To Gel or not to gel..That is the question...

Energy One

Oscar Maldonado

Guru
Calendar Participant
Al,
Sounds like Seatmaker does the gel the right way, I am thinking of going that route.
edited: I forgot that you already did...

Oscar,
Ask Seatmaker about the 'gator seat we saw at Arts Beats and Eats.
It would be perfect for a Louisiana Boy like you :2thumbs:
and WTF play some Molly Hatchet in that daily sound file...
I looked into the gator hide and I was going to send Seat a pm about it.
As far as the daily sound file - The company banned us from you tube. We don't get shit here. I'll have to do it from the house. I'll do it from the house this weekend.:2thumbs:

Cutter

Remember Cutter, those guys paid around $2500- to $3000- a piece for those Gator seats. Although I haven't really played around with the real stuff, for that price, I'll do everyones.:D
Price doesn't matter, we're talkin 'bout Oscars money :D
besides, he can just tie a chicken on a rope and wait for the raw materials to come to deliver themselves. :up:

I looked into the gator hide and I was going to send Seat a pm about it.
As far as the daily sound file - The company banned us from you tube. We don't get shit here. I'll have to do it from the house. I'll do it from the house this weekend.:2thumbs:
Ray already covered it, I was thinking about the song Gator Country.

Oscar Maldonado

Guru
Calendar Participant
Price doesn't matter, we're talkin 'bout Oscars money :D
besides, he can just tie a chicken on a rope and wait for the raw materials to come to deliver themselves. :up:
:eek:

:roll: :roll: :roll:

Don't think you made him very happy.:lol: :lol: :lol:

Gas Man

Cool isn't cheap
Calendar Participant
I ordered a custom seat from BD with Gel and red flame stitching to match the paint. Didn't do that well as far as comfort. Took the seat to a local seat guy and we pulled the cover off it was all foam with a order number written on it that "with Gel" but there was no gel pack.

The local seat guy put gel in it and its all better. I say yes to the Gel.

Has any body done anything with a air pack?

V
Did you contact BDM about the lack of gel even though you ordered it that way?

emcclary

I ordered a custom seat with the gel pad you can see a slight utline of it in the seat but nothing major. I had it covered with the black fake gator leather. I am sending my stock seat to Beeza for customizing and I'll have a gel pad put in that one too. It is kind of firm but I like it better than the stocker even after a couple of hundred mile ride.

CCRainman

Alot of people don't like the gel seat. When I had my seat redone by Scott, I elected to not have gel. I've ridden 500+ mile days with no problem. I think it's all up the the individual.

BBChopper

Supports 2 Disabled Vets
Troop Supporter

Seatmaker, can you gel?
I/m gona be down for at least six weeks next summer (if I make it that long, Back surgury) I would like to get a gel insert. My tail bone gives me a fit on long rides. Cracked it on a dirt bike when I was a kid...:eek:

rowdy13

I have the "Airhawk" motorcycle seat cushion. I love it. you dont have any hot spots, like other cushions have, and the air in each little compartment transfers around to each other "adjusts", to your butt movements. you just blow into the valve, to pump it up to whatever is best for you. I havent used it that much with my big dog, cause I'm concerned about it getting stolen, but if I were to go on a long trip, and had my sissy bar on with bags, I definitley take it, and prefer it to the gel. thats where a gel seat might be better, so you could have peace of mind about it being stolen. I do have the Big Dog tool pouch holder thingy, that everyone puts on the front forks, and I will try tonight to deflate the Airhawk, to see if it might fit in the tool pouch, but I doubt it. The seat is pretty big and bulky, but I'll try it and let you know. http://www.shapefitting.com/category.aspx?categoryID=54

Gas Man

Cool isn't cheap
Calendar Participant
Take it for what it's worth, A Firm Seat is always Better. When Scott did my seat he asked me if I wanted a gel Pad and I told him no, Reason being, I've found over time that a Harder Seat actually works better, I feel that the gel seats cause more problems. Just my Opnion.
I was along the same lines... I heard from a few guys that you can see it in the seat over time... I didn't want that.

Plus you will find once Seatmaker does his thing... the leather he uses is much softer and allows the stock cushion to sit more comfortable.... at least for me.