Anyone ever re-wire the whole bike?

I was wondering if anyone has rewired there complete bike, basically
started from scratch. Not just a wires-plus install but rewired everything
got rid of the ehc, wired in standard/harley controls etc. If so did you
use a pre-made harness or make one yourself?

Thanks

shovelcowboy

Calendar Participant
On my custom chopper I had bought a BDM 2004 complete harness and had the EHC to go with it. I had originally planned to wire it just like a 2004 chopper since I had a 2004 motor and primary and since I planned on using many BDM parts.

But then because some service and parts guys at a BDM dealer advised that I NOT go with BDM wiring or EHC I took their advise and Harley wired it (ground up) and was able to use motor company hand controls and most any bars I wanted.

I used a pre-made harness I got off of ebay for I think about $70 and it has worked flawlessly! Only thing I had to do was get a Badlands self-cancelling module so blinkers would go off and because I wanted to use rear LED blinkers.

There was no issue in wiring up a digital speedo either which has worked perfectly.

If you are interested I will see if the same guy on ebay is still selling the harnesses.

Shovelcowboy

Moespeeds

When you do it, do it as simple as possible. You don't need signal indicators, neutral indicator, oil idiot light, high beam switch, starter button, run/off switch, etc. Toss all that crap, it only clutters the system and adds complexity to something that was meant to be simple. Put your hi/low beam on a switch on the back of the headlight bucket, starter button either on the starter (eliminates relay), or on the key switch, and get an oil pressure gauge. The only thing on the bars should be the turn signals if you choose to use them. You won't miss any of the other crap trust me, and you'll thank yourself later for the simplicity of having just 10 wires running through the bike as opposed to the 10,000 that BD had!

V

Guru
When you do it, do it as simple as possible. You don't need signal indicators, neutral indicator, oil idiot light, high beam switch, starter button, run/off switch, etc. Toss all that crap, it only clutters the system and adds complexity to something that was meant to be simple. Put your hi/low beam on a switch on the back of the headlight bucket, starter button either on the starter (eliminates relay), or on the key switch, and get an oil pressure gauge. The only thing on the bars should be the turn signals if you choose to use them. You won't miss any of the other crap trust me, and you'll thank yourself later for the simplicity of having just 10 wires running through the bike as opposed to the 10,000 that BD had!
I would agrre with this 100% and if/when I have a problem will do so. Found a book on flea bay for 20 bucks "How to wire a custom motorcycle" has pics schmatics, part numbers etc.
In Va no signals are rquired and only 1 mirror. Different states will vary check with your favorite gov offical :bang:

LamboV12

I did that to my 06 K9 back a few years ago, actually Trotta's shop did it for me.

Everything direct wire, one wire at a time - no ehc and all on one circut breaker. I should mention I changed the hand controls over to P/M and changed rear turn signals to Headwinds mini bullets.

Hand controls have turn signals, high beam, horn. Neutral switch wired to Digital Dakota speedo. The only "computer" on the bike is Badlands box for blinkers. Cleans everything up, no electrical problems since the re-wire. I think he charged me about $800, worth every penny after all the ech problems I had in the past.

2004BC

FREEDOM!!!
:iagree:This is the gospel TRUTH!!!! ALL the HD Customs I built for customers back in the day were completey stripped and wired from scratch. Kept it simple and never had an issue. Went so far as to build a few with Joe Hunt or Morris magnetos and battery eliminators(capacitors). Talk about minimal wiring!!!:cheers:

Moespeeds

You would direct wire your compression releases, as it should be anyway. What you do is run them directly to the hot post on the starter, so as long as the starter solenoid is closed and the starter is turning, the compression releases get power and stay open.

Moespeeds

NAMZ Custom Cycle Products in Ft Washington, PA is doing complete rewire's on Big Dogs. They will change your bars, controls, and completely rewire the bike from scratch as simple or as complicated as you like. Cost is in the $1500 range.

NAMZ . CUSTOM CYCLE PRODUCTS

Sancho

Complete Rewire, no premade harness, harley controls, and best of all...no stinkin computer =) 05 Ridge.

Mr. Wright

Knows some things
Supporting Member
My 03 chopper is hard wired too. Thunder heart ignition, bad lands signals, the rest is wires and relays

Diesel Dan

Man LOTS OF GOOD INFO on this subject........Looks like Iam gonna have to rewire my bike as well,the EHC is slowly dieing.......

How did you get the HD hand controls to fit our Handle-bars Andrew?? I thought they wouldnt fit......

Also...ANYBODY ever use one of the Ultima Custom wiring kits??? They look pretty good...
Anybody got Part numbers for the HD Hand controls......or know the best place to get them....

Last edited:

Sancho

we rewired Stryker's bike with the wire plus kit. mine has no computer... in order to fit the hd controls we had to plug weld in some 1" inserts. =)