Roaring noise when clutch is pulled in on a 07 Bulldog

Nomad2day

Longhair Redneck Geek
Out on the road yesterday and I start to down shift on a back road and started hearing a roaring noise from the primary case. The roar or whirl would be gear related. In second it would whirl one rpm and when I downshifted into 1st is would speed up with that gear. Took the bike home and did a couple of clutch adjustments to no avail. When the clutch is released no noise, pulled in a roaring noise. I had a clutch basket nut loosen up and the basket hit the primary last winter. Had the shop go through it then. Bunch of metal shavings came out as I sprayed the primary out tonight.

I got home tonight and take the bike out to warm it up and see how the last adjustment did. Still whirling but not as bad and hit and miss how loud when the clutch is pulled in. Got home and drained the oil and pulled the primary. Had a bunch of metal on the drain plug magnet. Pulled the throw out bearing which is binding and scarred up which probably is the culprit here. Had a bunch of scarring on the pressure plate where the clutch and diaphragm spring rides on it due to aluminum chips getting under it.

Pulled the friction plates out and checked them out. Some aluminum trash in the first couple of plates. No other damage that I can see. he clutch basket nut looks to be good and snug so I did not try to remove it. Took some CRC cleaner and sprayed out the back bearing through the carrier slots and had some more aluminum crap flow out.
I am going to replace the throw out bearing for the time being to see if it is in fact the noise maker for time being so I can get some road miles in. I will upgrade to the bandit system later next month if this goes well. I am going on vacation the second week on July to Florida to spend some time with my dad and let him spoil the grand kids.
Any other thoughts what would cause the noise when the clutch is pulled in or what I should check out while it is apart.

Guess I need to get a hold of WB Cycles and get a throw out bearing and retaining clip shipped to me quick....

lee

can't help on the issue so apologies for that but I will say a clutch upgrade should be near the top of everyones list of upgrades

Nomad2day

Longhair Redneck Geek
Problem still not resolved here. Found a double roller bearing and put it in the throw out housing and cleaned all the plates in the clutch and primary in general. Put everything back together. Went ahead a serviced my transmission seeing how it has 7500. All the services up to now have been done at a BDM shop. Some brown watery crap came out of the transmission. I am disappointed in how it looks. Was a pain getting the plug back in to boot. Filled it back with 20oz of Harley fluid. Taking the bike out and running it to see what happens. It has gotten quieter but still roaring as I drop gears.
I have contacted WB Cycles about ordering a complete Bandit clutch system but I am wondering about the transmission now as well.
I will put some miles on here today and tomorrow and let you know what is happening.

Nomad2day

Longhair Redneck Geek
BBChopper,
I am believing the it is in the transmission. I do not know how the internals work in one so someone can point me in the right direction, here is my take of it.
When I had the clutch pack out, I reached down and grabbed the clutch Basket nut and rotated the shaft "Mainshaft?" by hand and had a roar noise here like a bearing was scarred. Was not smooth by any means anyway. Anyway may question is the mainshaft being supported by the 5th gear bearing? What is the bearing called that supports the shaft coming out of the transmission case? Appears it is roaring . When I drained the transmission, it was contaminated with moister and just a brown liquid muck.
perhaps someone can point me in the right direction here and the proper way to replace this bearing.
Thanks,
Neil

dogvet

Banned
If it roars when you pull in the clutch lever while sitting stationary and in gear, its the throw out bearing (nothing else inside the transmission is moving). If you're not riding your bike much, the water and brown muck is due to condensation inside the tranny case (water is mixing with the oil). When you ride these beasts (especially in humid areas) you have got to get the drive train up to operating temperatures toi dissipate the condensation otherwise it accumulates in the case and causes rust pitting on shafts gears and bearings.

BIG HOUSE

DOG ONA DOG
Calendar Participant
If it roars when you pull in the clutch lever while sitting stationary and in gear, its the throw out bearing (nothing else inside the transmission is moving). If you're not riding your bike much, the water and brown muck is due to condensation inside the tranny case (water is mixing with the oil). When you ride these beasts (especially in humid areas) you have got to get the drive train up to operating temperatures toi dissipate the condensation otherwise it accumulates in the case and causes rust pitting on shafts gears and bearings.
I was hoping you would jump in . It happens when I am slowing and I pull the clutch in and downshift into 1st not at a stand still

BIG HOUSE

DOG ONA DOG
Calendar Participant
To bring you up to speed my clutch basket nut backed off so there were a bunch of particles from the dia spring bolt heads hitting the case cleaned it out best I could loctited the nut torqued to 80 reassembled and everything is good except the grind. seems to get worse when its hot

Last edited:

dogvet

Banned
To bring you up to speed my clutch basket nut backed off so there were a bunch of particles from the dia spring bolt heads hitting the case cleaned it out best I could loctited the nut torqued to 80 reassembled and everything is good except the grind. seems to get worse when its hot
80 ft/lbs ain't enough, take it to 100. The grinding sound is going to be a bearing, just trying to figure out which one. Any other symptoms? Anything on acceleration?

Try this, If you can find a nice quiet chunk of highway, take the bike up to speed, kill the engine and pull in the clutch and listen while it slows down to a stop (Do it in each gear if you want, Because I'll have more questions). By doing this, you take the input load off of the tranny and you'll have a better idea which side the noise is actually coming from and you'll be loading the tranny form the rear wheel instead of the engine. If the noise is still present, good possibility that the grinding may be from the pulley side of the transmission. If it's not there, We'll try to determine if it's the tranny input bearing or a gear bearing.

Meanwhile, I'll study my little notebook of "Where the hell did you get that information!"

Last edited:

bdmridgeback

Low Down Chop Shop
My bike also made some bad noise coming to a stop only when the clutch was pulled in and not out. I chased it down to the clutch pushrod was dry without any grease on it. I pulled it out the right side, lubed it up and shoved it back in. Nice and quiet and about 1000 miles later, still quiet!

woodbutcher

Mr. Old Fart member #145
Staff member
My bike also made some bad noise coming to a stop only when the clutch was pulled in and not out. I chased it down to the clutch pushrod was dry without any grease on it. I pulled it out the right side, lubed it up and shoved it back in. Nice and quiet and about 1000 miles later, still quiet!
sounds like a good easy fix. will have to remember this. thanks, bdmridgeback!