Shifter turns free

Woody1127

Hi guys. I laid down my k9 on the left side. I’m putting it back together. I put a whole new shifter assembly on it but when push or pull on the shifter lever. It just turns. There’s nothing there. Any ideas? Where should I start?

Sven

Start at the trans. Remove any linkage off the arm at the trans. Hand shift the trans in each gear, and back to N. Either have back wheel off the ground or roll the bike and do not pull the clutch lever in for this.

Woody1127

I
Start at the trans. Remove any linkage off the arm at the trans. Hand shift the trans in each gear, and back to N. Either have back wheel off the ground or roll the bike and do not pull the clutch lever in for this.
have my clutch lever off rt now. Would that make a difference? I can put my hand controls back together first...

Sven

No. It means; statically, you do not need to use the lever with a dead engine. So one hand to hold the bike and move it back and forth, the other hand to push/pull the arm at the trans. The trans shifts but the wheel does not stop as if in gear... Internal Trans Problem, not the new linkage. The crash snapped/popped something inside the gearbox.

The point is to see if the back wheel stops when in gear. That's shift in each gear and then back to N. If it moves free in N, then the gearbox internals is not the problem. Just did a crash job months ago. Shifter snapped right off. So for insurance purposes, I checked the gearbox at the arm and found the box does shift. Could not add that to the damage claim. The bike is gone, haven't heard about a trans problem.

When you say "it just turns", is that the rear wheel not stopping in gear? Wheel turns? Linkage just moves forward or back, and does not 'turn'. See where I'm sitting with new linkage, and something turns?

Woody1127

The linkage/shifter arm rolls forward and backwards. Like there’s nothing there. The back wheel won’t turn. It’s in gear.

Jersey Big Mike

100K mile club
Check this.
On the shifter arm on the transmission make a mark with a maker across the shift level and the rod/shaft it is attached to.
Move shifter arm and make sure that shaft moves with it.
If it does, you need to open the transmission top cover and check the shifter pawl area and check the shaft inside as well.

Jersey Big Mike

100K mile club
so if I understand you the shaft (inside red circle) spins, but the arm (green) does not move.
transmission.png

I can't tell from the manual if that assembly comes apart any further but it sounds to me like the shift prawl assembly may be broken (never heard of that happening but anythings possible I guess).

Have you removed the shifter arm from the outside of the transmission?
If you can spin that backwards or forwards by hand more than a few degrees I'd say that shaft is gone.

Ok, transmission experts -- speak up.

Woody1127

Yes. That is exactly where it appears the issue is. The shaft just spins there. I’m curious what the issue is? Is it splined there, a key, set screw. Can I take it out and weld it? Or spend the $90 for a new one? I know the shifter arm and shaft are splined. I can change gears fine by hand. So I think that’s the only problem. At the red circle.

Woody1127

Yes. That is exactly where it appears the issue is. The shaft just spins there. I’m curious what the issue is? Is it splined there, a key, set screw. Can I take it out and weld it? Or spend the $90 for a new one? I know the shifter arm and shaft are splined. I can change gears fine by hand. So I think that’s the only problem. At the red circle.
Shift pawl assembly. From wgg hgh at I see on the diagram

Sven

Got it. When you crashed, the foot shift arm spline, the rod, the anchor bolts all survived, including a spline sheer at the foot shift arm. The rod did not V as if bent with a curve, but the shift arm in the trans, that spline failed at the red ring area is the concentrated force that failed. No, spend the bucks and replace it.