the streets of Detroit) I developed a part time noise that sounds like a spun bearing..like metal on metal... any ideas on what is occurring? am thinking bearing is bad but would like some input on what to look for when taking primary off.

Also I am running a 107 inch S&S w 2-1 exhaust. The stock jets were 29.5 intermediate and 70 main (explains why bi had to run w choke on). I went up to 33 intermediate and 80 main. Any thoughts on this? Id like to know what guys are running on the 107 and other bikes for comparison.

Thanks

HMAN

Just like to ride
Supporting Member
If you are running a compensator on this bike, change it out. I'm not sure if the 02 had compensators tho.... There have been several folks, including myself, that had to replace them. The spring will break inside the compensator and cause an odd whirring sound. Just my .02

pitbull pat

Right on I pray that's what it is I'm afraid I trashed the trans main bearing...idk
Thx for heads up

Sent from my SM-J737T1 using Tapatalk

bdm7250

Guru
Lifetime Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Right on I pray that's what it is I'm afraid I trashed the trans main bearing...idk
Thx for heads up

If its a bearing the noise would be constant, a bad bearing does not come and go. How tight is your final drive belt, if it is too tight or not properly aligned it will make some squealing noise.

SEAL-rider

Lifetime Supporting Member
33/80 is a lot for a 107. My 117 ran like a bat out of hell with 29.5/76. How is your gas mileage. Some say it is better to run rich. I don't get that. I ran just on the lean side for snappy throttle. Maybe your carb needs a cleaning. Oh, and a tight primary chain can cause other problems so I would fix that ASAP.

pitbull pat

After tearing primary apart I found
A clutch basket w a slightly elongated enter (see pic) bearings appear good.
Could a worm compensator make a metal on metal screeching noise?