06 BIG DOG MASTIFF SHUTTING DOWN

sparky_06

Hey guys I'm hoping y'all can help with an issue I've been having. Sometimes when I'm riding the mastiff will sputter and shut down completely. Like I've ran out of fuel. Pull over and most of the time she'll fire right back up. I was left stranded on a memorial ride once for 3 hours waiting for a tow truck (damn thing fired right up once the tow got to me). I've cleaned and adjusted the carburetor and replaced the air filter. My cousin suggested it could be getting vapor locked. has anyone else experienced this issue and know the fix?

bdm7250

Guru
Lifetime Supporting Member
Supporting Member
When it happens loosen your gas cap. If your gas cap is not venting proper you'll get vapor lock.

HMAN

Just like to ride
Supporting Member
Make sure the ECH plug is tight. Is this a regular occurence or random events?

sparky_06

it's a regular occurrence but sometimes it's after 4 hours of riding other times it does it 5 miles down the road. when it happens at first if I goose the throttle it'll usually correct itself but only for a few minutes before it does it again and goosing the throttle doesn't work and it shuts down. I haven't rode in a bit so I need to get on it and try venting the cap to see if that works. I live on a dirt road so it wouldn't surprise me if sand has clogged the gas cap vents.

HMAN

Just like to ride
Supporting Member
it's a regular occurrence but sometimes it's after 4 hours of riding other times it does it 5 miles down the road. when it happens at first if I goose the throttle it'll usually correct itself but only for a few minutes before it does it again and goosing the throttle doesn't work and it shuts down. I haven't rode in a bit so I need to get on it and try venting the cap to see if that works. I live on a dirt road so it wouldn't surprise me if sand has clogged the gas cap vents.
Hmmm, it does sound like a fuel supply issue. Check inside your tank for pieces of floating liner. Some have a green color, some are red. The liner will clog the petcock screen. I found some rather big chunks in mine. Worth a look.2012-03-30_19-55-57_70.jpg

Pops

Had same problem.....BD proprietary electrical system /EHC. Had bike rewired to Harley wires....no more problems !

Iman

Check the easy problem first. Gas cap vent. If it has a white piece on it unscrew it and throw it away

HMAN

Just like to ride
Supporting Member
what is the white piece. im a little hesitant to just throw parts away
It is a plastic piece of the vent. It has caused issues so most folks just take it off the cap. You dont have to trash it right away, but you will eventually as there is no real use for it.