17" Apes on a 2004 Big Dog chopper

Bob P.

Sooo….. first things first. If you start this project DO NOT use any style of Z bars. it is very difficult to the point of impossible to get the internal wires threaded. I did it but it was not pretty.... If you decide to do this, I recommend 14" apes, with 1 1/4 inch diameter bars all the way (with the exception of the reduction to the ends at 1"). it will be a lot easier to thread the wires.
BTW. cool trick. I tied a tear drop fishing weight to the end of a sturdy string and just bounced it through! worked great.

Here is what I had to use: 6" over stock for the throttle cables, 6" over stock for front brake cable, 15" over stock for Clutch cable (Special order from Barnett Clutches, 82" length).

I stayed with the original big dog controls. I will discuss how I did that later (Kinda wasn't typical!).
Also, call the big dog dealer in Kansas and have them make you two 14" extensions for the two handlebar wire controls before you start this project.

Bob P.

a special thanks to TH3Infamous for supplying the throttle and front brake. Here is his number for any parts you need:620-680-0395. Great service, delivery and his prices are better than any I found on the net.

Bob P.

I am currently still wiring the bars. The risers were Harley standard risers and fit Harley bars perfectly. I will keep you all posted and I will post more pics soon.

Bob P.

Geez im getting old...… They are 16" Z style Apes...… god. I was told that at my age the memory is the second thing to go....forgot what the first one was.....

Coolbreezin

Looks good. Id have to see a person sitting on it for reference.. I really like how the bars are the same width as the forks.

Bob P.

I will get a pic with me on it. The bars are not as high as the look. The grips are just about shoulder height.

Smoke67

If you use a shop vac, to vacuum a string through the bars, then tie the wires to the string, you can pull the wires through.
Works like a charm. Did it on 14" apes on my Indian. The ones I have are pretty narly with some harsh edges. I used a cotton ball tied to the string. Tape the other open end of the bar.

Bob P.

Got the string through pretty easy. It was when I started pulling the actual wires that was the prob. But eventually got it done. Now the coil wen out and I keep chasing air bubbles in the front line! Lol. Labors of love.

Bob P.

Well thank to Eric I fixed the air bubble prob. My master cylinder is the old type with the fluid hole at the top. At the angle it was mounted when I straighted the bars the hole was exposed to air. I changed the angle of the cylinder and over filled it before putting the gasket back on. That way excess fluid was pushed out and the cylinder stayed full.