Starter noise when warm

Energy One

RiderTom

I have a 2008 Mastiff and when I start it cold everything seems and sounds normal. But say I drive up the road a mile to get gas. When I try to start it. It sounds like everything inside the starter is being thrown around. A lot of grinding and terrible noises, but it does start. It this just a simple rebuild of the starter I’m looking at at is it replacement time?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Hey RiderTom. I had the same problem a few weeks ago. Do you use a trickle charger?

The grinding tore up 2 starters on mine. Check your Amps before starting. It could be it's not fully charging when riding. It took me a while to figure out why. I finally replaced the whole charging system and now it no longer makes the grinding sounds.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

RiderTom

Hey RiderTom. I had the same problem a few weeks ago. Do you use a trickle charger?

The grinding tore up 2 starters on mine. Check your Amps before starting. It could be it's not fully charging when riding. It took me a while to figure out why. I finally replaced the whole charging system and now it no longer makes the grinding sounds.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Yes I’m using a trickle charger, I’ll look into that. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Sven

So let me get this straight... every cold start it performs normal, and is quiet, yes?
I'd look at the teeth on the clutch outer basket, meaning, the flywheel it's riveted to. Because theory is, better change both as a set. Can't run one old shoe with a new shoe, can't run a new chain on old sprockets kind of theory. Can't run a torn up starter gear with a new flywheel and expect better engagement?

Two approaches: change when it breaks or change before it breaks. Say you change it out and it still makes the noise. Better if it breaks and you know exactly what it was.

Sven

Like carefree said, you're on a trickle, hardly ride the bike, has an old battery is the variable... since you now bring up the trickle. This is where you'll need a volt meter to check charging. It puts out 14v at idle say, with a good charge battery, it might be the battery, not the charging system if say you do not ride enough, have a low quality battery to point to. The volt meter eliminates throwing parts at it.

Sven

First, we want a static battery with a 12.8v static setting... no draw on the battery meaning... is considered well charged. If say you blip the throttle and it spikes to 14v, then it's not the charging system.

Mikeinjersey

Should be 12.8 with key off and not above 14.5 when charging. You have a reading between 12.4 and 12.6 when the bike is not running. Both are too low. Your charging voltage of 13.6 may be OK I don't know what your system is supposed to have but at least it's producing a voltage which will charge. I have a 07 k9 and charges @ 13.9 while under way.The battery on these bikes is critical as you know and a new one is a good investment. If your current battery is under warranty have it load tested. If it's more than 2 years old dump it.
Check out Charging System and Starting System in this Diag Flowchart

Attachments

Last edited: