1st Peg Scrape

Brent Herridge

:) I'm impressed guys. You've inspired me to make sure I won't wait 3 months to do it again. Based on the bike in the photo and Alan's garage in his .sig, I'll take it that's not a self portrait ?

Todd set the bar pretty high too. That half-missing spike has obviously seen plenty of asphalt.....

Jersey Big Mike

100K mile club
You know this thread reminds me of a conversation I had with a Harley tech once and one with a guy I used to ride with.

Customer had some mods done to the bike at the shop.
Customer came back and complained that since the "upgrades" the bike didn't turn and handle as well -- had to take turns wider and slower now.
Tech examine bike and all was well. Customer left.
Customer comes back 2 days later still complaining about having "turning" issues.
Tech got on the bike in front of store and customer and did some figure eights and scraped on both sides.
Parked, looked at customer and said, "Bike's fine -- Handles and turns just like it should." "Maybe, you're a little scared of it"
Customer left -- never complained about it again.

Always remember, scraping is ok, trying to go past that is bad!

Had a friend ride with me one day -- took a right and he's drifting towards me , to the point I had to go into opposing lane.
He said, of this bike can't turn that tight but my other bike can.
He could do on the softtail but not on the touring bike.
Told him, if the k-9 makes the turn without scraping so will that road king.
Then I asked -- ever drop this bike -- yeah, turning out of dealer parking lot!
I told him -- "You scared of it because of that", "You can lean til hard parts hit"

KnotSo

Admin
Staff member
Or you can slow down.
Yeah, riders ride, scrapes happen and if you live near the mountains and actually ride, pipe scraps are gonna happen. Of course, those that trailer their hounds or ride in the city will probably never scrape. Some pipes sit lower than others and thus some pipes may never scrape. Don't worry about it, just ride the dog, they love to get out and run.

Tim

Administrator
Staff member
Founder
Lifetime Supporting Member
Calendar Participant
Troop Supporter
Supporting Member
Wear them as badges of honor.

My pipes and pegs where worn down and loved every time I scraped them.

View media item 9288

Brent Herridge

I went down Park Rd 4 in Kingsland again Sunday, but no scrapes this time :(

I was disappointed but I'll try harder next time. A pack of on/off-road BMW's followed me on the way back. They didn't seem to want to chase, and weren't overly friendly when we met up at the traffic light either. Maybe they were embarrassed they couldn't pass a chopper. :)

Mr. Wright

Knows some things
Supporting Member
I went down Park Rd 4 in Kingsland again Sunday, but no scrapes this time :(

I was disappointed but I'll try harder next time. A pack of on/off-road BMW's followed me on the way back. They didn't seem to want to chase, and weren't overly friendly when we met up at the traffic light either. Maybe they were embarrassed they couldn't pass a chopper. :)
That's just BMW riders. One wanted to race me from a stop light once. Took him by about 5 bike lengths. All he said to me at the next light was,"Damn"

Brent thank you in advance for your cool post , so nice to know I am not alone .... tons of experience here and many pop stories ,but bottom line here is we get kicked in the ass owning a cookie cutter bikes in mags and media , all I have to say is try doing what you have done on any other chopper build ! Right of passage , grind on balls deep ....